Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Used

I've been using different Gibsons over the years (Classic 1960, Premium Plus, '57 Gold Top reissue and now I'm well into my second Standard), but my main guitar has always been US made Strats because of the musicstyle of the bands I've been in. My current bands musicstyle is more "raunchy, depressive rock'n'roll" (yeah, like that gave anyone a clue... ), and the Gibson suits our music extremely well. I've got no need for the Fender anymore (even if it's a very good guitar), so I traded it in for a Epiphone ES335 Dot (but that's another story). That said, I've discovered that the Gibson is just as versitaile as the Fender supposedly is. You can use it for anything. It all depends on how you adjust your amp (and, partly, your guitar). There is a reason for why guys like David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler sometimes turn to Gibson! I use the Gibson (and Epi) with my new Marshall 1987X with the Marshall Vintage cab containing Celestion Greenbacks, and my God what a sound that combination produces!!! The Marshall breaks up very early (because of a cap, known as the "bright cap", they use in the reissues with a value of 4700pf instead of max 470pf like in the old days), so there's no need for any distortion pedal. I have some effects in the loop that I use from time to time, especially a Tremolo. To get clean sound I use a Goodrich volume pedal. The guitar is not noisy (the amp is). The sound from the neck pick up is fat, a tad "bassy" (in a good way) but also very clear. Good for both soloing and rythm. The bridge pick up is very bright (because of the "bright cap" in the amp), but the solution for me was to turn down the tone knob on the guitar to about 5, 5. Perfect! The reason for not giving the sound a 10 is because I'm more after what I call the "Dickey Betts sound", and you don't get that sound with the Burstbuckers. You get very close, but not quite there... I think that the Burstbucker Pro's are some sort of compromise between different Gibson pu's to please as many buyers as possible. I'm thinking about getting the Gibson '57 Classics to get that Dickey tone, both for my Gibson and for my Epiphone ES335. Because of my own sound preference I give it a 9, but for others the Burstbuckers may be "sound Nirvana". It's a matter of taste.

As I said, this guitar suits my bands music extremely well. It's a rock'n'roll guitar that gives your music a little harder edge, good for both soloing and rythmwork. I've been playing for about thirty years (even if it sounds like I've been playing for 3 years...), and my other gear is the earlier mentioned Marshall and Epiphone. If I lost the guitar (yeah, right!) or it got stolen, I would track down the thief, dearrange HIM and take back the guitar. Seriously, if the guitar some way or another would get lost, I would buy a new one right away. What do I love about it? The sound, playability, the weight, the sustain, the craftmanship and the looks! What do I hate about it? Nothing, and that's being honest! Anything I wish it had? Well, a sister and a brother! You can't have to many of them!

This guitar will easily outlive me! I've been going through the hardware, pick ups, volume and tone controls etc., and I can't find anything to put my finger on. The hardware seems to hold up, the paint is still like new... no loose parts even after two years of use. I would have no trouble what'soever depending only on this guitar during Live gigs. It's just, solid! As a rock!

I bought this guitar used on the private market, so I haven't got a clue about how the factory set up was. Usually you will have to get your local guitartech to do the set up for you anyway 'cause how the heck should Gibson know how you like your guitar??? The guy Who had the guitar before me is, like me, a guitar freak, so he had treated it very nicely. He did his own set up and maintenance, and luckily it suited me as well. The rest of the guitar seems to be a result of outstanding craftmanship from the Gibson factory. There is absolutley no flaws!

Beautiful Honey Burst with flame maple top. Looks amazing!!! Mahogny body and mahogny neck with rosewood fingerboard. This is a Standard made in 2006 (USA), Burstbucker Pro pu's, Tune-O-Matic bridge, passive electronics, two volume and two tone, 3 way Switch, black (Canadian made) Gibson hardcase. What more do you need? It's a Gibson!!