Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

I play classic rock, blues, and psychadelic stuff, and it works great for that. I am running it through (in this order) a morley little alligator volume pedal, MXR phase 90, Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus, crybaby wah, and an Ibanez tube screamer. When I put on the overdrive there is a bit of hum, possibly a little more than usual, but definitely not annoying. The guitar sounds wonderful clean, and the sustain and harmonics are perfect. The most versitile guitar one can own.

This guitar is great for rock of any kind, country, blues, jazz, and believe it or not, classical. I am 14 and I have been playing guitar for a little over 9 years. I own my original electric that I got 5 years after I started playing and that is a Squier Strat, laugh all you want, but this Squier was made before Squier got really cheap, and I have been happy with its playability. I own a Samick acoustic, and a Vintage Yairi Alvarez 12 string as well. Both of those play wonderfully too. If it was stolen or lost I would probably buy a step up from a studio, maybe something a little more jazzed up. I would never sell this guitar to buy a new one. I love everything about my les paul, and especially its look and tone. I compared it with Fender teles before buying, and the nicest Tele guitar center had to offer wasn't as nice as this guitar. It was an easy decision.

This guitar will definitely withstand live playing, as I said before with the minor catastrpohe I put it through. The hardware will last with normal playing and use. The strap buttons are solid, but a bit small (the reason the guitar fell in the first plac). They have since been replaced though by straplocks. I can depend on it, and I do play gigs with it without a backup. The finish is also impecable and will last for years with proper care.

The guitar was set up perfectly at the factory, and the action was fast. The pickups were adjusted to the best height, all of the binding was perfect and there were no visible finish flaws. The bridge was routed well too. I dropped my guitar about 4 feet onto a tile floor on accident, and the bridge snapped in half? But that was definitely operator error and not the guitars fault. The G tuning key was also slightly bent, an easy repair if I had the time/money. The G buzzes a bit because of the fall, but none of that is audible, and the playing is not affected. Try this catastrophe with any other guitar and you will be buying a new one or paying alot to get it repaired. Amazing if you ask me. Even the finish wasn't affected!