Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard

Price paid: C$ 912

Purchased from: used

Suits my eclectic tastes from Rock and Roll, blues to country. Sound is rich and clear. I use Boss Tremolo and Chorus pedals along with a Zoom Player 10 and get great effects with this guitar. A Peavey Bandit 65 is my main amp. I rarely use distortion with this guitar as I find the sound to mangled, to my taste, when more than one string is struck. Prefer to use my Stratocaster if I need distortion.

Play mostly rock, blues and some country and been playing for over 40 years as an hobby. Own an American Standard Stratocaster and a Norman Studio 67. In conclusion I love the sound, the look of the guitar, especially the sunburst finish. Don't like the excessive weight and physical comfort of playing it.

This is obviously a well made solid guitar that should last forever and if were not for the design of the body and its weight I would likely rate it much higher. Winders are solid and stay in tune even when playing hard. Fret high is easily adjusted to eliminate buzzing.

Purchased the guitar from an insurance auction since it listed for well over $2700 new in Canada at the time. It has some water damage from a flood, some of the varnish near two of the nobs show some cracking. Its been over 6 years an the finish has not deteriorated any further. Action is good but not as good as a Stratocaster. It the least ergonomic guitar I have ever owned (I currently own a Stratocaster and have previously owned a Gibson SG and a Fender Telecaster). The guitar is heavy even with a good strap. It is also unsuitable for playing on your lap while sitting down .

Standard 22 rosewood fretboard with flame maple top desert brown sunburst body. Two Burstbucker pickups. Typical Les Paul Standard with no pick guard. 3 position switch. Pearl trapezoid inlay fret markers. Inlay body and neck contour. Well made black Gibson guitar case was inclused.