Les Paul Standard Faded review by Gibson

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 9
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.8 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.5 (518 votes)
Gibson: Les Paul Standard Faded
29

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Sound — 10
This guitar deserves a 10+ when we talk about its sound. Its sustain is just unbelievable, its pinch harmonics are sweet, the BurstBuckers Shine on this baby, they produce the most authentic LP tone. It has a nice bite to the tone: fairly smooth and solid lows, and sparkly highs. Obviously, this guitar was made for classic hard rock sounding - and this baby covers it amazingly. It's just a great sounding instrument.

Overall Impression — 10
With the look and feel of an old friend and the sound of a tonal dynamo, this gorgeous instrument sports a smaller, Vintage headstock and slim taper, '60s-style neck. Don't be fooled even though it's faded - it's still a nice looking instrument and it's really a quality guitar! You should at least give it a chance.

Reliability & Durability — 10
Very solid guitar. The finish is thin and seems to be wearing well, it's standing up well to pick scratches and all the hardware still works perfectly. Once again - it's a Gibson. So be sure, this guitar will last for years. You can rely on it without any doubts.

Action, Fit & Finish — 9
The guitar was set up perfectly. The slim '60s neck allows your hands to feel nice and comfortable when moving quickly. The frets are nicely finished. The flame on the maple looks absolutely amazing. It's a Gibson! These guys hardly could palm off a badly adjusted instrument on you.

Features — 10
Gibson craftsmen hand-rub the traditional sunburst finishes on the new Les Paul Standard Faded models. A satin treatment gives the Standard Faded the weathered look of an old favorite without the wear and tear. The Standard is outfitted with the new BurstBucker Pro pickups with Alnico V magnets producing the most authentic, Vintage Les Paul tone of any previous Standard pickups. They produce more bite and a seductive 'airy' tone with both pickups on.

97 comments sorted by best / new / date

    fastmguy
    I don't think strats are overrated...LPs aren't necessarily overrated either. Just overpriced.I mean you could almost get 2 USA strats for the price of 1 gibson.
    cynicalstereo
    It's hard to compare the two. The Fender Strat is a very different guitar than the Gibson LP. It's really just a matter of personal preference, and has nothing to do with one guitar being better than the other.
    makuserusukotto
    tom-the-lawn wrote: makuserusukotto : fastmguy wrote: I don't think strats are overrated...LPs aren't necessarily overrated either. Just overpriced.I mean you could almost get 2 USA strats for the price of 1 gibson. and you also get twice the guitar with the gibson, I disagree the gibson has a kind of better tone but the gibson is also really heavy with a medeoker neck while the strat has a great neck and is really light
    depends on what model you get, some are weight relieved, some are chambered, and there three or four different necks
    rcmaster0072002
    i like cheese, and LP's, and strats. can't we all just get along like one big happy family. (cheese eating family)
    proguitarist11
    AlastorBR wrote: Gibson is going downhill, and they've ALWAYS been hit and miss. Pete Townshend had to play 20+ before finding the good one. All the people on here who say that LPs are the best guitars in the world just because Slash, Page, etc. used one are stupid. It's all a matter of opinion. I HATE les pauls, every one I've played is pure shit. But that's just MY opinion. Any one who thinks that they're perfect guitars just because Gibson made them obviously do not know a lot about guitars. Like I said above, they are hit and miss guitars, honestly.
    well then what kind of guitar do you think is good? everyone who's said that Gibsons are shit hasn't told me what guitar is better. I'm waiting to find out what this God guitar is. And don't even tell me it's a Fender Strat.
    gypsyblues7373
    I have two Les Pauls and three Strats. I like my Les Pauls, don't get me wrong, but if I could only pick one guitar out of the five to keep, you bet your ass it'd be one of my Strats.
    Lord Lustinhell
    5 words: Les Pauls Rule / strats suck! it's a general reality like... like ummmm the sky is blue and 2+2=4 gibsons give the best tones ever u cant compare a stupid little strat to them!
    Lastlarf
    You know guys, one day I would like to see a review for an LP or a Strat which is not followed by a boring argument about which is better. I have played both guitars, and both are great. They are just different. If you can't read a review of a guitar without turning it into a pissing contest you need to do some real growing up.
    AlastorBR
    Gibson is going downhill, and they've ALWAYS been hit and miss. Pete Townshend had to play 20+ before finding the good one. All the people on here who say that LPs are the best guitars in the world just because Slash, Page, etc. used one are stupid. It's all a matter of opinion. I HATE les pauls, every one I've played is pure shit. But that's just MY opinion. Any one who thinks that they're perfect guitars just because Gibson made them obviously do not know a lot about guitars. Like I said above, they are hit and miss guitars, honestly.
    fastmguy
    To proguitarist11: If you want to quote names the strat has way more masters than the LP...Hendrix Gilmore Clapton (yesi know he used to play gibson...but now he sees the light) Malmsteen Eric Johnson ...steve vai used to play a strat (see the green meanie) satrianis favorite 2 guitars in the world and what he started on are teles...SRV...um...i could go on if i thought about it probably but whatever. And I'm still not saying LPs suck I'm just saying most of the masters use/used Strats.
    guitaringsailor
    yet another version of one of the most overrated guitars on the planet
    Maybe it's not overrated it's simply one of the best guitar designs ever made and thats why everyone holds them in high steam and the sound is really great I have one myself and it kicks everything else i ply on on ass
    PyroPlegic
    tom morello uses one of these in that "original fire" video...but his solo is f**ked up...in my opinion.
    makuserusukotto
    fastmguy wrote: I don't think strats are overrated...LPs aren't necessarily overrated either. Just overpriced.I mean you could almost get 2 USA strats for the price of 1 gibson.
    and you also get twice the guitar with the gibson,
    Hoppusorange
    rcmaster0072002 wrote: i like cheese, and LP's, and strats. can't we all just get along like one big happy family. (cheese eating family)
    I agree! +1
    wtf isnt taken
    its hard to look at a Les Paul n say u dont like it cuz god they r good lookers. I've never played a gibson, only my frends 3 epi les pauls n they r all around great guitars for any kind of music buh i think that if u looked, u could probably find a guitar better suited to u. i love to shred n i couldnt imagine doin it on anything other than my Dean Z =]
    blueskid99
    strats and les pauls are for different kinds of people.i personally prefer the strat...
    alrange
    There is no best guitar in the world because both the Strat and LP suit different kinds of music and the guitar that suits your song/style is the best one.
    Stratmike
    It'a a beautiful axe. I play a Strat but who wouldn't want to add a Les Paul to their collection. Totally different guitar with its own sound.
    Deacon Blues
    apples and organes. i guarantee your favorite guitarists use fenders, gibsons, and PRSs. different strokes for different folks.
    ArcherTheVMan
    PyroPlegic wrote: tom morello uses one of these in that "original fire" video...but his solo is f**ked up...in my opinion.
    agreed, it just doesnt have the same presence as his solos usually do.
    ReeseKillsHIV
    I play a Fender, and have played Les Pauls. I prefer the Fender by a longshot, although it might just be my personal preferences. I wouldnt buy this guitar in a million years, for that price.
    Yngwie #1
    Why hasn't any one mentioned Jackson or ESP? those are the fastest guitars on the planet. I prefer USA Jacksons, they have the fastest necks.
    jumpmanhat
    that guitar looks beautiful.. LPs cant be overrated, its been used by so many Great musicians who know their shit!
    guitar_lvr
    you cant over rate a les paul their the best sounding/looking guitar their is, period.
    Rocker1_1
    i think gibsons are the best but my second chiose would be a paul reed smith, thoose arnt half bad but there still no les paul
    mercurymay
    guitars suck gatorade's better
    haha nice. Yeah Les Pauls are gorgeous. I've never actually played on a Gibson Les Paul, just on a friend's Epiphone. I'm having issues with figuring out how to do pinched harmonics. Can anyone teach me?
    pinky_demon
    proguitarist11 wrote: bluesblaster wrote: yet another version of one of the most overrated guitars on the planet hm, lets see. how many guitarist now, and in the past have used this guitar and other versions of this guitar. Shut the **** up unless you're better than Slash, Jimmy Page, Paul McCartney and an ass load of other people. do you even play guitar? and if so, wut kinda guitar do you have?
    Haha i agree with you all the way...
    \m/(--_--)\m/
    sorrykid77 wrote: it looks like a pretty i wanta touch it
    This guy just made fools of you all. Great comment man.
    wtf isnt taken
    i love to shred n couldnt imagine doin it on anything other than my Dean Z =]. my freind as an Epi Les Paul with an Emg81/81 set up n its amazing buh Les Pauls jus seem too universal. Same=Lame
    proguitarist11
    BreakingTheGirl wrote: It works! Yeah, anyways proguitarist is a cock.
    sorry i offended you. just stating an opinion.
    cukd7x-a2-
    This is really similar to the one Slash uses in the Sweet Child 'O Mine video
    funky.monk
    Garrettwichert also wins the award for best spelling on this page too. I've never had the fortune (or money) to play a Gibson LP but after trying other Gibsons I have to say the quality is amazing. However, I would take a Strat any day. Sorry to all of you Gibson aficionados.
    Original Fire
    rcmaster0072002 wrote: i like cheese, and LP's, and strats. can't we all just get along like one big happy family. (cheese eating family)
    PLease Just SHut your Mouth .
    cerveza
    yeah i don't agree with the two being compared... they are 2 completelt different guitars. i do prefer les pauls, however, but for all those who say they don't like les pauls because they are heavy... SUCK IT THE FUCK UP ladies!!!
    AlastorBR
    5 words: Les Pauls Rule / strats suck! it's a general reality like... like ummmm the sky is blue and 2+2=4 gibsons give the best tones ever u cant compare a stupid little strat to them!
    No,you can't compare. The tone between the two is completely ****ing different. Strats and LPs aren't better than each other because you say so. e_e
    Agent_00Funk
    Lastlarf wrote: You know guys, one day I would like to see a review for an LP or a Strat which is not followed by a boring argument about which is better. I have played both guitars, and both are great. They are just different. If you can't read a review of a guitar without turning it into a pissing contest you need to do some real growing up.
    Quote the win. Les Pauls are great guitars, and so are Strats and etc. Its just all in preference in what you prefer.
    Cazz3000
    I really can't compare a strat and a gibbo. 2 completely different guitars that suit different peoples playing styles and of course, personal preferences. I own this new LP and loved it from the moment i played it. I also own a mexican strat that i have had for years, also loved it as soon as i played it. I wont compare these 2 guitars, to be perfectly honest why do people compare these 2? Why not compare it with something completely different like Ibanez? Not saying you should, just a suggestion.
    garrettwichert
    I think instead of pulling the names of individuals out of our collective asses and throwing them at each other, we should agree that a Strat/tele, with their thinner, brighter sound, and a Les Paul with the fuller more rich tones sound amazing when played in harmony with each other. Thank you for the chance to post the single longest run-on sentence on this page...
    RocknEf'inRoll
    What I dont understand is the dude who first said Les Pauls are overrated, his name is BluesBlaster...hmmm, isn't the Les Paul the kind of blues tone and sustain? I'm not against other guitars, but in my opinion, Les Pauls define what blues guitar is all about. Their sound gives off the soul to blues and allows you to "talk" to your audience with it's pure sexy tone. Just my opinion as a blues/classic rock guitarist.
    Eamon Fethers
    i luv LP's but the 2 comments before me r 100% correct... gretsch r the greatest guitars on this planet!!!
    k1ng_pooh
    omfg, i hate LP's there so generic. its almost a rule that everyband needs a Gibson. When Slash an who ever else used it, it wasnt so over rated and it was cool but know i can't even look at it. makes me sick
    fastmguy
    you know i think people that play LPs are just lying to themselves to make themselves believe that theyre the greatest guitars ever....you know....caue they payed the highest price ever...whatever