Les Paul Junior Special review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Junior Special

Purchased from: Friend

This guitar can play any type of music you throw at it. With the Mini-Buckers this guitar can play anything. Although I play blues and rock mostly I tend to play all type's of music from punk to reggae to country and this guitar gives heavenly cleans, awesome leads, and the heaviest distortion. I play this on a Marshall AVT50H head and a Fender 4X12 Cabinet. It has a very Throaty sound, I have a few guitars and when I Switch to the Gibson from say my Strat I just look at the Les Paul and say "wow this things got some BALLS!" As far as pedals and effects are concerned Im sure it would sound good, but I only have experiance running a cry baby wah, and it sounds excellent.

I hate when people say that a guitar will make you play better, well this guitar will make you never want to put it down (so eventually it will make you better). I've been playing a while now and own 3 other guitars and a few little practice amps and the Marshall 1/2 stack I don't think I could go on if my guitar got stolen or lost. I would have to replace it immediately. By far the best guitar I ever played. My suggestion - go play a PRS and a Strat and a Jackson they're all AWESOME guitars. In the end it's personal choice mine is the les paul jr special (no longer in production so you'll have to find a used one) - I've just given you MY opinion hope it's helpful!

This guitar can, does, and will continue to play live. I will probably end up passing this onto my kids when I die (and im 21) so in other words im sure this guitar will last forever. The finish may get the Vintage look from playing it so much. But in my opinion that adds personality. I would say to invest in strap locks, I've had a few close calls before I got mine. I would use it at a gig with out a back up.

As this guitar was purchased used I can't really comment on the condition it came from the factory, but when I bought the guitar it only had a few tiny nicks in the finish that were done by the previous owner. The finish still gleams (this guitar is played a few hours a day everyday) there is some wear and tear on the finish starting to appear where my hand/arm rubs against it from playing so much, but besides that no complaints - oh yea, my pickup selector Switch did make some funny noises and sometimes would completely cut out. Quick spray of electrical component cleaner and presto - like new. The action on this guitar is so smooth, plays so smooth!

Made in USA of course Solid Mahogany body Natural Mahogany finish Mahogany set neck Indian Rosewood fretboard (22 fret) Pearl trapazoid inlays Chrome tuners 3 way pickup Switch controlling 2 Seymour Duncan Minibuckers (custom) 2 Volume, 2 Tone controls Gibson Tune-O-Matic Bridge and stop tailpiece Came with Hard Case(Gibson w/ Pink interior),Strap,Cable *This is purchased from a private seller who happened to be a good friend. The guitar is usually somewhat more expensive then I paid for it* Extra Note - The chrome tuners and the pickups are not stock/original from Gibson. however this particular guitar may be a special model(maybe the bob marley) because I havent been able to find another junior special with the trapzoid inlays. They all seem to have just dots.

Fenderdog
    For the record The Junior came out in 1954. The Special came out in 1955 not 1954. Second of all, This guitar comes with some great sounding P90s. The combination of the P90s and baked maple neck, makes this sound brighter than most Juniors or Specials. The Gibson Junior Special with P90s is a great guitar. I have a satin cherry one I just got.
    Fenderdog
    The P90s in this guitar have ALNICO V magnets just like the original Juniors and Specials. The one the guy reviewed on here doesn't even sound like a Junior Special. His has minibuckers and, metal tuners, definitely not the same guitar.
    alfiebradic
    possibly the best les paul, though the BFG looks horrible, i can see that would sound better, with a burstbucker 3 and a P90...
    Der Bomber
    AngryGoldfish
    roland_96
    5dilloneastoe wrote: available in black finish?
    I have one in black. I agree with this guy. It can play anything from Ramones to nirvana.
    GreenDayfan445
    AngryGoldfish wrote: I do believe they are finished, as the guy mentions in his review. I really want this guitar but I can't find it anywhere.
    Well Gibson is still selling this guitar but it can only be bought at special stores.
    GreenDayfan445
    Der Bomber wrote: Doesn't it resemble the Gibson Melody maker, I mean would the MM be like a cheaper quality Les paul jr? I sure hope that it does!
    If i got you right here you think that the junior is almost like the MM, right, but it's not since the MM has only a normal singel-coil and the JR has a p-90 wich is a better p-up adn the JR looks way cooler.