Les Paul Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio

The sound from the Les Paul Studio is wonderful. When I was testing out guitars the sound of this guitar seemed to jump out of the amp at me in a way that couldn't be matched even by the high-end Gibsons and PRS guitars. I play rhythm in an alternative/indie rock band through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with an Ampeg 4x12 cab. I get a great chunky tone for the riffs that I play as well as a nice crisp tone for leads/solos. My band mate plays a Fender Strat and I feel the guitars complement each other very well. I have also played this guitar through a Fender Deluxe 4x10 combo and had great results in the neck pickup.

Over all I love the guitar, if you couldn't tell. If this were stolen or lost I would most definitely get another. I have played a lot of guitars in my years as a professional musician and in fact own a Fender Strat, Fender Tele Deluxe and Epiphone SG. I purchased the Telecaster after the LP studio but always go back to the Gibson as my primary guitar.

I have been playing live shows with this guitar consistently for 4 years since purchasing it and it has stood up to the tests of the road. I would never go to a gig without a backup guitar as you can break a string at any time, but I never have to worry about anything else going wrong with this guitar. The guitar still sounds a great as it did the day I bought it. I did have an issue with the pick-up selector going out on me, but I over-use it as an effect and simply wore out the contacts. The rest of the electronics including the pick-ups, input jack, potentiometers have had no issues just with Standard maintenance. The finish seems to be wearing. I again have the Alpine White finish and on certain places on the guitar, mainly the back of the neck and on the front left bottom side where my right arm rests on the guitar. I don't mind wear, in fact i welcome it but its fading to a yellow-y sort of color. But for me I like the worn look of an old guitar and look forward to years from now having a sweet road-worn guitar. The gold hardware also wears off quite easily. The bridge, Bridge pickup and tail stop have spots that have worn due to my incessant palm muting. Its fine for me as I am thinking about getting all new silver hardware sometime soon any ways as I have grown uninterested in the gold.

I purchased this guitar over 4 years ago but the factory set-up seemed fine to me as I do not remember any issues with it. The electronics were in great shape, no flaws at all with the guitar. I also had the good fortune of buying a non floor model that was still in the box.

Made in 2006 in USA. 22 Frets, 24.75" scale. Mahogany neck, ebony fretboard. Mahogany and carved maple top. Alpine White finish with gold plated hardware. Tune-O-Matic Bridge Passive Electronics 2 volume and 2 tone knobs with a 3 way pickup selector Dual humbuckers, 490R Alnico magnet humbucker in the neck position and the Gibson 498T Alnico magnet humbucker in the Bridge position Gibson Deluxe tuners, non-locking. Case Included.