Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

I play classic rock and classic metal and this guitar gives me all the sound that I need. I use a Vox AD30 VT Valvetronix amp because of all of the different amp models. Usually I don't like to use effects but occasionally I will use a wah on my solos. This configuration can give you virtually any kind of sound that you want. Les Pauls are very versatile music wise. I can get any kind of music out of it.

I play classic rock and classic metal and the Les Paul is the best bet for my needs. I have been playing for six years. I have an acoustic Washburn and a Gibson SG. I would buy this guitar again but in a Heritage cherry finish. I love the feel of a big guitar and the weight relieved chambered body and everything else. My favorite feature is the tuners because they never seem to go out of tune. I compared this gutar to a Fender Stratocaster and a Jackson Randy Rhoads. I chose this one because it is easier to carry around and has a lot more sustain. The thing I wish it had though was a Bigsby vibrato bridge.

This guitar is great for Live playing. It never goes out of tune. The hardware doesn't seem to want to give way any time soon. I didn't like the strap buttons so I installed some Dunlop Straploks. This guitar doesn't need a backup for the gigs I am in. The finish is nice and thick and I sweat a lot and the finish is still there.

The action was at a bit of a low side but I took care of that. I didn't like the pickups so I installed a Seymour Duncan set. Everything else was of top knotch Gibson quality. I see no flaws in any piece of the guitar except for a small scratch in the bridge but that is no big deal.

This guitar was made sometime in late 2006. It has the Standard 22 frets on most Les Pauls with a 12" radius neck and a dark rosewood fretboard with Standard medium frets. It is a solid top and mine is a limited edition alpine white finish. The body is a chambered mahogany body with a maple capped top with a mahogany neck. It also has a nice nitro cellulose lacquer finish. It is a Standard Singlecut Les Paul shape. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic with a stoptail piece. The Standard pickups are a 490R (neck) and a 498T (bridge) pickup, but I replaced them with a Seymour Duncan '59 and JB set. It has 2 volume, one with a coil tap for the JB, and 2 tone controls and a 3-way pickup switch and the middle Switch is a phase. The tuners are Vintage spec Gibson tuners. This guitar came with a combination lock case.