Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker

Purchased from: Furtados India

I play a variety of music styles starting from '60s and '70s classic rock, a hell lot of blues, Indie rock and modern day progressive stuff as well. This is my first Les Paul guitar and I am very satisfied with it. This guitar undoubtedly goes great with all forms of rock. It gives the exact sound of Zeppelin and AC/DC with my Orange amp and Boss BD2. It has the typical FAT Les Paul Tone and an unlimited sustain. The neck pickup produces a mellow catlike purr which makes the blues sound crazy. The most striking thing about this guitar is the power is develops from both the Pickups. It's like a roaring lion. However the fat tone is not that great for playing modern metal or progressive stuff... but that is hardly the guitars fault. This is what a Studio Les Paul is supposed to be I guess. The clean tone of the guitar is good but for clean tones I always like Fender style guitars better with the single coil twang. However this guitar is a classic and a powerhouse of rock. I Love it.

I play a variety of music styles starting from '60s and '70s classic rock, a hell lot of blues, indie rock, and modern day progressive stuff as well. The '50s Tribute suits me very well though it's not THAT great for the modern metal and progressive styles. It's made for that blues and rock sound typical to Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. '80s metal like Randy Rhoads tones come off brilliantly as well. I wish this guitar had a clean tone like a Fender Tele, but I guess that s an impossibility with a Les Paul. Yes I would definitely find the thief who steals this guitar from me and take it back from him. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

One major disadvantage with this guitar is the tuning. It falls off after two song, but after fixing the strings in a locking manner, it has not been that great a problem. It is advisable to change the tuners to Grover Tuners. Have not played live with the guitar yet but it looks and sounds sturdy enough to withstand live playing, and the finish also seems pretty strong. The strap buttons are a little small but strong. It seems to be a pretty dependable guitar and I bought I mainly because I wanted a better live sound. I think that this guitar will solve that purpose and can be used without a backup.

Before buying this guitar I did some research in the net about Gibson Guitars. I read that they are famous for their finish. I had to agree with that when I first saw my guitar. Everything in the guitar was dreamlike, staring from the black Gibson USA case to the white fur interiors (not real animal fur I hope) and to the guitar it self. I got the Honeyburst finish and its got a woodlike finish that I prefer more that the glossy ones that are there in the Les Paul Standards. There was a small dent in the body but I hold the retailer responsible for that.

Made in December 2011 in Nashville USA. Body: - Top: Maple - Back: Mahogany - Body Type: Chambered - Adhesive: Franklin Titebond 50 - Finish: Satin Neck: - Species: Mahogany - Profile: "Studio 50s" Rounded - Truss Rod: Traditional Adjustable - Joint Angle: 5 (+/ 15 seconds) - Adhesive: Franklin Titebond 50 Fingerboard: - Species: Baked Maple - Frets: 22 mediumjumbo frets - Radius: 12" - Nut/E.O.B: 1.695"/2.260" - Inlays: Acrylic Trapezoids Hardware: - Knobs: Gold Top Hats with Inserts - Toggle Switch: Cream with Gold Imprint - Pickguard: Cream Plastic - Strap Buttons: Black Aluminum - Tuners: TonePros Kluson-style tuners Pickups: - Neck Position: Uncovered 490R (Alnico II) - Bridge Position: Uncovered 498T (Alnico V) Electronics: - Potentiometers: 2 Volume Controls, 2 Tone Controls - Type: 300k Linear Volume, 500k Nonlinear Tone - Coil Wiring: Machine Wound - Toggle Switch: Threeway Switchcraft with White Plastic Tip - Output Jack: Traditional 1/4"

Rockeagle540
    Great Axe, got it a few months ago, imo, just as good as the standards, would defo recomend
    mariano.dodds
    Amazing guitar, a Rock'n'roll beast! Got mine goldtop. With a friend of mine, we compared on a blind test his Gibson Les Paul Custom 1981 and my Gold Top, and he preferred the most the Tribute sound! Believe it or not. Awesome!