Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard

The most important thing about the world of guitars and music. The sound. When I was looking for a new guitar after selling my old ESP LTD KH-602 I looked for a guitar with a tight and full overdrive and a good rich clean. I tried every guitar in the shop, but none suited my needs (Parker, ESP, Ibanez, Fender, Gibson Studio's). They all had great sounds, but htey didn't have both the clean and the overdrive I was looking for. I tried a little more and compared a little more and the more I played the more I realized that my needs where a bit crazy, if you can say it like that. And after a couple of hours I tried a Les Paul Standard and I was sold. I first tried it dirty and the sound was (is) amazing. Good punchy, fat and full sound. My sound. Then I tried the clean and it really blew me away. It was so clean and so rich of tone and depth that I got to own one myself. My style is classic rock, hard rock and metal, but I also play a lot of blues and this guitar gives me what I want and I am sure that it will deliver me my sound for the next ten years at least. I wouldn't use it for jazz, but that's probaly just me.

For my style (blues, rock, hard rock and metal) this is an extremly good guitar. It's versatile and the sound is good at all of my genres. I play it with an old Laney AOR Pro-Tube Series from 1988 and it's a damn good match. This guitar will not be stolen so I won't tell you about what I'd do about that. I recommend this guitar if you play the same genres as me, but not if you are into pop or something like that. I hope you can use this review!

I haven't played live with this yet, but I played it for my family and it didn't let me down there. I don't think it will let me down though, it's solid as a rock. Hardware and strap buttons are nice and they don't look like they are going to fall off in a near future. Yes I would use this live, but with a backup, just in case I break a string.

The action was set allmost perfect when I bougt it and the shop I bought it from will adjust it for free if needed. Good service. The action was low, but not so low that it'd buzz or anything. The pickups, the bridge and the tuners where set perfect and the intonation is set well as well. The finish is very nicely done there's only one thing about it and that's where the neck is connected to the body. The paint is not flawless righ there.

This guitar comes with a very nice hardcase all though my case stinks worse than my socks after a football game. But that doesn't change the fact that it's hard as a stone. It has 22 frets on a very nice rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays. The pick ups are two Burstbicker Pro and they sure deliver a good, tight overdriven sound as well as a good clean clean tone. The body is made of mahogany with an AA maple top, but mine has the ebony black finish so I can't see the wood. The neck is made of mahognany as well. It's a big guitar and it's much heavier than Ibanez, ESP and Fender. The facy that the guitar has a quite big and heavy body makes the playing betterbecause it really feels like playing with something that just delivers. And this guitar does deliver.