Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Willard's Music

This guitar is classic not only for it's unique shape and popularity, but because it fits in every genre of music. I enjoy 80's and 90's hard rock, and a little classic rock from the '70s too. It works perfectly. The best part is though, even if you aren't a fan of hard rock or classic rock like I am, you see this guitar everywhere. Country musicians use it. Jimi Page uses it. Slash uses it. It's an all-around great guitar, and even the most hard-core critic has to smile when they hold one of these guitars. Like I said before, I use a Marshall and Cry Baby with a Metal 5000 distortion pedal, all beyond satisfactory. It can make almost any sound you could ask if you use the right amp and effects. It could damn near talk if you use the right settings. It is also a little louder than a normal electric guitar when played without an amp.

Like I said I mainly play classic and hard rock, which is a perfect fit, as are many other gentres of music. I've been playing for about 4 years now and got this guitar on my second year. I own a Fender Strat and a Gibson SG, and I'd say this is tied to for best. They're tied in sound, but this ones much more delicate. The SG would be the best, but the thing I like about this that the SG doesnt't have is it's ability to play any genre of music and sound good. The SG can do country somewhat, but that doesnt't really help me because I hate counry. But the SG is mostly hard rock and heavy metal, which is fine with me, but it doesnt't sound god with any other genre. The Les Paul is a good choice and you wont be dissapointed as long as you aren't rough with it. The better you treat it, the better it will treat you.

The guitar is pretty god when it comes to durability, and I would easily trust it without a backup when it comes to a gig, but when it comes to handling it, it's an extremely delicate guitar. You can play it as loud as you want and do whatever you want with the amp but it wont have a problem. Just don't be crazy about handling it. It's really delicate.

When it came out of the factory, it looked like a million dollars. But, like I said, it takes a lot of work to keep it in the same condition. It had no flaws, but the dials at the bottom for the volume come off very easily, which is a major complaint of mine, because I have lost my rythm volume dial. I can still adjust the volume, but it looks terribly tacky and unprofessional. you may be able to buy new ones in stores, but I'm not sure about that yet.

The Gibson Les Paul Standard is an all-around great guitar, espicially with the right amp and effects. I plug mine into a regular Marshall studio amp and a Cry Baby wah-wah pedal, and I've had the guitar for about 2 years and never been disappointed with it a day in my life. It's got the Standard 22 frets, with a pretty thick neck, which I know some people like and some dislike, but I have always enjoyed the thicker size over my Fender Strat. It's got a nice Rosewood neck, which is obviously darker than maple, which is another reason why I prefer it over the Strat. it's obviously got the classic unique les paul body, and you can choose the volume for the rythm and treble settings individually (you can have treble turned down low and rythm turned up high, and you can Switch back and forth without volume effecting the other setting). It has two tone dials that also work for each individual setting. I got mine with a new case and strap, so if you take away the included accessories the price would come to about 750. Unfortunately, the store I bought it at no longer sells epiphone/gibson guitars, so that is out of date. the only problem is that it can get cloudy, just as many guitars can, but you have to take extra time, because for some reason the guitar is somewhat high-maintenance when it comes to cleaning and repairing.