Les Paul Standard 2008 review by Gibson

• Reviewer's score: 2.8 Junky
Gibson: Les Paul Standard 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I have played many Gibsons over the years, and at last I decided to try out the new Standard Les Paul. I've played it many times in my local music store, and I really liked it, but when I got my own, my feelings for Gibson and their guitars fell like a rock thrown out of a building. The sound was very week, and very muddy. Way too much middle and bass, hardly any treble. I took the guitar to the store and asked them if they could see if it were any errors on my guitar, but they didn't find anything. It was not the sound I was looking for at all. Very dissapointed.

I'm not happy about this guitar! I play some blues and rock, but mostly metal, and with those pickups, the guitar coundn't even handle the riff in Smoke On The Water. I've been playing guitar about 5-6 years now, and I own several Jackson USA and Ibanez Prestige. I love to shred, and even though I know the Gibson's ain't famous for their slim necks, I still had hope. But even after a good, long set up, I could hardly play regular chords. If this guitar was stolen, I would problably not care so much. I would pitty the poor guy who stole it. I bet he'd give it back after some days. I'm not saying every Gibson guitar is this bad, I think Gibson is making some wonderful instruments, but this guitar was crap. I've played Epiphone's who were like heaven compared to this, both in sound and feel. And to all of you thinking this was a Gibson copy made somewhere in the middle-east: It wasn't. It had only two screws on the thuss rod cover, and I even asked the Gibson service of the serial number on my guitar was valid, and it was. I'm sorry Gibson, you didn't deliver.

I had this guitar about 6 months before I send it back to the store saying it was way to much wrong. They were kind enought to give me my money back. Thank you. Over the time period spend with this guitar, I can't say I'm impressed. The strapbuttons didn't manage to hold the guitar, so they snapped off several times. I had to use a screwdriver and put them back on. The finish started to wore of after some weeks, still my other guitars (some with flamed maple tops) didn't suffer at all. The rosewood fretboard seemd to last, but That was about the only part on this guitar who was. The guitar didn't stay in tune, and the pickups were disconnecting very often, due to bad wiring from the factory. I had never taken the chance of giging with this. Which I think is very bad, since Gibson has a reputation of making good instruments with high quality.

Yet again the rummors about Gibson was wrong. The guitar was packed at the factory, and not opened by anyone but me. So I expected it to be well set up by the Gibson staff. But no. The action was way too high. You could hardly hear and notes. The pickups were so low I couldn't see them from the side (I did raise them before testing the sound). When it comes to the finish it isn't much to say. It's just lovely. It's so awesome looking, yet so crappy to play.

This is a Standard Gibson guitar, with the Standard features. Mahogany body and neck, flamed maple top, rosewood fretboard, two Gibson humbuckers, Gibson custom tuners, tune O matic bridge, 22 jumbo frets, and two tone and two volume knobs. This guitar was made in 2009 in the States. I got no accessories or anything, which I had to buy seperatly.