Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Gibson: Les Paul Standard

The sound is great as usual. This is my 3rd LP. They've all sounded great. I actually prefer the pickups they put in the classic model over the burstbuckers. The 500 and 490 are much hotter. You can play Pantera very nicely with the LP classic. Not so much with the standard.

Overall are these babies worth $2300? Hell no. Gibson needs to do some serious overhaul of their QA department. They're letter sub-par LP's out the door. Les Pauls are the Lexus's of guitars. You expect the best and anything short of that by Gibson is an insult to their own good name. If I hadn't gotten this for free I would not have bought one. My other two Gibsons are over 20 years old and their finishes today are better than my new one. I love Les Pauls. They're an American Icon of rock guitars. With that said I say shame on Gibson. My advice is unless you're a rich dude that pisses hundred dollar bills then don't buy one of these until Gibson increases quality. Buy an Epi LP for $400. Will that be perfect? No, but it will be a much better guitar for $400 than the Gibby LP is for $2300.

Although my finish leaves a lot to be desired the pots, switch, and all wiring are top of the line. Very durable, thick insulated wiring. As always les pauls are built like tanks. That's what I love the most. I can't believe some people love those hollowed out light weight guitars. No resonance or sustain out of those. The really dense mahogany Gibson uses is why they have such killer sustain and sweet tone.

This is where Gibson is failing horribly these days and really pissing on their own good name. The finish is hand done and I think the guy must have been drunk when he was doing it. Epiphone LP's have a smoother finish. For $2200 I expect a damn perfect product and LP's these days are far far from it. My frets had some rough edges that needed filing. That's fine and expected of a $400 guitar but not a $2200 guitar. My finish had some lacquer over-spray and some rough spots. I guess machines do some things better than people. Especially fat, overpaid, lazy, union people. The action was sweet but mine did need a truss rod adjustment. Again, the luthier must have been drunk. I went back to GC and looked at every new LP in stock. They all have these same problems. The quality at Gibson has really fallen off although they maintain their name brand fans as you can see but a bunch of the reviews here that are fellating Gibson just because they're Gibson. I've got two other LP's that were built in the 80's and they were built so much better.

You know the features. Burstbucker pickups, nitocellulose finish, Mahogany, green key tuners, Tune-O-Matic bridge. The same features as always. You should not screw with perfect features. As always Gibson is a hard tail, no tremolo, so if you're really into trem dives like one of those overrated Steve Vai types then you really won't like the LP. My latest one was a gift and it was made in 2007.