Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker

Purchased from: American Musical Supply, Inc.

While having a very classic look it is actually a modern take on the Les Paul 2012 edition made in USA with 22 Medium jumbo frets Mahogany neck a baked maple fretboard and contoured maple top I have a few small issues first of all the pick ups it would've been nice if they had included the '50s Burstbuckers it would've been cool if it had coil tapping. At first I was very skeptical of the baked maple fretboard however that has turned out to be my favorite part of the guitar. Mahogany body and '50s rounded neck are very comfortable to my hands (not for all)this is a very lite weight guitar compared to my other Les Paul's. And that's a good thing.

Good sound although would have been nice if the 57 Burstbuckers came on the '50s Les Paul. Came with Uncovered 490R Alnico II and Uncovered 498T Alnico V they sound pretty good. I play blues, rock, country and roots Americana so this guitar suits what I play very well. The guitar has a very full bassy sound that is good for some kinds of music but not all. I've been playing through a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue 40-Watt and a Marshall Dual Super Lead 40-watt with single 12 inch speakers and a Whirlwind Selector A/B Box I get good classic country and classic rock sounds.

This guitar came with tens on it and a very good set up from the factory played it for several days without doing anything however, I always do my own set up it's my guitar so I wanted to play like I want it. The height of the pickups needed to be adjusted. Finish on this guitar is a thin nitrocellulose Matt finish. The top is very nice and the paint job is good however there was a blemish on the back of the neck down where the neck meets the guitar body that's something I don't care about but not exactly perfect.

Got this in 2012 and played two years worth of gigs on it with no back up and no problems. The downfall of this guitar is its tuners they stay in tune but not for an entire gig. Strap buttons are tiny aluminum jobs and needed to be replaced in my opinion. This guitar has a thin nitrocellulose finish that will wear when you sweat on it. I played several times a week I do gigs several times a month and this guitar has never let me down just keep going I don't see any and there are no foreseeable problems in the future this guitar is very dependable very reliable I would not hesitate to use this at a gig without a back up and I do.

I play rock country blues and Americana so this guitar is a good match for me. I played fender for years but wanted a Les Paul for those classic tones I love. I've been playing professionally for 20 years mostly country and roots music. I wish I had known more about the baked maple neck and the '50s rounded neck before I purchase this guitar. However both have turned out to be a blessing. If I lost this guitar or someone stole it or it got broken, I'd be very sad because this is a discontinued guitar they don't make them anymore anyway I would want another one if I could find it.