Les Paul Double Cutaway AA Top review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Double Cutaway AA Top

I play rock, hard rock, grunge, blues, and stoner rock/metal and this guitar can do all of those styles pretty well. My band mainly plays hard rock and grunge and it does extremely well with those two in my opinion. I personally don't like it's tone for blues though, too sharp and bright. I play through a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 with a 1960A cab and no effects in my band and a Blackheart 5W combo and a Big Muff pedal at home, and with either one it sounds great. To my ears, this double cutaway LP doesn't sound very LP-ish. The guitar is rather bright and not as much of a creamy sound as the LP standards I played. However, I like it's unique sound. Being weight relieved, it has some of the charm of a semi-hollow's sound. It is as versatile as I need it to be, but I don't stray that far to be honest. However, I imagine can do most anything under the umbrella of rock.

I think that this guitar suits harder rock well. It has a sharper, more biting tone with fair output. I've been playing for just about 2 years, and I own a good selection of guitars including an MIA Fender 62RI Strat, an Agile AL2000, Epiphone SG, and an ES335 knockoff. I've previously owned and sold a Fender Baja Tele and a Schecter Tempest and I rank this one just behind the 62RI (and this is only out of personal preference). I really like it, but it's not my go-to guitar in most cases. If it got stolen, I would probably be tempted to get an LP classic/standard or a Gibson/Epi Elitist 335 though.

I think this one will withstand Live playing without a hitch. I'm not going to gig without a backup because I'm wary of strings breaking, but other than that I doubt this guitar would die in the middle of a show. I'm sure it's a dependable guitar, but I haven't played it Live yet. I never tested the strap buttons, I replaced the guitar's Standard ones with Schaller locks; however, I do this with every guitar from my $200 Agile LP to this $1500+ Gibson.

The guitar really shines in this category for me. The guitar was set up great from the factory. I couldn't find any flaws in the guitar. The trans blue finish is beautiful in person. Pictures really don't do it justice. The only real problems I have are very trivial ones. I'm not too crazy about the gold knobs and I'm planning on eventually replacing them with SG style ones, and I would have preferred pearloid inlays (but the ones on the guitar look good as well). It plays amazing, to sum it up. The neck is good for chording, but I think it's better for lead playing. The double cutaway shape has great upper fret access.

Double cutaway mahogany body, AA flamed maple top, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard with 22 frets. Dual humbuckers (Burstbucker Pros), 2 volumes, 1 tone. I believe it is weight relieved, it definitely feels and sounds like it. As with all Gibsons, made in the USA. Mine has the trans blue finish. I bought this particular double cut LP because it has independent volume controls, unlike the DC Pro and some of the others.