Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

It fits my music style, even though I don't really have one, but if I had to say it would just be plain rock. Or "metamorphic rock" as I tend to play stuff that sounds different, usually concaucted by myself. Suits the style quite well, nice and chunky. I play through a very old Burman Valve Head connected to a home made cabinet, fitted with one '60s Fender Speaker; the Burman is very good for that AC/DC, crunchy sound and when played with the Les Paul it sounds fantastic. However on the bridge pickup, it all becomes fuzzy and quite rubbish, but I've found that's not the guitar's problem after playing through an also very old Selmer amp, and on the bridge pickup this thing is just like having Slash play in your room. I like it when played with some gain, but the treble pickup on clean doesn't really sound too brilliant, maybe the pickups are too low, or too high. Who knows? Maybe a guitar tech.

As previously mentioned, I play straight up rawk and this guitar suits it, as any guitar would really (except metal guitars and strats, because they're just crap anyway). I've been playing for a couple of years now but I'm apparently doing quite good, even though I think I'm rather rubbish. I also own a Vintage Telecaster, Vintage SG and Vintage Les Paul. To be honest I don't really see that much difference except it has Gibson on the headstock and it feels a bit more loved. If it were stolen or lost I'd be rather screwed, but it's not like I lost 900 because I paid nothing anyway; and I couldn't afford another one. One thing I don't like about it, and this is Les Pauls in general, is the location of the pickup selector Switch, if you're really "rocking out" it's very easy to knock it into rhythm and get a different sound altogether.

The guitar was really quite good when I got it, the action was high but after a few months I found myself used to it and prefer it over low action. The strings became sticky and dull quite quickly and even after changing them they become dull very easily; could just be this abnormally hot UK weather and my sweaty hands though. The finish is really nice, wine red with a sort of tiger stripe finish, it's a shame that I sweat so much when playing because the finish gets some of the attention taken away because of all the solidified sweat.