Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: Instrumental Music

For the styles I play (classic rock, alternative, Indie, psychadelic), this guitar is perfect. Sold the Bassman amp a while ago, opting for the cheaper FM 212R (was running low on $), and I'm using a Boss NS-2, MXR Phase 90, Crybaby 535Q wah pedal, and a Radial Engineering distortion pedal. Compared to my Strat, it's unbelievably quiet in clean, overdriven, and distorted modes. I use the bridge pickup for a brighter lead sound and the neck pickup for the rich rhythm tone. Definately one of the more versatile guitars on the market.

It's a great match for my style of music, so I'm thrilled. I've had this guitar for a little over a year now and it has not let me down. I love just about everything about this guitar, although the pickups get a little muddy with my phaser sometimes. Great guitar, and well worth the money.

Les Pauls are notoriously tough due to their meaty bodies and abundance of wood, so even when I screw up and drop it, the results are unnoticable. The gold plating has begun to fade a bit on the edges, but I am not particularly obsessed with keppeing it looking like new, so it is no big deal. THe strap locks do unlock every once and a while, sometimes causing my precious baby to crash to the floor, so the strap buttons have let me down a couple times. I think the finish will last a very long time, because it's very thick.

The action was perfect upon bringing it home, and the pickups were adjusted fine. The top is perfectly bookmatched and properly routed bridge. There were a couple fine scratches on it because it was a floor model, but that has nothing to fo with quality, so I was really very happy with the finish.

I have a 2004 Gibson LP Studio, American made (like all Gibsons). '60s style neck with 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, flamed top in desertburst finish. It's got a regular Tune-O-Matic bridge. There are two volume knobs and two tone knobs (one for each pickup). Two humbucking pickups (490R and 498T I think), and I'm not sure what kind of tuners, Grover maybe?