Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard

Price paid: $ 1975

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Well I play a lot of Metallica, AC/DC, GN'R (Appetite only), a lot of Rhoads, Zeppelin, and now I'm even starting to dip into some blues, which this guitar suits all those styles perfectly. I can get wailing pinch harmonics, soothing cleans and some good ol' Whole Lotta Love grinding distortion. This guitar gives off no hum, except when I'm sitting next to my computer, which is understandable. This guitar sounds like something Zeus would play.

I've been playing for a little under a year and this guitar is by far the best I have ever played, way better than my Ibanez or my friend's Fender Strat. I love the sound the humbuckers give, I hate the buzz of single coil pickups. If I lost it, well I don't have anywhere near enough money to get another one, so I'd just have to go hunting for the freak who stole it. The only thing I wish it had were strap locks because I like to play my guitar at a pretty steep angle, and I'm not willing to risk the strap comming off.

This Les Paul is a beast, it weighs way more then it looks. The only thing I don't trust about this guitar are the strap buttons, seeing as I play my guitar at a steep angle I don't want to risk dropping it, but once I get strap lockers I would gig without a backup in a heartbeat. The finish seems like it'll last, but the only way to tell will be a few years hard playing.

The guitar was set up perfectly, the action is perfect, not too high, but also no fret buzz. Pickups are a little high up but I'm beggining to like them that way. The finish on the body is natural, which I like a lot more then the glossy finish other guitars have, the glossy finish feels sticky.

My Gibson was manufactured in my southern neighbour, the USA. It has 22 beutiful frets on a rosewood 50's style neck. Not too sure what the body is made of, but it's heavier then I expected. Bridge is a Tune-O-Matic, pickups are stock, with 2 volume and 2 tone and a 3 way pickup selector. Another good feature was that it came with case (for 2500 it damn well better). The only reason it's half a point is that it's beastly heavy.