Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Coda Music

The sounds you can get out of this guitar are amazing. I play a lot of metalcore (heavy dist, melodic staccato rhythms) and with my Boss Metal Zone and Boss Phaser, the tone is bone-crushing. The fact it has passive pickups does not mean the tone is weak by any means, but the harmonics could be more prominent than they are. The low end produced by the thick slab of mahogany is fantastic, and powerchords sound as menacing as they should for that style. Overdriven, the guitar gives a bright, fat, chirpy response through my 50-watt Marshall MG - great for chordal rhythmns. With my Dunlop GCB-65 wah, amazing funk sounds can be obtained. All I have mentioned above is on the bridge pickup. The neck pickup gives a very thick, full sound with less treble and more mids and lows - great for bluesy leads, but not the choice pickup for metal. The clean tones are very good, but could be a little better. They are very open and bright, a little darker with the neck p/u. Rolling the tone off a little makes for a better sound with both pickups, in my opinion- not everyone will agree with that. Obviously it can't make those Fender sounds, but that's what you buy a Fender for, for god's sake. No coil-tap guitar will give you clean sounds quite like a Fender does. The Les Paul sounds better with some kind of distortion, even a small amount of gain. The sheer amount of sounds you can coax out of a Les Paul by merely using the controls on the guitar is fantastic.

For the music I play this is a guitar that delivers big time in the sound department. However, for the music I play the construction is not right for me. I now know I want an unfinished maple neck (like my Yamaha Pacifica 112, a real killer with the duncan I put in the bridge), and a thinner neck with a sleeker profile. I have tried the '60s neck but that is still not great for serious metal playing in my opinion - the nitro lacquer is a pain. If it were stolen, I would not buy another one, but probably buy a Jackson DK1 (after saving up abit more) or an Ibanez J-custom model. I love the Les Paul sound, but I know it is not the guitar for me. Before I go to uni, I will sell this, even if it doesn't get nicked. Nice work Gibson, but this guitar does not suit me, even though I love the way it looks (to finish on a good note).

Les Pauls are always very solid and this will last for decades easily, if I don't sell it off and buy something else. The strap buttons are small, and only good if you don't gig. Even then straplocks might be advisable (I haven't done it myself yet but I will). I would not use it without a backup because the neck might start needing to be wiped down every 5 seconds, but for reliability purposes I would never need a backup, as this is totally solid. NB I am not a gigging musician, but a 1st year IB student. The weight does not bother me; only pussies are bothered by the weight of a Les Paul. If you can't handle the weight, you're weak. Go do some weight training.

Can't say about factory set up, as I got it used. Now I have got it, the action is low and easy to play, although there is bad buzzing on the low E and the G string, and a little on the top E too. This gets on my nerves a little and I might go and get it sorted - I know this is because the action really is very low. I can't hear it when I have the amp on, but I still want it sorted. Pickups were adjusted perfectly and hardware was all in order. No significant dinks anywhere, although pickups were dirty, but I sorted that out with some metal polish. All parts felt high-quality, like Gibson parts usually are. The fret job was OK. I will say that after playing for a long time, the neck starts to feel a little sticky because of the varnish, and playing very quickly seems difficult. Also the 50's neck can be a pain because playing quickly on the upper frets can be difficult. This really annoys me, and sometimes I think about getting something Zakk Wylde-esque done (shaving the neck) as the neck is so fat and gets sticky. Some of the upper frets seemed a little discoloured and badly cut, maybe. This guitar needs another set-up, I've only had it 4 months and these little niggles make me think about trading it for an Ibanez or Jackson- a proper shred guitar.

Les Paul Standard, Latte Creme, made 2003, USA, 1 year old before I bought it used in April '05, basically mint. The chrome pickups were a little dirty, but that was nothing that couldn't be polished out. All stock features: 2 burstbuckers, 2 vol 2 tone, TOM bridge, '50s rounded neck profile, green key tuners, mahogany body with AA flame maple top, rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays, mahogany neck. Coda music gave me free polish with it, all in all an absolute bargain for what I paid for it. Colour is not a preference of mine, I would have preferred Iced Tea, but you can't be picky when you're buying second hand. Also I would have preferred a '60s neck. I saved up and got this for my 16th b'day.

sheamanSG
    SG! : this guitar sounds good i guess thats why good rock bands use them...well id get one but it costs alot ( in australia) it cost around 2 grand wouldnt a epiphone Les Paul be the same as a gibson Les Paul if you changed the hardware and pickups??
    Why go through all the trouble putting the hardware into an epi lp. AT least if you buy a Gibson your moneys safe. And you'll always get what you paid for it or better.
    beanhead
    the 08 model is mint. fat-ass neck, light as a feather, the sustain is incredible! its versatile too, i prefer playing this for heavy metal over my jackson dk1 w/EMGs!
    iamawsomeguitar
    WOW lots of comments i just wanan say my frien as a 1996 gibson les paul standard not if the date matters) but really i dont like it
    sewoo55
    fenders are very expensive too
    pxr5
    I dont think its overrated or over priced. Its the best guitar in the world thats why its expensive.
    dadudeguy
    JayWalk wrote: stop complaining about gibson being overpriced, if you don't have money, live with it. just buy cheap ass guitars according to your own income, don't be jealous to those people who can buy gibson guitars peace. gibson is awsome, the best guitar ever.
    maybe..just maybe its not jealousy. maybe we're all just sick and tired of people thinking that if they pay an absurd amount of money they are getting the greatest guitar ever. and to guitarfreak222: Hendrix: Fender Stratocaster Steve Vai: Ibanez Jem Paul Gilbert: Ibanez PGM Yngwie Malsteem: Fender Stratocaster the list goes on and on
    JayWalk
    guitarfreak222
    Robin Watkins wrote: guitarsolo_17 wrote: overrated get a stratwingedgopher wrote: an overrated guitar but not bad Anyone who says these are overrated is just sore cos they can't afford one. Just ask Slash or Jimmy Page.
    I wouldn't say overrated, I would say over priced.
    yunie92992
    So what,LP's are great guitars. Breathing is overrated,just stop breathing.If you like LP's,you like them,if you are a Fender guy or girl,that's great. It's what sounds good to you that matters.
    Iliaz
    Just because everyone mistreats Paula's for there crappy music atempts dosnt mean the Les Paul is becoming a bad Instrument. Never kill the messenger, my Lad!
    warrenguitar
    The whole fade into black isnt my style but this guitar will make up for it with its sound quality!
    IbenezIceman
    the third reviewer is a dick.he plays metal core and he bought a les paul standard.he says there is no tone.thats because he is playing the wrong music for the guitar.dont take notice of that.also he says the powerchords dont sound as mean or whatever.this is probably because the burst buckers may not be for metal core that has lots o gain and power chords.hes a douche.
    fretboardman
    jeowy wrote: as much as these guitars are amazing, because of how amazingly common they are these days (due to popularity), the tone is beggining to become boring and generic, much like the fender strat. the difference is, Gibson change the tone slighlty each couple-of-years or so, whereas fender do f**k all. hopefully gibson will make that extra gamble and make some major changes soon to keep it fresh. a lot of guitar manufacturers would be too frightened to do that.
    You serious? Boring? are you kddin? come on. A good tone is never boring
    Matthiasberndt
    I have had a strat for 2 years before I got a les paul standard. takes a little time to get used to but damn, the first time i plugged in in it just blew me away. Such a huge difference. I still use the strat, but when I play metal with my band this guitar just provides the tone and sound I want. An amazing guitar that kicks all the other guitars butts!
    SupermanIsDead
    Rocker115 wrote: guitarsolo_17 : overrated get a strat FUCK You!!!
    Ibanez187
    reddeltasev wrote: ESP eclipses are better
    ive heard that the ltd ec-1000 deluxe and the esp eclipse 2 are almost exactly the same.
    Ibanez187
    Orneblad wrote: I've a LTD Kh-602 (the Kirk Hamet signature) and I'm thinking of a les paul standard. Is it a good idea or should I by a amp instead?
    Is the ltd kh-602 a good guitar ive been thinking about buying that, a fender american strat, or an ltd ec-1000 deluxe.
    Ibanez187
    \ Is the kh-602 a good guitar ive been thinking about buying that or a ltd ec-1000 deluxe.
    reder677
    i love the gibson lp but 2k is too much even for something that standard. and sk8er69, get a standard
    sk8er69
    ok i dont know if this should be hear but gibson best guitar company on earth(in my opinion) but im getting a les paul soon and cant decide between the classic and the standard what would you reccomend?(this question is to anyone who wishes to answer)
    J.J.G.
    sewoo55 wrote: fearthecalm wrote: best guitar ever, beats the hell outta shitty fenders, people who play fenders, only do so cause they cant afford one of these amazing instruments, you get one, and you'll sleep with this baby every night. If you like fender neck styles tho, play ibanez, cause fenders action is horrible and sound like your playing a plastic box with strings.Les Paul has body! fenders are very expensive too
    huge price drop last month
    studioalpine09
    SupermanIsDead wrote: Rocker115 wrote: guitarsolo_17 : overrated get a strat FUCK You!!! FUCK You bitch. this guitar IS overrated. even ibanez AR300 sound better than this gibby.
    seriously? who wants to pay more than $100 for a guitar thats is held together by a few bolts and a shit ton of plastic? life is too short to play shitty guitars, and les pauls are good, now get that ibanez and fender trash outta here!
    Mwoit
    Nay, the wood combo in Epiphone (except the plain top) is Mahogany / Alder, while Gibson wood combo is Mahogonay / Maple. The wood combo is wrong, so you'd never get the same sound with the Epiphone.
    SG!
    Cowboys9224
    you people are forgetting that this guitar is what defines the rock sound with a combination of marshall stack. I have a strat and a les paul and they both are great Thats true
    munkyman546
    Mahoru
    It's one of the best guitars I've played and owned ever! But it costed me 1300 ?, not that amount!
    raul_garza90
    oooo is so much money I think that is MUCH better to pay 4000 and buy Dave Mustaine Esp Axxion haha but I dont have money
    okayplayer
    Each guitar has its own distinctive sounds and special feels to them but you cant go wrong with this guitar its bone crushing sound just echos smoothly out of it and the playability is nice for a shred god I am a very proud owner of my Les Paul Standard
    eplp22
    They sound and feel better than any other guitar. People that complain because they are too heavvy are big ****ing pussies. Definetly isn't overrated. Not overpriced either compared to PRS guitars. But PRS guitars got better features, but as far as the feel, and action, Les Pauls are best.
    aboy brushedred
    kanguuu wrote: it can make many sounds with the effects padel. ... do you not think it might be the pedal that makes those noises not the guitar
    Haha he's right, the RP80 is a guitar modifier. You could hook up a fender squire and it'll most likely come out the same. Well it does for me =P since i used a new les paul gibson strd and my old fender squire
    91chevywt
    It's a shame the fit and finish is so poor on so many of these. When they are put together properly they really are great instruments. These are so expensive because PEOPLE WILL BUY THEM NO MATTER WHAT THEY COST. But some people don't understand that most expensive does not equal best quality. They can dress the frets and spray the body as poor as they want but they will sell because everybody wants a les paul
    kanguuu
    it can make many sounds with the effects padel.
    malkaroee
    Anyone who says these are overrated is just sore cos they can't afford one. Just ask Slash or Jimmy Page.[/quote] i have prs custom 24 so i can afford but they are tottaly overated
    skysmash
    The guy who says he has a 63 les Paul that's worse than an ESP is obviously a lier. Gibson didn't make les Paul's In 1963.
    Holy Tone
    Mmm.. fair bit of hate towards other brands ere lol i find the gib lp strd a bit too expensive ;L so ill probs grab a heritage cherryburst epi lp standard.. slap some 57 classics on it for like $200 epis like.. $1000 in australia.. godamn rip off -.- maybe give it some character mis-match the machine heads make em rainboow like a boss so set me back like $1500 instead of like $4000 for the 2008 lp standard.. which is a total rip.. plus i can use the epi as an oar "Up Shit creek with an Epiphone les paul" yeah son and it beats my ibanez watchamacallz it any day
    moshredder
    overated or not, all you have to do is choose whatever guitar that sounds best to your ears
    HeadlessCross
    Why are you people saying this guitar is 'overrated' when you're not posting a statement to back your opinion up?
    R0ck3rd4z
    AznInvazn666 wrote: damnnnn 3000 dollars id rather pay another thousand for the alexi laiho guitar
    thats because ur an idiot