Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard

I play hard rock and pop through a fairly large pedal board, into a Marshall TSL602. The humbuckers effectively cut out 60 cycle hum, and deliver a warm, sweet tone on clean settings, and a creamy, saturated tone when the gain is turned up. It's perfect for that massive, balls-to-the-wall in yer face rock and roll I'm so very fond of.

I tried a few different guitars in the store the day I bought this (a really nice Gretcsh hollowbody, a few Strats/Teles), but I kept coming back to this guitar. I think some guitars are just made for some people, and this one was made for me. I think I'll be passing this one on when I die; I won't be selling it.

This guitar and I have gigged extensively over the past year or so without a hitch. I changed only two things: the strap pins (locking strap buttons), and the truss rod cover (switched out the plain bell for one that said "Standard", purely for aesthetics). Excellent volume and sweet tone coupled with no problems makes me a very happy guitar player.

Factory set up was crap; Gibson loses points for this. To be fair, differnt people like to have their guitars set up differently, so what stinks for me may be great for others. The maple top is nice, and bookmatched well. The binding on the fretboard makes for comfortable playing. The hardware and electronics are all top notch.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Ice Tea finish (sort of like a Desert Burst, but lighter), with a big, fat 50's style neck on it. Vintage tulip style tuners, 22 frets (bound fretboard), trapezoid fret markers, 3-way toggle, Tune-O-Matic bridge, etc. Came with a silkscreened Gibson USA hardshell case, pickguard (with mounting hardware, it's your choice whether you want it on there or not) and a sweet truss-rod wrench/screwdriver Tool. What value!