Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: daves guitar

I play a lot of Zeppelin and heavy rock and this guitar is perfect for it and any other style of music. This guitar can sound totaly diferent it can have a bright rich sound or a dark deep sound.

This guitar is the perfect one for me some people may not like how heavy and thick it is but you cant beat the action and sustain. I originaly bought a Fender Strat but this guitar blows it away I can't think of any better brand.

This guitar is a Les Paul thats about anough said I imagine the standard or classic are a little better quality they must be for the money they want but I realy can't see how you could make it better.

This guitar was set up pretty good the action is great even though it came with thick strings the pick up selector is a little loose but how many people played it before me? The finish is pretty good.

This guitar is a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio, bought new from daves guitar. It has a mahogany body with maple sides, it has two humbuckers a 490 and a 498 I believe.

ArcherTheVMan
    gypsyblues7373
    Hate to tell you guys arguing Studio vs. Standard, but they're essentially the same guitar. On your average Studio and Standard, everything is the same, except for the binding, and certain Studios don't have maple tops (like the Faded Pro), but many of them do. Binding is very expensive because it all has to be done by hand, by people, and that equals the extra $$$ that you have to pay for the Standard. Also, for the guys complaining about the bulky necks, different LPs do have different necks. If you don't like the rounded '59 style, find one with a '60's slim-taper, or asymmetrical neck. Lastly, for the doofus who says you can't shred on it...if you can shred, you can shred on anything. Ever heard Al Di Meola on acoustic?
    EewokMan33
    well argueably slash, zakk wylde and randy were not shredders at all, but i see your point. matt heafy uses a lp and he can pull off some good sweeps and stuff so it shouldnt be a problem
    milwaukeerocker
    Anyone reading the comments section should ignore any of the morons that are saying things like GIBSON=OVERRATED. Those people have no idea what a good guitar or good tone is supposed to sound like. Those people are in league with the others who have said things like "it sounded bad through a 15 watt Line 6 amp," or "it didn't even sound good through a modeling amp." Yeah, those people truly have no idea what they're talking about so ignore such comments everyone. High end epiphones are better? No NO NO NO NO NO, this is not even remotely true, anyone that really believes this is only fooling themselves.
    burnsz82
    I have a '92 version of the Gibson Les Paul Studio and it is fantastic
    evileenz
    I have played these guitars and I can think of a lot of better feeling guitars as les pauls tend to be neck heavy but they are hard to beat sound wise and you will be hard pushed to find a better rythem guitar
    Spine V.
    Mahoru wrote: This one looks nice. But I need to know if it's a right guitar for playing some kind of progressive death metal stuff, like Opeth, or more melodic, like In Flames or At The Gates. Please answer, 'cause if it's good for this, I'll buy one.
    Bjorn from IN FLAMES uses LP soo...
    !BEN!
    I find it worrying people are actually complaining about the neck getting "sticky" WASH YOUR DAM HANDS Seriously, ive had my LP studio for 2 years and my neck doesnt get sticky, you should always wash your mucky hands before touching a guitar
    Skuzzmo
    shoule79 wrote: Also, for the ESP and Ibanez fanboys, you know why you never see older ones? They start to fall apart due to softer woods. Look out for loose bridges and hardware.
    I've got an Ibanez that I've owned for nearly 24 years. It still has ALL it's original hardware and I've NEVER had a problem with loose bridges. This guitar, with the exception of 2 years, has been gigged regularly. It's plays well, sounds great and is still going strong.... Also I have no reason to believe that the other Ibbys that I own won't serve me just as well. Therefore it is with great regret that I have to say that your comment is wrong. Sorry
    j-e-f-f-e-r-s
    Jeez, what's with all the wannabe tone-hounds out there saying 'Oh, it's good for blues but rubbish for metal, good for jazz but crap for indie, etc etc.' I've got news for you. Les Paul (the guy who created it) uses an LP to play some awesome jazz music. Zakk Wylde uses an LP to play metal, as does Adrian Smith on occasion. Page, Moore, even Clapton use or have used an LP to play blues. Slash uses one to play hard rock. The chap from Sigur Ros uses one to make spaced-out indie music. What I'm trying to say is, a Les Paul guitar is what you make it. Tone ultimately comes from your fingers, not the plank of wood you're playing. If you like the sound an LP makes, then for chrissakes get one and don't let some snotty little teenager on the internet persuade you otherwise.
    seemeel
    Lots of people using these guitars with Marshall MG series or Line 6 Spiders... that accounts for the silly 9.8/10 scores! I only read one honest review in this whole page.
    Iamonfire
    sexmeister wrote: I DUNNO THE GUY IS PROBABLY RIGHT BUT GIBSON IS NOT THAT BAD BUT I WOULD PREFER AND IBANEZ INSTEAD WELL THATS JUST ME
    CAPS LOCK IS NOT CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME. Also, great guitar, currently saving up for one at the moment. Alpine white pour moi.
    briang1110
    AngryGuitarist wrote: Thres no way theres 23 frets, thats not standard. 22 - 24 frets pl0x. dude 900 bucks for a gibson LP is a fricken' steal
    I got mine for like 921, its an amazing guitar, dont know what that shredder review was talking about the electronics, sounds like he screwed it up himself
    The_bushidoka
    I thought that first reviewer was more obsessed with bragging about his new toy and ten years of experience than with actually talking about the guitar. That could just be me, though.
    DownbëloW
    I bought this guitar just last week (as of right now) and I absolutely love it. Mine looks way diff from the picture but it's same guitar. I love everything about it, besides the lack of Tremolo and it only has 20 frets If you're like me, and love Afi and their sound, this guitar is perfect for that. Plays anything from Deep purple to Dragonforce. Rock on Gibson!
    GuitarManiac09
    Personally, I dont think the 3rd guy down didnt buy the guitar at all and is just an ibanez fanboy making people mad. And heres why: What person in their right mind has an ibanez, is into shred (vai, satriani) and buys a gibson les paul? Well, if he did really buy it, i laugh at him for his lack of research. HAHAHA.
    jcs5234
    he doesn't say he's been playing this guitar for ten years, he says he been playing the guitar for ten years
    FloyDZeD
    I got a '96 LP Studio for $900. You can play any type of music with these things.
    guitar135
    i played this at guitar center, and it was horrible. the neck doesnt have that binding that other les pauls have. i didnt mind the weight, but the guitar just overall sucked. i ended up with an epiphone les paul- it sounded better, looked better, and felt better. this is like the worst gibson makes,dont buy it save up for a real les paul
    Spaztikko
    get a Kramer. anything from the 80s or even the Vanguard today. j*zz in my pants. dont waste your time with gibson
    bunyard
    thts what i did and my sg is AMASING !!! and i got it signed by GARY MOORE :O
    TomGale
    The higher end Epiphone Les Paul Custom... ESPECIALLY the Les Paul Custom PLUS Zakk Wylde, with EMG 81&85s with Ebony fretboard.. WAY outdoes the lower Gibsons. DO NOT BUY THIS GIBSON! BUY A HIGH RANGE EPIPHONE INSTEAD!
    shanethestoner
    NOSPI wrote: Purchased from: meth junky former friend you do realise you just funded his habit?
    right, am i the only other one that saw that? but damn what a steal lol
    DurpaDurpa
    ArcherTheVMan wrote: the guy who wrote the review thats the third one down is an idiot. if he cant shred on it he must be doing it wrong because if you cant shred on it what do zakk wylde, slash, randy rhoads and all the others do? and if didnt realise before he bought it that gibsons n fenders have 22 frets on then that makes him more of a fool.
    To be fair it's a pretty effing stupid thing to assume everyone can play something a certain way on an instrument because some pro can do it. Maybe his head doesn't fit it perfectly?
    DurpaDurpa
    The whole strat vs lp is getting pretty lame. It's the player that makes the guitar what it is. Look at the amazing things David Gilmour does on his strat and Zakk does on his lp (though i'm not a massive fan). Both can create some real mind numbing sounds but with the right shiz set to the opposite guitar you can expect the same thing to come from each artist.
    rv_phoenix
    This LP Studio still looks weird. I don't think Les Paul would have approved such a commercial approach to his classic design. But the sound may be gorgeous, like in almost any LP... As for the Strat vs LP discussion, it is clear the two guitars represent different concepts. The Strat is brighter, lighter, more versatile. The LP has more density, sustain, and a beefier tone. As a principle, thez are suitable for different kinds of music, but, as DurpaDurpa is saying, the player makes the real difference. And, dare I say, the electronics, who can make the sound of the two very similar, if you insist... Think at Seymour Duncan's Pickup Boost, who can make a humbucker sound like a single-coil and a single-coil sound like a humbucker. Not to mention the pro equipment. Otherwise, the competition doesn't exist. After 30 years of playing, all I can say for sure is these two guitars are complementary.
    mikepataki
    Not really a fan of the worn brown or cherry models of this guitar...looks cheap! G.C. has them for $799 I played one the other day it it was crap...maybe it was just that "partic" guitar, but I was not impressed at all...played it through a line 6 15 watt amp; Really it didn't sound any better then my epiphone les paul ultra...the epiphone beats it in looks and play-ablity!!! both guitars are chambered too! the ultra also has a satin finish neck, grover tuners and a beautiful cherry sunburst finish! oh, and it retails for $599!!! mine came with an epi hardshell case too! with the gibson studio you get a free gig bag...LMFAO take a pass on it...
    crave01
    SOADbeast
    doeeyedandrew wrote: all i wanna know is...WHO'S THE FUCKER WHO ONLY GOT IT FOR A DOLLAR?! what a lucky guy!
    haha i saw that too, i think he was just f***ing around lol
    shoule79
    Quick disclaimer, I own a Standard, not a Studio. These are basically the best deal out there for a good humbucker equipped guitar (usually around a grand, less used). The basic difference between these and Standards is binding and the possibility of a laminate body (some are, some aren't). For usually less than half price, thats the only difference. A laminate body may not have the same sustain as a standard, but they are not that far off. I've played a lot of Studios that can easily stand toe to toe with the more expensive Pauls. If you can't do metal on a Paul, you are doing it wrong. Period. Also, for the ESP and Ibanez fanboys, you know why you never see older ones? They start to fall apart due to softer woods. Look out for loose bridges and hardware. Frankly, i've never played a shred machine that I thought sounded rich and full (although they generally play awesome). Comparing even the expensive ones to a Gibson is a joke. If you can afford top of the line and want a looker, buy a Standard, or save up some more for a Custom or a PRS, but for the price vs. quality, the Studio seriously can't be beat (maybe by a good SG). If I hadn't got a good deal and had my Standard for 10 years i'd probably have just bought a Studio and saved some money.
    gypsyblues7373
    "Softer woods"? LOL Where do you get this info from? That's a retarded statement. I have an Ibanez RG that's 23 years old, and an S series that's 22 years old, and they're holding up just fine. I've never had a single problem out of either of them, and I can confirm that the mahogany on my S isn't any "softer" than the mahogany on my LP Studio or LP Standard LOL
    celticstorm84
    LOL...Wut??? I see older ESP guitars with some frequency...not sure what you're trying to get at. They make a great, long lasting instrument. They aren't cheap though. I'd sooner be able to justify a Gibson Firebird which I really want.
    Cocolate
    Dnalrafcmb3 wrote: Kabalist wrote: The Gibson LP Studio is a great guitar but it's not for everybody. If you are just starting out on the electric guitar the expense of this instrument may not make it the best choice for you. I've been playing the guitar since 1973 and it wasn't until after I had played the electric for about 5 to 10 years that I started to appreciate the tonal qualities of the guitars I was playing and was able to make an informed choice about what I really wanted or needed. Back in the 70's there were some really crappy beginner guitars out there. I owned them and wondered why they wouldn't stay in tune! Now days even the the cheapest beginner instruments are light years better in quality compared to what I was trying to play in those days. Now you can spend about $200 and get an instrument, that when set up properly, will sound better than anything I could fantasize about when I was getting started. My first really good quality instrument was a 70's Fender Stratocaster that I bought in 1982 while I was in the Marines and was just starting to get really good with the Blues, enough so that my friends were starting to spend hours listening to me because they enjoyed it and not out of sympathy. I believed the sun rose and set on Jimi Hendrix and I wanted nothing so badly as to sound like him. But still it took a lot of time and experimentation (years) to realize the different pickup settings and effects and amplifier brands that would help me get somewhere near to approximating his great sound. After over 30 years on the electric guitar I feel that paying $1200 for my Gibson Studio LP is worth it in order to get that just so tone that I knew I could only get from this particular guitar. And I chose it out of 7 or 8 Studios that weren't nearly as good. But back in the 70's when I was a kid I didn't have the ear to even begin to appreciate what I wanted out of a guitar. My point is, if you can't tell the difference between the sound of a $200 Ibanez and a $1200 Studio LP, buy the Ibanez and get really good on it. Then as you get better and better you will start to develop your ear and realize what kind of quality instrument you can't live without.Kabalist wrote: The Gibson LP Studio is a great guitar but it's not for everybody. If you are just starting out on the electric guitar the expense of this instrument may not make it the best choice for you. I've been playing the guitar since 1973 and it wasn't until after I had played the electric for about 5 to 10 years that I started to appreciate the tonal qualities of the guitars I was playing and was able to make an informed choice about what I really wanted or needed. Back in the 70's there were some really crappy beginner guitars out there. I owned them and wondered why they wouldn't stay in tune! Now days even the the cheapest beginner instruments are light years better in quality compared to what I was trying to play in those days. Now you can spend about $200 and get an instrument, that when set up properly, will sound better than anything I could fantasize about when I was getting started. My first really good quality instrument was a 70's Fender Stratocaster that I bought in 1982 while I was in the Marines and was just starting to get really good with the Blues, enough so that my friends were starting to spend hours listening to me because they enjoyed it and not out of sympathy. I believed the sun rose and set on Jimi Hendrix and I wanted nothing so badly as to sound like him. But still it took a lot of time and experimentation (years) to realize the different pickup settings and effects and amplifier brands that would help me get somewhere near to approximating his great sound. After over 30 years on the electric guitar I feel that paying $1200 for my Gibson Studio LP is worth it in order to get that just so tone that I knew I could only get from this particular guitar. And I chose it out of 7 or 8 Studios that weren't nearly as good. But back in the 70's when I was a kid I didn't have the ear to even begin to appreciate what I wanted out of a guitar. My point is, if you can't tell the difference between the sound of a $200 Ibanez and a $1200 Studio LP, buy the Ibanez and get really good on it. Then as you get better and better you will start to develop your ear and realize what kind of quality instrument you can't live without.[quote]Kabalist wrote: The Gibson LP Studio is a great guitar but it's not for everybody. If you are just starting out on the electric guitar the expense of this instrument may not make it the best choice for you. I've been playing the guitar since 1973 and it wasn't until after I had played the electric for about 5 to 10 years that I started to appreciate the tonal qualities of the guitars I was playing and was able to make an informed choice about what I really wanted or needed. Back in the 70's there were some really crappy beginner guitars out there. I owned them and wondered why they wouldn't stay in tune! Now days even the the cheapest beginner instruments are light years better in qua
    this
    Basti95
    Gatecrasher53 wrote: The sixth reviewer says he bought his guitar for $1. lol I think not
    Was going to post the same thing! xD I demand an explanation!!
    nailsarecruel
    crave01 wrote: I got mine in 1989. Today, it plays just as good as it did back then. Its never had a short, the knobs, tuners and pick ups are all original. The white finish is now yellowish, but in my opinion thats just cool, gives it chracter. No Asian imitation has or ever will compare to a GIBSON USA LesPaul . Any body who thinks diffrent, has no sense of pride, and may aswell be playing toys, because toys are made in Taiwan. The guitar is an instrument and the best electric guitars are made in the USA.
    Wow.
    beno21
    Well I have one of these - 08 model - and i also have an 07 Custom. I have to say its quite a nice guitar, plays well, sounds fairly good, but the stock pickups seemed a little dull for my liking. I cant really compare to my custom as that is loaded with EMGs. The back scratches easily on these too. Not a bad guitar for the price, but; try before you buy.
    Most_Triumphant
    Ibanezbass4life wrote: KCW1229 wrote: are gibson really that overrated?? I think the same thing, Gibsons are EXTREMELY overrated! they're too expensive for what they're REALLY worth! might as well pay half the price for a nice epiphone and then get some new pickups for it...
    Let me guess, you've been playing for 5 years and now you know everything about tone?
    Vitooch
    what makes this les paul so much better then all other les pauls?
    ghiyath
    Gibson Les Paul Studio is absolutely overrated. When you get this guitar you pay for the Gibson name. It's a budget Les Paul and plays like one. You could without a doubt find another brand of guitar that sounds just as good without paying out the ass for it. If you truly want a Les Paul, save the money and get a real Les Paul Standard.
    Ace-014
    slashrock94 wrote: Ibanez187 wrote: XChainsawGorgeX wrote: Gibsons are Slightly overrated, atleast they are sometimes overpriced in my opinion. VERY nice but, Buying a Gibosn is buying a Name brand, don't get me wrong, I LOVE them, BUT, i found ESPs to be around the same rating with the NEW Gibsons. the '59 "Burst" PWNS ALL! though ^_^ I agree completely gibsons are great guitars but i just bought an ec-1000 deluxe in green and it plays just as well as a gibson, i think that the neck on mine be better. Yes, but an EC-1000 Deluxe costs what, about twice as much as an LP studio?
    I could be wrong, but last time I checked on Musicians Friend, the EC-1000 Deluxe was about the same price, maybe a little more