Les Paul Studio Double Cut review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Purchased from: worldmusicnashville.com

I really enjoy the sound on this guitar, I mainly chose it because I liked the sound of Jade Puget's guitar, which is an Ebony Les Paul Studio as well. I mainly play punk, classic rock, rock, some blues, and some mellow songs that my guitar teacher taught me. This guitar works very wellfor all types of music pretty much, except maybe country, which I don't play, so I wouldn't know how it sounds for it. This guitar somehow even sounds good through my solid state Laney TF100 amp. The Les Paul Studio has a very full and warm tone to it; in fact, the sound actually makes me want to play guitar more. Another minor thing that some people might overlook is how well a guitar will stay in tune, and this guitar does not disappoint, even though the tuners stick out to the side, they never really seem to get knocked out of tune. One of the things that I love about this guitar is its natural sustain, you can hold notes for a very long time. The distortion pedal that I use is the Boss DS-2, and this guitar sounds great through it, I love the distortion. After tweaking the tone controls on my guitar, I can change the sound, so it is very versatile.. Whether you are shredding, arpegiatting, or strumming some power chords along to your favorite song, you will find that this guitar does them all, and sounds amazing.

I love this guitar, it is so much better than the one that I upgraded from, and makes me appear to be better than I really am. If someone stole it, I wouldn't chase him down, I'm too lazy, but I'd send my rabid attack dog after him. But in all seriousness, I would buy this again if it was destroyed. For half the price of many Les Paul Standards, this guitar is a very good, choice, I would highly recommend it.

This guitar is very reliable, and I have gigged with it and never had any problems. Plus, it's built like a tank, and it doesn't get dented or scuffed very easily. I do have one minor complaint about this guitar, the finish on the ebony makes it easy to see fingerprints, so I have to polish it more often than I would like, but that's very minor.

There were no flaws that I could find in the guitar. Pretty much the only thing wrong was that it took so damn long to get shipped to me, I couldn't stand waiting for a week, it seemed like so long. When it did arrive, I was very happy with it, it wasn't quite in tune, but it was just shipped several miles, so that explains it. The pickups are in the perfect position, and are quite nice. This guitar is very fast, (this may sound stupid, but it's true!) and it actually made me seem better.

BODY Top Species: Carved maple top Back Species: Mahogany NECK Species: Mahogany Profile: '59 Les Paul Rounded Peghead Pitch: 17 Thickness at 1st fret: 0.818" Thickness at 12th fret: 0.963" Heel Length: 0.625" Neck Joint Location: 16th fret FINGERBOARD Species: Rosewood; Ebony on Classic/Alpine Wht, Platinum Scale length: 243/4" Total Length: 18.062" Nut Width: 111/16" Width at 12th fret: 2.062" Frets: 22 Inlays: Pearloid trapezoid, none on Platinum HARDWARE Plating Finish: Chrome or Gold Brushed Chrome on Platinum Bridge: Tune-o-matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Knobs: Black Speed Tuners: Green Key ELECTRONICS Neck Pickup: 490R Alnico magnet humbucker Bridge Pickup: 498T Alnico magnet humbucker Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way Switch CASE Exterior: Black Reptile Pattern Hardshell Interior: Dark Grey Plush with Black Shroud Silkscreen: Silver 'Gibson USA' logo STRINGS Brite Wires .010-.046 I got the Ebony model, which is the best looking in my humble opinion. It's made in Nashville Tennesee, and mine is the 2004 Les Paul. The neck is a little bit fat, but it feels more substantial to me. However, there is one problem with this guitar, it's weight; it weighs a lot. I came from a lighter Ibanez Gio which was about a third of the weight, so just be sure to try one out if you are thinking about getting one to make sure that you are ok with its weight. Because of that, it gets a four.