Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: guitar center

I play southern rock, classic rock, and a little bit of blues. This guitar is a perfect fit for all those. It even does great when I mess around with a little bit of metal. I use a Boss ME-50 effects pedal through a Roland Cube 30 and the Les Paul sounds wonderful. Some times it is a little bit noisy when I turn on the distortion but you can't here it when you are playing and the amazing feedback makes up for any unwanted sounds. The clean sound is great but distortion is just plane phenomonal. When I have it on clean and my pedal all the way up it turns it into an overdrive. This guitar can go from singing high clean\distortion to a thick bluesy clean or distortion all thanks to the two humbuckers. and tone knobs.

From southern rock to metal this guitar will do the job. I've been playing for three years and also own a Fender Acoustic and a Fender Stratocaster along with the amp and pedal I mentioned. The Gibson Les Paul is by far my favorite of all the things I own. If somebody stole this guitar I would get the 12-gauge and go after 'em. If I didn't get the guitar back I would by another one if not a LP standerd or if I had enough money a costum. I love the two humbuckers and the full sound this guitar makes. There is nothing I hate about it and nothing I wish it had extra exept a cheaper price tag. I chose the Gibson Les Paul because of it's lookes and all kinds of guys play a Les Paul (the guy from skynard, Brad Avery, and Slash) just to name a few. After I bought the LP studio I compared it to my Strat and I like the Les Paul for most songs but I will still use the Fender.

I am pretty sure it would stand up to live play. I haven't played it live yet but I have used it during one of our band practices and our practices get pretty rowdy. I think the hard wear will last but will start to tarnish after a wile. The strap buttons are solid but small. I know depend on this guitar and would gig without a back up if I wasn't so cautious. I will also be using my Fender Stratocaster just for a different sound but I don't have any worries about this Les Paul braking on me.

The set-up, action, and pick-ups were all perfect. The top was and still is beutiful. There was a crack were the neck meets the body that I didn't notice at the store but nothing major. The rhythm tone knob is a little bit loose and the sound is sometimes effected when I flip the pick up selector real fast when a note or chord is being played or still ringing but again nothing to make me not love this guitar.

I'm not sure when it was made but I know it was made in the USA. It has 22 frets with trapezoid inlays on a fat mahogany neck.The carved maple top looks great and the body is also mahogany. The single cutaway body has a tune-o-matic bridge, two volume and tone knobs and a 3-way pick up selector (bridge or treble\bridge and neck\neck or rhythm)for two burstbucker pick-ups and The black toped headstock has grover locking tuners. This one came with hard shell case.