Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: Mars Music

I'm all about straight up blues with a little jazz and rock on the side. I play through a Tech21 Trademark 60 amp. The Gibson LP Studio is all about fat fat sustain. This is the sound I dreamed about having but could never get out of the old '70s Strat I had for 20 years. My Studio model gives me that thick fat bridge pickup sound that symbolizes hard rock a la Jimmy Page and Joe Perry. The neck pickup gives me that rich Jazz box sound I always dreamed of and lets me in to Pat Metheney and John McLaughlin territory. It's also essential for getting that Robert Fripp tone. The middle position gives me great clean Blues and early rock tones and is very beautiful and unique to my ears with cleaner amp settings.

If you really love electric guitar you really only need two models to get all the different tonal flavors for different songs. One is the Gibson LP and the other is the Fender Strat. I love my Studio LP but I also have to have the Strat for that single coil sound. With these two guitars there is nothing you can't do. Nothing else sounds or plays like a Gibson LP. It's been around for so many years with virtually no changes for a good reason.

It's a Gibson folks. Everything is good quality but it should be treated with tender loving care to last forever. Strap buttons are ok. Pickup selector will act up if it's not used for a while. Flipping back and forth a few times will fix it. There is nothing cheap about this guitar. The gold wears off the hardware which is a drag.

Action you set yourself. It doesn't matter what the factory did. Pickups are also set by yourself. Factory settings are irrelevant. There were some flaws on this one but it had the best tone of all the Studios I tried in the store so I chose sound over perfection. They don't all sound the same folks. I'm very lucky to get a really good sounding example of the breed.

This is a black 2001 model with gold hardware. Rosewood fingerboard. Carved maple top. Mahogany neck and body. Single cutaway style. Tune-O-Matic bridge. 3-way selector with separate tone and volume controls. Gibson humbuckers. Grover tuners. It came with plush satin LP case. It has the smaller neck position markers which is a drag. It's plain jane but beautiful all the same.