Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Wembley Guitar Centre

I chose a Les Paul as it fits directly with the hard rock, sleeze metal and punk which I play for example Guns N' Roses. It will fit this sound perfectly as you may expect. I play this guitar through a flextone II therefore allowing me to gain any sound I desire from this guitar, I also use a standard crybaby and an Ibanez Tube Screamer infront of the distortion to tighten the sound for epic solos and windeled parts. Ouch, Les Pauls can pop and crack like most guitars and I have played around 4 Les Paul Standards and this is the case with all of them. The sound is rich and full however peeling back the volume you can thin the sound for those biting moments however with volume whacked up this guitar has balls! This guitar has a classic and beautiful sound however I'm not content, I am going to invest in a pair of nailbomb pickups by bare knuckle which use the same alnico V magnets but with more punch and aggression.

The guitar is a perfect match for all that I play and can also be used for the blues, Indie and metal. I also own an RG which has been customised and a Tanglewood acoustic. I asked a million questions when purchasing the product to cover all the bases. If it were stolen or lost I'll definetly buy another although it wouldn't be the same and I'd have to wait untill the insurance payout came through. I love this guitar as it does all that I ask for. I'm not content with just one!

What is brilliant about these guitars are that they are real workhorses which withstand a beating unlike more inconsistant Strat style and RG guitars. The hardware on these things are suppose to last a lifetime and this is the case here with Gibson construction improving after a slight lag at the start of 2000. I have gigged Les Pauls with backup as strings can be unreliable not just the guitar however for most gigs I will play the guitar for a good 2 hour set without having to put it down.

The finish is beautiful, it is striking and is only matched in personality ounce pluged in. The pickups where correctly adjusted, the top was bookmatched, the bridge routed perfectly and all the frets filed correctly. There is only one flaw with my guitar which I have noticed and that is there is a minor streak in the rosewood which appear as the wood gets older, It does not affect the playability nor the looks of the guitar. My mate played it recently and claimed the action to be a little high however I feel this is not the case in the slightest.