Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

• Reviewer's score: 4.4 Poor
Gibson: Les Paul Studio

It works extremely nice for acoustic style songs, especially with reverb. When you Switch on distortion, it's again, perfect. Overdrive doesn't seem to be very strong with the studio's pickups, but more so the Standard or Classics. The way the apply the neck onto the body is horrible. If you play the high E string and then mute it (with distortion on), alllll the other strings ring out. This guitar has the most noise out of any. Pinch harmonics don't exactly work extremely well, pop on a wall all the way forward, and it squeels fine.

I play mainly shred and neoclassical. For this guitar, it's limited to acoustics, metal riffs, Iron Maiden or Judas Priest style soloing, chords. If someone called the police reporting someone stole this guitar, would I buy it again? No, I'd call the police and explain how I'd left it out in front of my house with a couch, both with a sign taped to it "free." I also own an Ibanez RGT2020, Carvin (some '80s model), and a custom Hamer. All of witch kick this guitars ass. For $100 more, you can get the Ibanez RGT2020. It's versatile in all aspects. Gets all sounds. Fast neck. Everything.

The electronics, tuners, and of course hunks of metal for the bridge and tailpiece, will all stand the test of time. I'm not so sure about the woods and finish. I've already played it live, it's fine. I would not use this at a gig without a backup, that's suicide.

Action was tilted ot the side, and was so high up I could fit my fingers underneath it. The pickups after I took them out when they weren't functioning properly, I found to be installed backwards. The neck at the bridge and the bridge at the neck. The finish already had a blemish in it that made it very bland, not shiny. I was told by the dumb asses at Guitar Center that it was fine. When it wore away to the maple top and mahogany bottom a week later, they said it was unreplacable and my fault. The Switch was also not properly installed. All the electronics wire's were twisted together. Who the hell only twists them together?

Probably not a surprise, it's impossible to shred on an LP. I have an RGT2020 for that, but this guitar still overall isn't very playable. It only has 22 frets, and connects to the body at fret 17. The body, is 2.75" thick, if you even try to get up to putting your hands from 18 up, it's impossible. There is no playability on the upper frets. Tune-O-Matic bridge, which if you don't use tremelo and you buy this, later you will want to use tremelo and the crappy tail piece-non-through-body style ones suck anyway. The neck, is extremely fat. This is the slowest neck I've ever played. Plus, the back of it is painted which becomes sticky ever 4 minutes and you have to constantly clean it then wash your hands. The tuners work pretty well and seem to only go out of tune when it's 80 degrees in the summer and up, or when you smash the strings. The finish will wear away in a second, it is not at all durable. If you have a belt on, underneath 2 shirts and a sweatshirt, it will still scratch. Controls are fine, except it's only a 3 way Switch, not very versatile. The body weighs nearly 9.5 pounds, and isn't very comfortable. Your arm can not be easily placced for a firm resting position on your picking hand. It is a 2004 model.