Les Paul Studio Deluxe '60s review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio Deluxe '60s

Purchased from: Guitarcenter

I play anything from Children of Bodom to the Big 4 (Metallica Anthrax Slayer Megadeth) to Led Zeppelin and this fits my style very well. Even though I'm using a Marshall MG15FX I can still get a solid tone for my playing style. The guitar can be noisy with feedback at high volume. It has a great sound with a coil tap. This guitar is versatile with the addition of coil tap. The coil tap however can be as twangy as a tele, that to me is awesome.

I play anything from classic rock to full on death metal and this fits so very well. I've actually been playing for more than 2 years. If it was stolen I would find the thief, and torture him and his family. If it happened to be lost however, I would save up money to buy another one. I saw this at a guitarcenter begging to be played and I just loved it and I couldn't let go. I wish it had a Floyd Rose though... but thats no problem.

I've actually never played this live yet but the hardware seems like it'll last. The problem is the strap buttons which are as small as a thumb tack but I'll get them changed for some Schaller Straplocks. I could use it in a gig without a backup as long as I get straplocks but I play in different tunings so I would bring a backup just for that. The finish and hardware seems like it'll last a lifetime.

The guitar was set-up well at the factory. The action was really low which is great for me. The neck is really comfortable for me but can be sticky at times. The pickup height was a little higher than I like so that was taken care of. No loose controls, the pickup selector is a little noisy but not noticeable. The finish can be a bit sticky at times but thats what a soft cloth is for.

-Made in the USA in 2010 -22 Frets with a 24.75 Neck Scale -Rosewood Fretboard (Ebony on Silverburst Model) -60's Neck Profile -Mahogany Neck and Body with a Maple Top -Carved Top -Set Neck -Corian Nut -Grover Non-Locking Tuners -Neck Pickup: 490R with Coil Tap -Bridge Pickup: Burstbucker Pro with Coil Tap -Chrome Hardware -TOM Bridge -Case Included

usetheforce93
    Wow... There are some tremendous *****s on here. You people diss everyone who writes a review. Don't give him shot over his amp. I'm sure he'll buy a better one later. He was just trying to give people wanting to buy this some infor to help them make a better decision. Are any of you even going to buy this guitar or do you just come here to troll and make yourselves feel better? Tell you what *****s; I'm going to buy this and play it through a 10 watt starter kit amp. How do you "cool kids" like that? You were all beginners at one time, don't forget that. Peace mother****ers.
    shaboom0000
    RetroGunslinger
    I tried hitting all legendary Les Paul tones from Guns And Roses, Led Zeppelin, Sabbath , Maiden , Ozzy, AC/DC , etc... Yes because those bands are renowned for their use of les pauls
    Linkerman
    Bad review, by an inexperienced reviewer. Seriously? A $1,400 guitar through a cheap practice amp? How can you even hear the guitar's own character through it? If you could afford this guitar, you definitely could afford a really good amp. An obvious bad choice, which screams of inexperience.
    MaggaraMarine
    shaboom0000 wrote: JESUS. Thank you usetheforce93! Guys, you really do give people a ton of shit for their equipment don't you? I have an MG15CDR and I'm getting this guitar in like 2 weeks, and heck, it may not be the greatest amp, but remember, some people can't really use gigantic amps because they have things called neighbours, who, if you play too loud, will go apeshit on your ass. So just chillax, and remember, some people just play guitar cause it's fun as hell, and don't really need the biggest and baddest amps out there. One day maybe, but c'mon, give him a break about it.
    And some guys also use many amps, not just the only amp they have at home. And guitar isn't only about sound (and if you just practice at home, you don't need that great tone). If it feels and plays great, why not buy it?
    stndrdprcdre
    theogonia777 wrote: I've actually been playing for more than 2 years who spends $1400 on a guitar after only playing for two years?
    People who have the money and like to put it towards their passion. There's never a shortage of *****s on UG who think it's their position to decide how much one should spend on a guitar based on how long they've been playing. And if you really want to go there, $1,300 is on the low side compared to how much one can plop down on an LP. I own this guitar and it's a great guitar for players of all levels and abilities. If you want a great workhorse LP without all the binding, inlay, and other frilly BS of the higher end models, this guitar is perfect.
    MaggaraMarine
    I would recommend a Vox Valvetronix or Fender Super Sonic if you wanna go cheaper than a Marshall MA50C.
    WTF? Fender Supersonic is pretty expensive amp and much more expensive than MA50. It's like double of the price of MA50.
    IusePentatonic
    oh and regarding my last post and the people that say if you can afford this guitar you can afford a better amp. When you are a teenager mowing lawns and bagging groceries over the summer its hard to get money for a great amp.
    IusePentatonic
    I use this guitar with a Line 6 spider II and it simply gets the job done for me (teenager playing for 5 years). sure i would love a better amp to get an overall better sound but for me it definately works for small gigs, etc.
    Sixty7camaro
    I has this guitar and an MG10 Marshall. This guitar sounds awesome even through my $29 head phones which is why I use the MG - when the house is clear I hook up to my TSL602!! Guitar is awesome either way!!!
    SilverRock113
    Guys quit dissing the fact that i had a marshall mg. i just bought a peavey vypyr. i tried the les paul on a variety of amps before i bought it.
    theogonia777
    I've actually been playing for more than 2 years
    who spends $1400 on a guitar after only playing for two years?
    nitroguitarist
    my friend owns a the sg reissue (the one in the sixties somewhere? I forget what year)and a line 6 spider 3 true it doesn't do the guitar justice but it defiantly sounds better with that going through it.
    Magicpad
    Wow... crappy review for a fantastic guitar. I will have to post a proper review. BTW I run mine through a bogner shiva
    TheAbsentOne
    I can't fathom why anyone spends over a grand on a guitar, but has something along the lines of an MG or Spider..
    sg4ever
    Hmmm...$150 amp...$1,400 guitar. I somehow saw that going differently in my head. More power to you if you like your rig. I bet, you would have liked a decent sounding amp with a perhaps not as expensive guitar even better though...
    EpiExplorer
    Bet you dont have many aspirations. Its a flawed review for sure and aren't there enough LP's today?
    r0ckth3d34n
    Why the hell would the need a pickup swap? Pre-'09 models have the 490R/498T combo that's used in other Gibson LP and some SG models... Traditional and SG Standard come to mind. After '09*, they have Burstbucker Pros, which are very excellent pickups and used on most of Gibson's higher-end Les Paul models. I have a feeling, that if you use the tone knob and EQ the amp right, a pickup swap would be incredibly unnecessary. I've gotten almost any tone imaginable out of an LP Studio... *This only refers to the Faded finish models. The deluxe and other Studios come stock with 490R/498T
    TheLifeguard
    This model may not be affordable, BUT! If you don't mind the faded finish, the faded models are very nice. They do need a pickup swap however.
    Adam124
    You're not ding the guitar any justice of you're playing it through an MG. This is about the 200t review I've seen with the same scenario.
    edgarm16
    So does anyone have anything to say about the guitar or did we switch to amps here? I'm looking to buy this and wanted to read some of your comments on it. Focus guys, help me see if this "affordable" guitar (which is worth more than the car I drive) is worth the $. Oh, btw, I don't even have an amp, I play through a multi fx board into a PA, LOL!!!