Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

I play mostly Hendrix, Led Zepplin and you know the rest. And, it suits every style, with a little modification that I would ever wish to play. I use a Dunlop Wah pedal, a Zoom 606 and a couple of Boss effects boxes. I get very little background hum, and if so this is easily quenched with a little tweaking and cleaning of the pickups. Although it is possible to get bright tones, we must remember that this is a Les Paul, and as such will never acheive Strat like twangyness, however it will scream out and solo which you may so desire. Don't get me started on the rhythm tones. Need I say more than Stairway To Heaven. Try it people! With effects hence, this guitar can perform on just about and level.

Well it's amazingly fantastically superbly excellent, does everything that I ask it and more. Can stand the most inhumane treatment and still shines on every toilet of a gig that I keep foolishly signing up for. Hats off to Gibson. I suppose their 'legend' isn't so fake after all.

This guitar has withstood live playing on numerous occasions, has survived a fire, Gale forced winds and a minor car incident (poor thing when you think about it). The hardware has lasted, and I only replaced the pickups, because I saw a cheap pair of dirty fingers and I was in the shop with my guitar at the time. I put a pair of straplocks on the guitar, but this was not because I was not satisfied with the stock ones. It was just safety. You understand. All those drunken naked fanatics tugging at it (whilst on stage). As I am a sensible(ish) guy I always use a backup guitar but if push came to shove I suppose I could rely on 'Les'. The finish is beautiful, and I intend to keep it so, but given my track record on guitar finishes, I suggest a big question mark. I'll update this if there are any changes.

Although it did require a small setup outside thebox (bridge and pickup height), I was generally impressed by the initial factory setup of the guitar as a whole. The pickups, as aforementioned did require some adjustment, but when they were sorted (may I add, by a technician, don't try to mod these yourself without both buckets of confidence or a phd in something). They were great. Actually there are no floors in this catergory that spring to mind. I wlii update if I find any.

Made in 2003 in the USA, this guitar features 24 medium frets, a gorgeous maple laminated top and an ebony fretboard. Mine has a transparent wine red finish with a standard Tune-O-Matic bridge. 2 volume and 2 tone, and a 3-way selector Switch (rythem and treble). I have modified mine to have 2 dirty finger pickups, although the stock pickups were not bad at all. Grover tuners and all gold hardware, and all with its very own hard case!