Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Reidies

My set up is a Marshall DSL50 half stack, with some Boss, Marshall and Dunlop pedals. Before I start, it receives a 9 as it is simply not possible to recreate some single-coil tones with a huge slab of mahogany, with a thru neck and humbuckers. Without the addition of a coil tap it's not going to happen. The Guitar, due to it's heavy weight does have a tight and apparent level of bass in it's tone when played through a clean channel, so whilst it's not ideal for spiky Indie, alt music, it's very good for strong defined clean chords and arpeggios, especially when mixed with some level of effects, for a lush clean tone, e.g. Stone Roses, The Smiths. With lower levels of gain, you obtain the zeppelin/who tone. A thick responsive distortion great again for chord work and, with a touch more gain solo tone to die for. Using the neck pick up, a very nice Santa like, bass heavy tone can be obtained with ease. Cranking up the gain you can obtain almost any Hard rock artists (Who used humbuckers) tone you wish, be they Gibson users or not. So the Classic tones of Aerosmith, GN'R, the Sex Pistols, Eric Clapton, Garry Moore to the contemporary of Bullets And Octane, Green Day, the Killers, Oasis etc. are obtained with such ease you wonder how you, or countless of other recording artists/live acts/session musicians got by without one. A rich, clear distortion at any level, and it sustains like no other. Also, the pickups, whilst by no means loud, are not silent, but as a user of a noise suppresser pedal, this does not bother me.

1300 pounds is not a small figure of money, and, in fairness this guitar is not set up to a level worth of this figure, it's not the easiest of playing guitars, and it is subject able to damage. But despite all this I would not want any other guitar, as simply there tone and feel would never match this, and if you look at the number and loyalty of Gibson users, I'm not alone. I simply could not imagine me not having a Gibson Les Paul whilst on stage in my band, firing out heavy rock songs. An investment yes, but o-so worth it if not only for the burning sense of pride I get everytime I play it.

This guitar has become my main live and all round guitar, with only my Gibson SG classic being used as a back up live. As it's been quite a hefty investment, I do use locking strap locks, as to avoid any accidents. The finish is subject able to damage, so cleaning and common sense are a must have if you want it to stay in pristine condition. I'm short and skinny for my age (18) but I can use this guitar for hours on end, despite hearing people's complaints about the weight, the addition of a padded leather strap does help no end. Otherwise the guitars electronics are very reliable, and Gibson's do have very long life times, so I'm hoping this will be with me for along time. Provided it does not fall onto the infamous Gibson weak spot on the neck.

The Guitar it's self, made perfectly. AA grade maple top is stunning with the flammed finish, lacqured to protect it, and adding sustain. The set up was less impressive. The Cons were as follows. Pickups at unballenced levels, The action was far too low, fret buzz aplenty, The nut needed a healty dose of graphite. These were easily rectified, and with a new set of DR10-52 strings, a fret polish, a few hours work and a whole load of graphite it's now set up fantastically. The tunning is the most stable of any non-FR guitar I have ever played.

A Gibson les Paul Standard, from 2006 made in Nashville USA. Mine has a heritage cherry sunburst finish and a '60s neck. If you don't know the layout of a Gibson Les Paul, then go to www.Gibson.com or look on one of the reviews above mine. Came with a good quality Gibson hard case.