Les Paul Classic Custom review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Classic Custom

Price paid: C$ 2200

Purchased from: L&M

I play using a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 and also run a Blackheart Handsome Devil. The guitar sounds good. Not as clear as my Gibson Standard, but can cover most songs that I play faithfully. When the gain is cranked you'll never know the difference. People say it is a bit bright, but if you know how to run your amps EQ and the tone knobs on the guitar you can fix that, if to your ears you think it needs fixing. I almost prefer to have it over bright so I can adjust accordingly than not having the option.

I play anything that sounds good to my ears. Rock, Blues, Classic rock... Anything really. This guitar can cover it all. It may have some issues with Metal though. I bought my first guitar in 1994 and have been playing on and off ever since. I also own a Gibson Les Paul Standard and an American Fender Standard Strat. If stolen I would probably try to get another one. Overall I'm very satisfied with this guitar and if you want it you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. I'm sure if you're lucky enough to get one you'll feel the same way about it as I do.

YouTube preview picture

This guitar looks and feels like quality and should withstand the coming apocalypse. In fact, I plan on using it as my shield when the world starts to end (assuming it ends December 21st). Strap buttons on Gibsons are a joke, I replace them all with Schaller strap locks. The finish should last a long time. The pots so far have held up nice (no scratchy-ness). I've had the guitar for almost a year now and haven't had any problems. I doubt any major issues will come up unless I accidentally break something.

The setup came surprisingly good out of the box. Pickups were set fine. The guitar came to me flawless. The guys at the store know how particular about quality that I am, so they make sure to send me only the best specimens. My only complaint is that the truss rod cover is angled a bit at the top screw, so that it leans at a small angle. I really like how shiny the guitar is and the 7 ply binding looks great. The baked maple fretboard doesn't clash with the color. My board came really dark. I was concerned that when it was sent it may be lighter in color.

Made in 2012 USA - Ebony Finish - 60s neck - 57 Classic Pickups - Baked maple fretboard with 22 frets - Acrylic inlays - Tune-O-Matic bridge - Grover Key stone tuners - 2 Volume and 2 tone controls - Split Diamond inlay - Solid body with weight relief, for those that don't know it has holes drilled into the body to remove some weight. The baked maple does the job just fine, I know this is a big debate amongst the non-purists. This guitar is flawless and looks great. This could be called the "Working mans Custom".

Way Cool JR.
    I know it's just a little thing but acrylic inlays instead of real MOP on a guitar that costs over 2k is just silly. IMHO
    gerrygtr62
    yeah, and also having baked maple, but hey, it's a worthy alternative to the rea; Custom, I love mine!!! I've since put on a DiMarzio Crunch Lab in bridge and DAMN, whatta difference!!!!
    slayer08739
    I have one of these in black and I must say that a rating of all tens if accurate. By far the best guitar I own and the best guitar I've played next to a JEM