Les Paul Signature T review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Signature T

Price paid: C$ 2000

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

This guitar was made in USA, 2013. It has 22 Medium Jumbo frets. It has a solid maple top. The rest of the body and '60s neck is mahogany. The neck and back of body are finished in black satin, it is built for speed. It is a Les Paul with a tune-o-matic bridge. It has 2 passive pickups; '57 Classic, and '57 Classic Plus. Both of the pickups can be coil-tapped for even more versatile tonal options. It has 2 volume, and 2 tone knobs as well as a 3 way pickup switch. It has locking Grover tuners. It also comes with a custom Gibson case.

My music style is rock, blues and metal. This guitar can hit those three bases perfectly. I play through a Vox modelling amp as well as an 100 watt Peavey SS, and it sounds like a dream. This guitar is surprisingly bright for a Les Paul, especially using the single coil sound and a treble boost. It sounds very strat-like. It's notes are very defined, and you can hear every piece of chords. Very nice pickups. I also play jazz on this guitar, and it's sound can become very dark by rolling back the tone knob and using the neck pickup. It is versatile but I would no recommend it for nu metal (which I personally do not care for). It has a very vintage tone.

The guitar was not setup very well, I was given a free setup however upon purchase. The strings used to hit the edge of the bridge before entering the tailpiece. Setup has corrected this issue. The pickups are also very good, and balanced. I love the slime '60s neck for fast fretwork. The top is bookmarked perfectly and I love the line down the center of the AA flame maple top. I got mine in translucent ebony colour and it looks like a AAA top. The rest of the guitar functions perfectly. I'll give it a 9 simply because of the bridge.

This guitar is pretty new however it is Gibson quality. I bring it back and forth to school, and its pretty good for jamming with my band. The strap buttons seem good enough, it wont fall anytime soon, the levy's strap I use is quality. I can definitely depend on this solid hunk of wood. The case can be dropped down stairs and survive! In the 2 months I have had it for, the finish looks the same (no dents), and I play it alot. It is nitrocellulose lacquer so go easy on this beauty. No issues to speak of its, she can take abuse!

Good Points:
- 57' Classic, and Classic Plus pickups, with coil tapping.
- Solid tuners and bridge, never audibly out of tune.
- Blues, rock, jazz, metal
- Sleek '60s neck, good for fast movements.

Bad Points:
- Pickups and body shape make it a bad choice for shredders, go with an Ibanez for that.

I have been playing for 5 years and this guitar can handle it all. I have owned 3 guitars, it is currently my only electric. If I could afford it, I would buy two, this beast is like a traditional/modern hybrid. I compared it to AM Strats, Teles, Gibby SQ's, LP Studios, and Traditionals. The Les Paul Signature T is perfect for me.

mitchoshea
    *UPDATE* Sent my Signature T back to the shop and they fixed the binding problem and leveled the frets, plays like a dream now and can hammer on / pull off the high E without getting it caught!
    bradleydhill
    I purchased a signature T late 2013 on eBay from a motivated seller for $1199 USD in the tobacco Finnish. Other then my 04 highway one start I picked up for $300 CAD, It's one of the best guitar purchases I've ever made. I love all the vintage tones I can get out of this guitar. It does have a static charge problem when it dries out. But I just make sure to keep it in the case with humidifiers thru the winter months and its gone.