Les Paul Standard 2008 review by Gibson

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Gibson: Les Paul Standard 2008

Price paid: $ 2000

I play this through a 6505 and play all kinds of stuff like Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, Assjack, Social Distortion, Deluhi, and I used to be in a church band. The bridge pickup sounds good for the most of the stuff I play, the neck pick up, not so good. It's really shrill sounding, but that might be because of my amp settings, I tweaked them a little and it started to sound better. Also when I'm on the clean channel its really thin sounding. I don't really care so much about the pickups though because I was planning on replacing them with a Phat Cat in the neck and a Bill Lawrence XL 500 in the bridge. But its an all mahogany guitar, so it has a darker sound which is what I'm going for. So for sound I would rate the bridge pickup as a 6 because its a good pickup just not what I want and the neck as a 2 because its complete shit. So for sound from the factory I would give it a 5, or with a pickup change an 8.

I play a bunch of different kinds of metal, some rock, a little punk, and some church music every now and then. Its a good match for all of them. I've been playing like 7 or 8 years, so I have a pretty good idea of the sound I want. My other gear is my 6505, a Ltd Gus G Random Star, an Ltd F-50, a Washburn Idol and an Epiphone acoustic. Because unlike everybody else that does reviews on here, I would rather have a kicka-s amp and cheap guitars. I got this as a Christmas present from my dad because I wanted a Les Paul since I started playing and hates my "goofy a-s looking guitars". If it was stolen I wouldn't buy one again because there's no way in hell I could afford it. The best thing about this is the way the neck feels because of the teardrop shape, especially now that its getting worn in. When I was in Guitar Center trying them out, I played one just like it, same model same color, everything and it played like complete shit; the neck pickup sounded better though. The only thing I wish it had was new pickups. Once I get those this would probably be a 9, but I'm going to rate it a 7 because the only major flaw is the neck pickup.

I played in a church band for a couple years and it did fine. The hardware will last, the only problem it the locking tuner on the low E won't lock, but that's not the end of the world. I don't know about the strap buttons because I put Schallers on it when I got it. It is dependable and you could gig fine without a backup, but I wouldn't because the one time I didn't have a backup was the one time I broke a string. The finish is good and should last because even though its a nitro finish I think they have stuff in it to keep it from aging. I've been playing it nearly every day since I got it and the only damage is scratches on the back from my belt and a chip where I hit it on something. Since it asks if the finish is good enough to last I'm going to rate it an 8 since the finish is pretty tough, but I would probably rate it a 5 or 6 since I like the look of beat up guitars.

Honestly, I got this guitar 3 years ago, so I don't remember how it was set up when I got it, other than the neck was warped a little bit, but it was hanging on the wall in Guitar Center being played by God knows how many people so what do you expect? Unlike what somebody else said, my volume pots work fine, I guess the tone pots do, I never use them. The Grovers stay in tune good, its been a few weeks since I tuned it last and its still in tune.

This has the usual Les Paul stuff, mahogany body, neck, flamed maple top, Grover tuners, 22 frets, 2 volume and 2 tones, an extra $1000 tacked on because of the name on the head stock. The neck is thick and kind of tear drop shaped so it fits your hand better. The pickups are Burstbuckers and instead of being soldered to the pots they have some kind of circuit board. The only bad thing is its chambered like all Les Pauls since I believe the early 80s, so it could be fuller sounding. And I'll go ahead and say I'm sorry if I upset anybody since I didn't rate it all 10s like your supposed to, but I don't think anything like that exists other than maybe some thing by that one guy that posts on here, Orsby or something (I'm bad with names).

Fenderdog
    There are some really stupid inmature remarks made here. Mostly by people who will never own an Epiphone Les Paul let alone a nice Les Paul Studio or Traditional or Standard. First of all, some guy wrote that Gibson is union! Really? Which union bozo? I post as an older gent of 57. I have been playing since I was 17. I own many nice electrics and, two nice Gibson Les Pauls. I just got the second Les Paul being a 2010 made LP Standard model. It is part of the 2008 series. It is a beautiful Premium Heritage Cherry Sunburst flamed top finish. The burstbucker Pros sound sweet as peach pie! The asymetrical neck is not bad to play! I have a slim taper on my other Les Paul which I just love! The locking tuners I don't have an opinion on yet. I have other locking tuners on another guitar and, they work great, hold a tuning well and, make string changing quicker. This guitar is a work of art and, I got a great deal on it. I agree with not just Gibson being over priced, right now everthing else is. This was the second of these guitars I demoed before I decided to buy this one. The first one I demoed on a Marshall JMP1H through a Marshall cab with 4x12 or 4x10 speakers. The one I purchased I demoed through a DSL15. As soon as I hit the red channel on it, I knew she was a keeper! The action on mine actually came quite low. Like I wrote earlier was made in 2010. I believe they stopped making this model in 2011. I feel it is a great 50th aniversary edition of the legendary Les Paul Standard. I have many amps and guitars. This is one of my finest. I'm glad I'm able to purchase it, thank you Lord! I give it a rating of about a 9 to a 9.5. Only because I like slim taper necks better. The locking neutrik jack is something that I'm getting use to as well. I did not have the problems with the volume and, balance that others have written about on here. I respect their concerns on the matter. It could be on the early ones the controls were goofy. Sometimes a bad batch of pots,etc can get through.