Les Paul Double Cutaway AA Top review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Double Cutaway AA Top

Holy crap. The second I plugged this baby in I was pretty sure it's the one. Then I turned on the amp and I knew it was the one, it's sound is amazing. With most guitars you adjust the amp and get a different sound, with this thing, you roll back the volume a little, and it's kinda bluesy, and you can roll back the tone, and gets a little chunkier rock sound. I play this baby through a Marshall MG100HDFX, with a Boss MD-2, and a Snarling Dogs Whine O Wah. I don't use the wah that much with it though, as I just recently purchased it.

I must say this is an astounding guitar. I play many genres of music from rock, to clean stuff, to metalish now and then. I play through a Marshall MG100HDFX, and a Boss md-2 distortion pedal, and occasionaly a Snarling Dogs whine o wah. I love most aspects about it. there is nothing that I wish it had. It suits me perfectly. From the color, the neck, pickups, bridge, tuners, and the controls are very smooth. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't be able to afford another one for a long time, and I got quite a deal on this one as it is. I first was looking at some higher range epiphones, then I was shown some les paul studios, then some les paul standards, and I had settled on a LP Standard, when I asked if they had any double cuts. They only had a black one, so they special ordered me a blue one. And it is amazing.

I haven't had the guitar very long so I really can't talk about long term reliability, but I take care of my guitars, so I don't know how I compare to most. But, Gibson's are high quality, extremely durable, and I expect to own this guitar a very long time.

I can't really say much about this, there were no flaws in the fretboard, frets, hardware, tuners, nut, saddle, knobs or finish. It played perfectly right out of the box. The pickup selector is very smooth when changing between pickups, which is very nice.

22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, yellowish trapezoidal inlays, slim taper neck (very comfy), mahogany back, amazingly finished top, two volume knobs, and one tone control, plus, it's got two burstbuckers which sound amazing, Tune-O-Matic bridge, three way selector, grover tuners, it also includes a very nice case, with a combo lock, and 5 other latches for extra security, and a soft handle for carrying, because the case is a little bit heavy, and the guitar is a little heavy, not as heavy as a Standard LP though. But it's a nice touch.

jackson.88
    Tab Guy
    LP replicas are great, but I'd rather have the the real deal, especially if it's gonna be close to the same price.
    SG_Ronin
    chrishoulton wrote: too much like an SG. and i cant stand SG's!!!
    Blasphemy!!!
    cukd7x-a2-
    youre gay, thats the problem...
    genolk
    Dude, I wouldn't even bother reviewing anything... or at least I wouldn't check the commetns page after i'd reviewed something simply because a great big throng of people will just start whinging and whining about how you should be playing through a better amp or that it looks too much like something else. You're better off just playing it at home and letting everyone else play on their soapboxes
    PoP N FresH
    .....i ahve an ibanez starter guitar with the same double cutaway shape and i am a fan of gibson.....however this look too much like a prs rip off to spark my interest...gibson vs. prs is a no win battle as prs quality and feel are second to none in my opinion. go PRS!!!!
    Pingis_Or_Death
    cukd7x-a2- wrote: Pingis_Or_Death wrote: Theres just something about double cutaways that I don't like... youre gay, thats the problem...
    Yeah that's probably it... I kinda like the look of sg's though but there's just something about this guitar that I don't like.
    Shread_6009
    troykeenan
    Shread_6009 wrote: are't double cutaways just slightly different SG's? i heard thts what SG were until Les Paul refused to have his name on the guitar
    there was more changes than just the double-cut tho. they slimmed the neck and used a solid body for extra comfort. i had an sg and my friend has a dc: they are very different guitars.
    uldhppi
    You did good. Beautiful guitar, I am in the market for one myself. Funny how no one thinks a Gibson can get all tens.
    Wiland
    that looks very sexy i must say, but is it heavy like all other les pauls?
    mr. ...
    jackson.88 wrote: mmm looks like a prs. probably prs is better. a nice custom 24 ora a tremonti signature should be good =)
    yeah if u got four grand
    FISHFACE ROCK3R
    soupdragon
    rollcallcitizen
    cyclefreak207
    soupdragon wrote: It's a nice guitar, but for me it's not really a proper les paul. And i thought reviews that gave the guitar 10 for everything diodn't get published?
    they dont let them in.....unless they deserve all tens.
    cyclefreak207
    FISHFACE ROCK3R wrote: dat iz an awesum guitar it lookz great,soundz great. i'm going to buy one .....IF I HAD 4K!!!!! DATS MY DREAM GUITAR
    Dude, it was definately not 4 thousand. I only paid like a thousand nine hundred.
    skweezmylemon
    rollcallcitizen wrote: Jeez, guys. This guitar has the classic look and feel of LPs, not the small, stream-lined body of a prs. Saying it looks like a prs is like saying real strat looks like a jackson dk or sl. Way to much of a generalization. You must all be shredders. And regarding the SG subject. Have you guys ever held or even seen these guitars you're comparing? It's nothing like an SG. This guitar is like a LP Double Cut, just what it is.
    Thats the bottom line right there
    YYZX
    brandonmontana wrote: but this ruins the LP look. :[
    it that a bad thing?
    suicidehummer
    I played a $3,000 PRS and it felt like my Epi SG. Some Gibson SGs I've played have kinda sucked, but once I found the right one, I was hooked on Gibsons. It's harder to find a good playing SG than LP, because I guess Gibson cares less about the SG. And what's with all this "I hate SGs"? Why would you hate them? I love all Gibsons (except the Firebird, that guitar is just weird.)
    Jeff Gu
    I have a 1999 LP Double Cut in the transparent blue... the body is chambered, and the guitar weighs much less than the single cut Les Pauls... about the same as my strats, maybe a little less... I'm not a fan of the 490R and 498T pickups, so I've got a JB at the bridge and a P-Rails at the neck (switches for parallel, series, P-90 coil or rail coil) and I've put a roller bridge and locking Grover 18:1 tuners on it. These guitars are really are a joy to play. Slim 60's taper 24-fret neck, very big frets, great balance. Pickups are closer together because of the 24-fret neck, so the guitar is tonally quite different than the single cut LP's, but still retains much of the familiar LP sound... just a little extra character, not quite as dark.
    cyclefreak207
    Ferrarone wrote: roythereaper wrote: I play through a Marshall MG100HDFX I'm not convinced by this review any more. agreed, and giving it just 10s is strange
    dude..i didnt have the cash for a tube amp when i got a new one, but about the guitar, this is the most comfortable guitar i have ever played, just...play one i guess, and you will see what i mean
    Ferrarone
    agreed, and giving it just 10s is strange
    tim311mahoney
    i would love this guitar... i want to play one so badly but its hard to find one in a left handed version. good choice man.
    uvq
    well its what you prefere between the prs and the double cutaway.
    Shredder Guitar
    pretty sure this guitar has been around longer than you guys think. they are EXTREMLY comfortable to play.
    nathhan
    Looks absolutely stunning not sure what id go for a single or double cut though... I really want you to get a new amp though feels like a waste
    Limakontol
    whats with these all 10s... its not possible to have all 10s... i dont think i can trust this review... il just play it myself when i find one