Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

Price paid: C$ 1269

Purchased from: Long and Mquade

This guitar with my Jet City jca20s combo and matching 112 cab is all rock and roll. It sounds about as close to perfect, to my ears, as I think I'll find. Very similar to the classic Marshall and Gibson pairing. There's no hum, and the pickups can really push this low watt tube amp. I'm giving it a 9 because I'm sure there's room for improvement but I'll have fun finding it.

I play mostly rock, and I've shaped my rig towards that, but I do play blues, metal, punk, and ska as well. It does all of those really well, though it's neck is not fast enough for it to be a metal guitar. I've been playing for 7 or 8 years now, I can't remember and the only other guitar gear I own is a Squier Bullet, the Jet City stack mentioned earlier and a Dunlop Cry Baby wah. I've owned every kind of guitar there is really, speaking genarically, and this baby shines way above everything I've ever played. It's the Gibson to get, it's priced right and just a solid no-frills axe. I love almost everything about it but I'm still adjusting to the neck and general feel over prolonged periods. As mentioned earlier this guitar has everything I want and nothing more. It's the essence of what a Les Paul is and should be. If it were ever stolen I'd hate to be the person who stole it lets just put it that way.

Well it's a Gibson so what do you think? If you treat any guitar right it'll stand up to time, cheaper guitars there hardware and finishes will deteriorate but I'm positive this guitar will outlive me. I did change the strap buttons to strap locks, something I recomend for every guitar. The strap buttons were pretty small and that can be scary as your strap ages. As for gigging without a back-up I have no doubt you could with one of these but I don't suggest it.

The guitar is set up really well. It's intonated, the actions good, pickups are at a good height with no volume difference between them. The finish is amazing, I love transparent finishes because you get to see the beautiful wood grain underneath. Completely flawless and absolutely beautiful. I gave it an 8 though just because of the action, it could be a bit lower and then the neck can wear your hand out a bit if you're not used to it.

Everyone know's the features of the Les Paul so there's no need to mention it again. Mine is in wine red and made in 2009. Came with the Gibson hardshell case, obviously. I give it a 10 because for me it's the perfect set up. All my guitars have 2 humbuckers and that's how I like it.