Les Paul Standard Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard Faded

Purchased from: g.c.

Sounds wonderful. I really do love the way it sounds. This one has a chunky, yet still chimey sound too it, it rings and resonates really nicely. Unplugged, it's loud, louder than most guitar, plugged in, it is still loud. Although the pickups are 'Vintage-ish' specs, they are still hot enough to cut through effects. I've owned a lot of guitars and this one definitely sounds the best out of all of them. I could go on for days about it. I do wish I could put both pickups in parallel via some sort of push/pull pot, but that is something for a later date. The pickups do have a little bit of buzz on them, but meh, it's not enough to whine about. The grover tuners give it a bit more sustain, and the way I have it set-up makes it a little snappier and brighter, which contrasts nicely with the woods dark-nasally sound.

I'm happy with this guitar. Perfectly happy. I feel like I don't need another guitar, although I may want a bunch, this is 'the one' for me. I replaced everything that I wanted to on it. The pickup rings were cream colored, but I switched them to black. I also took off the pickup selector ring all together and replaced the pickup switch tip with a black one. The knobs were also replaced with dark amber colored ones instead of the gold. The tuners, which I mentioned earlier, several times.

It's very dependable. I've never broken a string or have anything freak out on it. It's fairly straight forward with few moving parts, so I think that helps. Like I said earlier about the finish though, it scratches easily. I couldn't really see anything going horribly wrong with it, ever, maybe the pots might get scratchy eventually, but I think that would be about it, and that happens with all guitars.

I have a setup that is a bit different than out of the box. I wrap the strings around the stop-bar the way Jimmy Page and Zack Wylde do, it corrects the tension I think, it also gets rid of that nasty nasal sound that happens when the strings come into contact with the bridge on their way back to the stop-bar, check it out, you'll see what I mean. I also have the stop-bar going as low as possible without touching the body. Again, if it touches the body, it gets nasally, too much nasally is bad. The finish is really thin and tacks dings and dents very easily, that is, if you press your nail on the finish, it leaves a mark, easily scratched. But, whatever, it's part of the sacrifice for a thinner finish that breaths and moves better than most. When this guitar gets older, it's going to sound better than most Vintage ones, I think.

2005 Les Paul Std., with the faded finish. It has all the usual appointments that a Les Paul typically has... really pretty flmaed maple capped mahoganny body, cream binding, zebra striped burstbucker pro pickups, rosewood fretboard, trap. inlays, everything on mine is stock except for the tuners which I had replaced with grovers! And the pickup rings and knobs etc., I'll come back to that. Pretty much, the things I didn't like about it, cosmetically and the tuners, I replaced.