Les Paul Standard Limited Edition review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Standard Limited Edition

Purchased from: guitar center

Personally, I play many different genres of music. Sometimes, jazz, other times I may bust out some hardcore/metal, and I even entered the local guitarmageddon at guitar center this year with this (king of the blues) so overall, this guitar is very very versaitle. I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp, usually sticking with the distortion/clean channel I have on it, but occasionally I play through an old Boss DS-1 I've had for three years but it still is holding up. also occasionally I play on a Vox V847 wah, and I also have a boss GT 5 multieffects I purchased from my guitar teacher. The humbuckers are quiet as a church mouse, no buzzing when I play in my living room (the plugs in my room aren't right, so the amp buzzes naturally). The sound is soo rich and full, with the combonation of the ebony neck and mahogany body. of course this has that thick Gibson Les Paul crunch. The variety of this guitar is out of this world! I can play anything, all I really need to do is slightly adjust the tone/volume knobs and Switch pickups and can go from the most subtle jazz tones to a gnarly, ripping metal sound.

I play pretty much all types of music, and this guitar is so versatile it is a perfect match to everything. I have been playing for around four years, and aside from this guitar I have an Epiphone Dot, and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. Before buying this, I would have asked about these wierd yellow spots there are on the pearloid trapezoids around the 19-21s frets (both markers). If anybody stole this guitar, sweet Jesus they better be wearing a cup when I find them. I would probably not be able to get this exact guitar, because it is a limited edition model, but I would hope to find another Gibson standard, with an ebony fretboard. It is my absolute favorite feature on this guitar. This guitar went up against a Standard Les Paul but the ebony fretboard, and it being a limited model, made this one the victor.

This guitar is quite reliable, I have used it for smaller gigs a few times. The nickle finished hardware is nice and shiny, however due to some moisture the pickups had become slightly tarnished. The strap buttons were junk, I had to get the schallers on as soon as I could. I have used this before on gigs without any backups, mainly because I didn't need a backup (church function), however, I would definately trust this to fulfill my playing needs. The finish is pretty good, only thing is that there are some scratches on the back due to a belt buckle (playing a liturgy during school, while wearing a belt).

Well, the action wasn't anything to brag about, but probably because I got this guitar in the late winter of 2005 and the spring coming, the neck got a little bent out of shape. So I took it to the local music store to get it set up properly, and lo and behold, he tells me the neck has a slight bump around the first fret, so he can't make the action that low (I like super low action). However, the pickups and rest of everything was rather nice, and everything else was fine and fit. Aside from the fretboard problem, I have no other qualms about this guitar. I decided to give it another 6 months, and am taking it in to the store again to have it checked out before I decide to send it back to Gibson or not.

This guitar, from what I can tell from the serial number, was stamped from the factory around mid to late 2004, made in the USA. It is a Les Paul Standard in a limited edition finish, with the usual Les Paul features: 22 fret neck, only the limited has an ebony fret board, with a bound headstock. The neck on mine is a '60s slim taper with a 24 3/4" inch scale, but Gibson also offers the model in a '50s rounded version. The top is a figured slab of beautiful flamed maple. Neck I believe is mahogany along with the body. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic, as on most LP standards. There is a lacquer finish, the color is "black cherry translucent with cream binding." There are passive electronics, a pair of burstbucker pros, wired with the two volume, two tone knobs, and a treble/rhythm selector Switch (3-way). Tuners are Klusons with the metal button knobs. The strap buttons were not very good in my opinion, so I swapped them out for schaller strap locks, which are pretty stellar in my opinion.