Les Paul GT review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul GT

Price paid: € 1890

Purchased from: Thomann.de

First of all: the guitar has 2 volume knobs and two pull/push tone knobs, so you can create double as much souds as with a normal Les Paul (in each setting, you can pull a knob to swith) The single coil sound is really amazing, it's perfect to play clean parts, it even has a bit of an acoustic sound in this setting. The humbuckers are not P90's, they are Seymour Duncan Alnico's. I basically am a blues/rock player, and this guitar is a godsend for these types. But actually, this guitar can really handle every style. Metal, funk, grunge, hardrock,... You have to decide for yourself how you use the humbucker-swith. In the neck position, it gives a really warm tone, excellent to play solo's like artists as Slash, Clapton,... In the middle setting, you can combine and adjust the 2 humbuckers. The bridge position gives a sharp, edgy tone, perfect for screaming and fast solo's. And the sustain is really amazing, when you keep a note, it just keeps sounding forever and gives that really cool feedback. Even when you set your volume really low, you can keep doing that, thanks to the high-tone filter. The GT is really a hidden treasure.

I'm playing for 4 years now, this guitar is my 17th guitar, and with I learned so far, I know absolutely sure I would have bought a guitar like this long time ago! When you played this Gibson (or any other Gibson with the same specs), any other guitar is just a cheap toy. I compared it to Fender-guitars, but Gibson just has that magic touch, you just have to play it to feel the rock 'n roll.

This guitar is BUILT to do gigs and Live performances. It is specially finished to withstand all climates, temperatures, even rough handling. When you hold the guitar, you can really feel it's strenght. The locking system for the cable is really handy too, you can't pull the cable without pushing the security knob. A detail, but really handy! Like said before, the grover tuners are very usefull too when you have to change your strings quickly. With this guitar, you won't need a backup guitar anymore, but I take a backup guitar with a tremolo, just to do songs that need the tremolo.

The guitar came perfectly set up. The strings are close to the neckboard, but they don't touch the frets so you don't have the annoying sound. The higher frets are easy to reach, it fits perfect in the hand, although the first week I had some problems. I was used to an Ibanez Satriani, witch has an extremely thin neck, but now, my GT plays like butter too. Tuning the guitar is very easy, it comes Standard with Grover tuners, so just clamp the strings in the tuners and they won't move a bit! The guitar has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, whitch keeps in tune amazingly! I use a lot of bends all the time and even after e week of playing 3 hours a day, it was still completely in tune! I couldn't believe my tuner, never seen such a reliable guitar. The only thing I miss is a tremelo, but on the other side, the more mechanical stuff on your guitar, the more chance you have to get out of tune or get other problems. Compared to other guitars, it's a bit of heavy, but with a good strap, it doesn't bother. It's a really solid guitar that will last forever, if proper used, however, I think if I would smash the guitar that it even wouldn't leave a scratch!

The guitar came Standard with the original case and straplocks. A screwdriver and humidifier were included in the case. The inside of the case is a very soft kind of fur, so it won't leave scratches in the guitar. The GT-version is a limited edition with some features that other Les Paul's don't have (2 bolts in the neck for more stability, straplocks, push/pull knobs for switching to single coil, locking system for the cable, grover tuners and flames on the paint) It looks very smooth and spontanious.

broken fusion!
    %90 of you who posted here are fall into the "huge douche " category of human being. congratulations
    Snoopz
    julienvercouter
    Actually, I still got them all and no, they're not gibsons :p so far, I didn't have any problems, hopefully it stays that way, but I allways read good comments about gibsons so I trust them.
    Casey6661
    i have a fender strat and ive had a gibson and i think that my fender is by far better less problems and it just sounds better in my opinion and im not a ****ing fender "fan boy" i just like my guitar and i dont work for fender just to clear things up
    bazman13
    what a good review. oh this guitar is perfect! it has sustain and flames and not buzzy thingum! i own more guitars than you! perfect 10! i can fell the rock reverberating through my veins! i wish all reviews were as helpfull as this
    RobertiusB
    I hope someday I'll be cool enough to play a guitar that looks as if its on fire. It takes a real cool person to do that. Bad grammar there by the way. Gibson Fanboy/Gibson Advertiser
    0h The Horror
    17 guitars = lolbullshitlol. This guitar is pretty bad. In every way. Looks like something you'd find in KB toys, for gibson standards it's tone is very poor, and the wood is crappy.
    VALISICUS
    washburn0c03 wrote: I wish I had 17 guitars. I would be the happiest little boy on the planet.
    K_Parker
    I am most definitely a fan of Gibson guitars, but ****... This kid needs to take Gibson's cock out of his mouth. The flamer pant job looks like shit, then again I guess I am just not Hard-X-Korr enough to play a guitar that looks like it's on fire... Maybe one day.
    philipp122
    You don't really seem to know what you're talking about. It's called low action and fret buzz, not "the strings were close to the frets but there was no annoying rattling sound thingy".
    POWERMETAL!
    nuthinbuttrubl8 wrote: big commercial brands are their own worst enemy. most people want an older strat or lp cuz it's made in america by an american not assembled from foreign parts by a foreigner in america... i'm part of the revolution of small town local guitar builders. i'd never buy another commercial guitar again.
    check out http://www.myspace.com/atomicguitarworks www.atomicguitarworks.com great guitars. just letting people know that it doesnt have to have a sticker that says fender or an inlay saying 'gibson' to be quality..
    POWERMETAL!
    hmm doesnt talk about the bad neck issues or the intonation problems related to flexing headstocks recently coming from gibson... wonder why they wouldnt mention the fact that i've seen seven gibsons with the same problem. save your $ and the heartache, buy a epiphone.
    nuthinbuttrubl8
    Kelicon
    if u click on his name u'll see it was made a day before this article... gibson review imo, even despite the horrible english
    damskippy
    Funny thing about Gibsons, they aren't cookie cutter guitars like Strats. You can play an USA made strat on the east coast and it will play just like a Strat you'd find on the west coast, very consistent. With Gibson, on the othe hand, you must shop around to find the one that suits you. That's how it goes with a hand made guitar. BTW, I wouldn't take anything for my LPC.
    FantomLord
    Ugh, Gibsons are terribly over-priced. IMO your paying like $1000 for the Gibson name and $800 for the guitar. Gibsons just aren't as good as they were years ago. Bring on the flaming Gibson fanboys.
    damskippy
    Snoopz wrote: Gibson Rocks dude, & it's amazing especially it's neck wow it's magic, but I don't Know who's better Gibson or PRS
    Gibson, by far!
    Coolvortex
    I own this guitar, one of the few GTs without flames (not that there are many GTs around anyways), flash red with a mirrored scratchplate, and tonelocks tuners and bridge (I think this guy's guitar has them too, GTs don't have tuneomatic and grover tuners). Anyways, IMO, this guitar is a true masterpiece. I love its hotrodded sound. The bridge pickup reminds of a PAF but more powerful, still not as powerful and trebly as a Super Distortion. I don't know about the wood, I just know it sounds punchy, clear and full, and you don't have to bother about anything because with the dunlop lockers, it won't ever fall, and with the neutrik locking jack, it's impossible for the jack to unplug. Even if maybe the guy was a little bit exaggerating, most of the things he said are true to me.
    Pocopot
    I went to try one todwy. Used for $1,100.. It was nice but that's all. The store also has a used 'Studio' for $800. More or les the same guitar.
    Grif22
    For those complaining about the number of guitars: I've been playing for around 3, and have 10, myself (including my acoustics). And that's what I own right now. It's not inconceivable that this guy has traded through, or bought/sold his way through, to total 17 guitars. Also, it looks like English isn't his first language.
    guitarguy_tom
    who needs 17 guitars in 4 years????seriously! thats like freaking slash or something (he has likem100 though) but what ever!
    darcylespaul
    IsaacMcLeod : Haha, Or, maybe he ran his car into a Gibson dealer.... and went though 15 guitars... heh, POSTED: 07/26/2008 - 06:16 pm / quote |
    so ****ing true, i have to agree with most of the dudes, this guys being a poser who sucks at spelling (or typing) but i do like the look of that, and i played one at my local shop pretty sweet i have a epiphone lp standard its almost as good as any gibson, dont overpay!
    do_re_mi_man
    Bought one of the non-flamey, straight red versions...(not because of any review, I actually put one in my lap and fell in serious like)...okay, not "love" per se, but it's not bad, even for Gibby's ever-sliding, hit-'n-miss quality. This particular model is a surprising hit. Fit and finish were, as I mentioned, very surprising -- had a LP Catalina awhile ago; nice guitar, lighter, but binding/paint areas were something out of a failed luthier school project...very disappointing, but unfortunately typical of Gibson's recent issues. This GT, on the other hand, is...nice! While I didn't buy it for the coil-tap feature, I admit I have tapped the neck pickup more than once; works well when you wanna kill the heaviness of the beast and allow the bridge to rise a bit. Never been much of a lead guy, I'm afraid, but am becoming one with this guitar. One thing I detested: the mirrored pickguard and control plates. As mine is one of the 400 non-flame GTs (GOW #15), it came with these idiotic mirrored pieces of shite! ...like the mirrored inlays aren't bad enough, we've gotta suffer the mirror theme on the pickguard as well??? What Gibson marketing nutjob thought, "Hey, I know...it'll like reflect the stage and spot lights all over the auditorium, baby!!!" Simply gay...(not that there's anything wrong with that Anyway, I removed these and replaced them with simple and classic black. Now, it looks more like a serious (and very unique) axe and less like a marketing toy. Sound is awesome. Very versatile and full. Weight is an issue for some. I tend to like all that it brings tonewise so much, I'll live with a wider strap and sore(er) shoulder Laters all, and thanks for reading my .02 (P.S. anybody calls me a Gibson rep and I'll...well, I'll feel really bad anyhow) -- personally, there's not a better humbucking guitar made outside of my custom Novax, but once you've played something THAT nice...well, Gibson is just a Gibson
    SuperFlyinMonke
    Yes, this guy needs to go back to school. Yes, he doesn't seem to shop around, just looks online for what the best looking guitar is and buys it. The paint job does look cheap. No guitar deserves 10's and I'd be surprised if he's actually good enough to know what a perfect guitar was if it beat him to death. Gibson's quality leaves something to be desired and they seem to be more focussed on technology than craftsmanship, but if you do find that one that blows you away, it is entirely possible for it to be the love of your life. And honestly, when was the last time anyone saw a coil tapped LP? I wish the Gibson name was as reliable as some assume, but my 02 SG is holding up and kicking the shit out of anything I've played lately. In finale, if it plays like a dream and you have enough money for it to be real, do it up. Just write a better review that actually lets people know what it's all about. P.S. How can paint look spontaneous unless it's been jizzed on?
    DesolationJD
    Coldmystery
    One more thing... Gibsons aren't hand made. There is a factory, machines make them, maybe they are hand assembled.... sometimes but you will find no large company like this hand making these instruments.
    Coldmystery
    I have played many tele's, a few ibanez, and the JP music man, and i have played different les pauls. Must be something i'm missing but i dont get no "magic touch" or "sweet tone machine" or anything else awesome out of these... It's an ok guitar but there must be something im not catching. I just cant get down with these.
    keavader
    DesolationJD wrote: ukh ... i wonder if even slash had 17 guitars in his first 4 years ... or maybe Mr malmsteen,or Hendrix or even Michael angelo ... LOL ... i would kill the president of any state to get 17 guitars in the next 2 years (i've bin playing two years already) ... 1 was a cheap make cz i wasn' sure i was interested in guitars and the new one Ibanez grg170 dx black ... i like the fret inlays of gibson ... shit this mother is bullshitting ... 17 in 4 years ?! his parents must be ignorant son of a *****
    Kill the president of ANY state? Well good thing my state doesn't have a president. Actually, I don't think any do..... I agree with most of the comments though. I think it looks pretty cool, but not for 1800 dinero.
    IsaacMcLeod
    piebot9
    or maybe he is from a upper class family who get what ever they want who never worked for a penny in his life
    Friendly Stoat
    **Nero** wrote: well...i dont like gibson guitars...BUT somehow i liek this one.
    ^ that. It looks awesome in that colour.
    metallax57
    Guitarism12 wrote: How the hell did you go through 17 guitars in 4 years :/
    +5 thats such a load of shit review. and a load of shit guitar. the flames look like something out of a kids show. payin another like $2000 for tuners ($50), straplocks ($15), and extra bolts (50 cents each)? u need somethin new to spend ur money on. like a grammer book.
    Ryg
    [quote]How the hell did you go through 17 guitars in 4 years ://quote] +1
    noodlegts
    Although I'm always skeptical of someone who gives perfect tens, I really don't think this person works for Gibson... they would have picked someone more competent in english, for one (as someone else had mentioned). I think that this review was written by someone who just got their guitar and is very 1) excited and 2) happy about it. That's all. I remember when I reviewed my Fernandes Ravelle.. I still think it ges perfect 10s lol.
    alex-led-zepp91
    RU Experienced? wrote: I feel like if this were a company review they would have had someone who's more competent write the review. Just read the impressions, not a single grammatically correct sentence in there.
    +1 "I'm playing four years now" "When you played this gibson" stupid fanboy
    sesslerite
    Ryg wrote: [quote]How the hell did you go through 17 guitars in 4 years ://quote] +1
    JackWhiteIsButts
    TheFly_1990
    Guitarism12 wrote: How the hell did you go through 17 guitars in 4 years :/
    I reckon, they were all Gibsons too, c'mon, enough of these, don't we need genuine player reviews not company perfect ten reviews on UG?