Les Paul Custom 1968 review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Custom 1968

Before I bought this guitar I've never owned a Les Paul style guitar of any type. So first I bought the Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I liked the feel of it (I'm Normally a Gibson SG type person) so I decided since this was going to be my absolute last guitar I wanted to end with a BANG! So I looked painstaking looked for the perfect Les Paul... I saw some cool custom shopped guitars (such as the 1959 VOS, the 1957 Goldtop) but those were just "regular" guitar of their time. I wanted a Custom Shop guitar with the split Diamond and high grade woods, so I found this guitar and I absolutely loved it. This Guitar was unique in every way, it wasn't the Standard Black that Custom Guitars come in, for a custom shop guitar I found this finish absolutely stunning.The amp I play this Gibson through is not the greatest amp in the world and hopefully I change that amp (its a Line 6 spider 3 for those who are wondering) but this guitar oddly makes the AMP sound good which is a definite win in my books. For the type of music I normally play (which is Hard Rock and the Blues) this guitar is amazing.

Now a little about me. The style of music I play as I mentioned before is Blues and Rock and roll (varying from AC/DC to Guns N Roses all the way to BB King). I've been playing the guitar for 4 years now and I own in total 6 guitars. I have a Gibson SG Standard, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Fender Stratocaster Made in Mexico, and of course this Les Paul Custom. As for this guitar I really don't regret buying at all this to me is a definite benefit I have no regrets what so ever. Now if this guitar was stolen for me... I wouldn't go out and buy another one 3 reasons.., 1) this guitar is just extraordinary expensive, 2) This Guitar probably doesn't exist anymore or I have to go to another platinum Guitar Center in a different location being that there's only 20 something left in the whole US, and 3) this guitar was way to personal to me I already have personalized it to a point where I wont let it go, instead what I would do is probably take my guitar back and just beat the living hell out of the person just to the point where hes capable of seeing HELL, but not dead the person shall suffer. My favorite thing about this guitar is the fact this is like no other custom shop guitar out there. The Tri Burst colors, the 57 classics (rather than the 490r and 498t on the regular custom shop guitars) and the fact that its a 1968 reissue. I don't really have a hate for this guitar, I mean Maybe the Weight of the guitar but that doesn't really affect me that much. I compared this to a 1959 VOS Standard and a 1957 Goldtop and this one just stuck out not because it has the custom shop inlays on it but the Tri Burst as well really stuck out. Everything I wanted came with the guitar, and that's the Guitar itself I wouldn't want any other guitar, I'm really glad that this was my final guitar to my collection. People have their "Holy Grail" Guitar but this is My Holy Grail Guitar.

This guitar I have not actually taken it out for a live gig yet but for what I play at home it seems like its up to the challenge. When I bend the strings to an extreme it just refuses to get out of tune. The 57 classics seem like they are gonna last for a very long time the first time I played it being the smooth yet Loud sound the Gibson pick up emits. The strap buttons I have not changed out but they do hold the strap quite nicely. If I did go to a gig I definitely would not bring this out with me. I'm the type of person that looks at guitars as my children I maintain them and what not, and I cannot stand to see This one break if there is a mishap, I almost had a heart attack when I put a huge gash on my SG, none the less if I had to use it live I definitely would and I probably wouldn't need a back up either this guitar seems the new workhorse of my gear. The finish on the guitar also looks like its not going anywhere within my life time. It's a very high gloss finish finger prints come off as easily as they go on it.

When I checked this out at Guitar Center the first thing I asked is to see if this guitar was even set up properly (Mind you this guitar has been hanging on the wall for at least a year and a half, and this guitar exists only in the Platinum Guitar Center) but what I found amazing was that the intonation was just Perfect, along with the action for a guitar that was hanging there for quite some time. The pick ups on this guitar are just the best the only pick ups I've played with are Burstbuckeres on my Epiphone and 490T and 498R on my Gibson SG, I never realized how sweet and soothing the 57 Classics actually sound. The Flaws on this guitar was down to Minimal of course One flaw was Guitar Centers Fault which was the fact when they were hanging it they didn't put any cloth around the rubber hanger so it does have a tiny black mark on the sides of the headstock but I don't mind for a guitar that has virtually no flaws coming out of the Gibson Factory floor. Another Small thing is the fact that the gold seems to be gathering finger prints and corrosion a lot faster than the chrome on my Gibson SG but I don't mind that its replaceable.

This guitar was made in 2009 and is a reissue of the 1968 Les Paul Custom. Guitar was made in USA. This guitar is the Standard with any Gibson has 22 frets and has a 60's slim tapered neck. The top is AAA Grade Maple and the back is mahogany. The Finish is a prestigious Tri-Burst has a Black Border with red fading into a yellow in the center. This Guitar is has the Standard Gibson Hardware with Tune-o-matic Bridge and a Stop Bar Tail piece. The pickups are Gibson 57 Classic Humbucker's for the Bridge and Neck Pickups. This Guitar also has the Standard Gibson tone volume configuration. this guitar also comes with the Gibson Custom shop Hard Case and the goodies inside are cool too. Comes with a Certificate of Authenticity, Gibson 3/4 Jacks, and a Truss rod wrench.

leftinflinflon
    agreed, if you think it sounds good through a line 6 spider,....there is a big bold world out there waiting for you. Explore my friend
    norwaystar06
    SOADriff wrote: jammy827 wrote: you have been playing for 4 years and you have a gibson les paul custom, fender strat, gibson sg and a epi lespaul?!? ive been playing longer than that and i dont own anything above a squire! i know people who've been playing for over ten years and just about afford Mexican fenders. jeeze man. shoulda spent some more money on amps not guitars.Something tells me he has NO idea what a decent tone is, or common sense of what to buy.
    also not to mention having only ONE TONE AND ONE SOUND is not very inspirational not to mention creative the guitars i have all have different sounds the Strat makes a mellow blues sound on the clean setting on the amp, the SG gives me a powerful bright sound good for rock and roll. and the Les Paul custom gives me the thick ballsy Gibson sound that ONLY a Les Paul can achieve. so in my books having more guitars is being more creative because of all the different unique sounds each guitar gives out
    norwaystar06
    i do have an idea of what to buy and i do know what im trying to achieve with my sound. at the time the line 5 did give me the sound but after a while the sound bored me it didnt have that much of an interesting "flavor" so i tried to achieve a new sound. and i have a passion for guitars i love them just because i am an avid collector doesnt mean i am clueless about what sound im trying to achieve
    norwaystar06
    i did set up my priorities i got a brand new VOX Valvetronix VT100... i did want a tube amp at start and i have a large greater interest in guitars than amps so i bought more guitars rather than upgrading my amp but seeing my Gibson not achieve the sound i want i decided to finally upgrade the line 6 to a VOX a hybrid between tube amp and solid state
    KenG
    sparkeyjames wrote: Ya know with all the pictures available on the net you would think you could post the picture of a model that comes closer to the one your reviewing.
    The Mods post the picture not the reviewer. I've done some reviews and all you can submit is text!
    sparkeyjames
    lukas1324
    dude whats wrong witha ling 6? im going to agree that the like 15 and 30 and 50 watts are gay. but line 6 half stacks are like, beast yo. i kno tube amos kicks its ass, but for a solid state amp, its pretty damn good. its the best for heavy metal. imo. tho a nice tube amp can never be turned down :]
    aceward
    im 19, and have been playing for about 9 years. i use a line 6 spider 3 too! i also have a gibson les paul studio and is sounds good through the amp, i dont have a problem with it. i know there are wayyyy better amps in the world but untill i get the speaker cone in my 58 gibson ranger amp i have to use the line 6. nothing is wrong with a line 6
    r0ckth3d34n
    Sounds like half of UG is pissing and moaning again because they don't have a job or cash for new guitars... Quite sad. What difference does it make if the guy is playing it through a spider? If he likes the sound he gets out if it, so be it. He didn't specify any gigging, either.
    KenG
    Give the guy a break! Sounds like a lot of sour grapes here. Some people like their guitars more than their amps & there's nothing wrong with that. That amp is an entry level one but the reviewer is going to get a new one. I'd recommend tube as well but unless you're gigging anything under 30W with a 1x12 speaker would be a considerable improvement.
    Charlie4
    Even if it is possible to make that spider sing, there is such a better world out there... the world of tube amps.
    TheAbsentOne
    nailsarecruel
    I've heard of champagne tastes with box wine money, but I've hardly come across champagne money with box wine preference. This may be the only time I'm siding with the Line 6 bashers.
    bolezhinkov
    I'm not a fan of these guitars . . . I have played three or four and had nothing but bad experiences. stay away and look for something else.
    dementiacaptain
    um..... dude, how old are you man? cuz, it sounds like you are still getting control of your taste. you are going to buy more guitars. dont lie to yourself like that.
    SOADriff
    jammy827
    FreekBos
    Ow my god... This had got to be the most sexy guitar plugged into the worst amp you can imagine. That is cursing in church. Dude, go get a descent tube amp and get blown away!
    spitonastranger
    haha leave the man alone he said he's getting a new amp. Rockin' axe man, seriously beautiful piece of gear.
    PlayFreebirdNow
    Agreed. I think if you're buying this expensive of a guitar with that bad of an amp, you need to sort out your priorities.
    offspring4life
    norwaystar06 wrote: TheAbsentOne wrote: You're playing a Gibson Les Paul.. Through a Line 6 Spider.. You're raping your guitar stop that yeah it is rape hence foward why i upgraded the line 6 to a VOX Valvetronix VT100
    I dont care wtf you upgraded to. sound comes before asthetics ALWAYS! Sell you're guitar, you don't deserve the sound that a les paul provides.