Les Paul Studio Double Cut Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 05/21/2016 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Studio Double Cut
Carved maple top, Mahogany back. Mahogany Neck. Rosewood Fingerboard. Chrome Hardware. Controls: one volume, one tone, three-way switch.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 5,050
reviews (4) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Studio Double Cut Reviewed by: Zosorocker1, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Music Gallery

Features: Made in the U.S of A. 24 Frets. One tone control, one volume control. Classic Les Paul pickups, installed by the previous owner. Heritage cherry sunburst. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of Heavy Blues and Classic Rock, yet I'm in an alternitive rock band. The sound matches that of the Les Paul Standard. With the Classic Les Paul Pick ups I get a much more fuller and richer sound then the standard studio pick ups. I recommend putting some on urself if you are going to by one. The 24 frets allow u to go all the way down the neck and the double cut allows for easy playing when ur hammering out those licks. I'm using a Peavey amp but I forgot what size it is. It's big. Sometimes I use a boss distortion pedal when I want a thicker distortion then the Peavey can offer. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Because I bought this bad boy used, I'm not sure what it was like when it came out of the factory, but I talked with the previous owner and he said that he only had to change the pickups and thats it. The wrap around bridge is nice and I like the action that I get from it. I play lead guitar and I like to play fast, real fast, so the high action is just what I need. The finish is really nice and if you take care of it, it will last you a long time. The tuning pegs are plastic, but just go online and pay for some nice ivory ones. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely capable of playing live in gigs. The guitar stays in tune a lot longer than my Fender fat Strat. I would never go to a gig without a backup cus you never know whats going to happen but if I had to I think I would be pretty safe with this guitar. I have not had a problem with the strap buttons and I don't think I will. The finish is a little thin, but it won't wear off. The guy that had it before me had it for 7 years and played it hard and it stills looks brand new. However the finish is not as thick as the standard or the classic so be careful of chips and stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar. Now I have to go to class so if you have anymore questions just ask. // 8

Les Paul Studio Double Cut Reviewed by: maxvcore, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: worldmusicnashville.com

Features: BODY Top Species: Carved maple top Back Species: Mahogany NECK Species: Mahogany Profile: '59 Les Paul Rounded Peghead Pitch: 17 Thickness at 1st fret: 0.818" Thickness at 12th fret: 0.963" Heel Length: 0.625" Neck Joint Location: 16th fret FINGERBOARD Species: Rosewood; Ebony on Classic/Alpine Wht, Platinum Scale length: 243/4" Total Length: 18.062" Nut Width: 111/16" Width at 12th fret: 2.062" Frets: 22 Inlays: Pearloid trapezoid, none on Platinum HARDWARE Plating Finish: Chrome or Gold Brushed Chrome on Platinum Bridge: Tune-o-matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Knobs: Black Speed Tuners: Green Key ELECTRONICS Neck Pickup: 490R Alnico magnet humbucker Bridge Pickup: 498T Alnico magnet humbucker Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way Switch CASE Exterior: Black Reptile Pattern Hardshell Interior: Dark Grey Plush with Black Shroud Silkscreen: Silver 'Gibson USA' logo STRINGS Brite Wires .010-.046 I got the Ebony model, which is the best looking in my humble opinion. It's made in Nashville Tennesee, and mine is the 2004 Les Paul. The neck is a little bit fat, but it feels more substantial to me. However, there is one problem with this guitar, it's weight; it weighs a lot. I came from a lighter Ibanez Gio which was about a third of the weight, so just be sure to try one out if you are thinking about getting one to make sure that you are ok with its weight. Because of that, it gets a four. // 8

Sound: I really enjoy the sound on this guitar, I mainly chose it because I liked the sound of Jade Puget's guitar, which is an Ebony Les Paul Studio as well. I mainly play punk, classic rock, rock, some blues, and some mellow songs that my guitar teacher taught me. This guitar works very wellfor all types of music pretty much, except maybe country, which I don't play, so I wouldn't know how it sounds for it. This guitar somehow even sounds good through my solid state Laney TF100 amp. The Les Paul Studio has a very full and warm tone to it; in fact, the sound actually makes me want to play guitar more. Another minor thing that some people might overlook is how well a guitar will stay in tune, and this guitar does not disappoint, even though the tuners stick out to the side, they never really seem to get knocked out of tune. One of the things that I love about this guitar is its natural sustain, you can hold notes for a very long time. The distortion pedal that I use is the Boss DS-2, and this guitar sounds great through it, I love the distortion. After tweaking the tone controls on my guitar, I can change the sound, so it is very versatile.. Whether you are shredding, arpegiatting, or strumming some power chords along to your favorite song, you will find that this guitar does them all, and sounds amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There were no flaws that I could find in the guitar. Pretty much the only thing wrong was that it took so damn long to get shipped to me, I couldn't stand waiting for a week, it seemed like so long. When it did arrive, I was very happy with it, it wasn't quite in tune, but it was just shipped several miles, so that explains it. The pickups are in the perfect position, and are quite nice. This guitar is very fast, (this may sound stupid, but it's true!) and it actually made me seem better. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable, and I have gigged with it and never had any problems. Plus, it's built like a tank, and it doesn't get dented or scuffed very easily. I do have one minor complaint about this guitar, the finish on the ebony makes it easy to see fingerprints, so I have to polish it more often than I would like, but that's very minor. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, it is so much better than the one that I upgraded from, and makes me appear to be better than I really am. If someone stole it, I wouldn't chase him down, I'm too lazy, but I'd send my rabid attack dog after him. But in all seriousness, I would buy this again if it was destroyed. For half the price of many Les Paul Standards, this guitar is a very good, choice, I would highly recommend it. // 10

Les Paul Studio Double Cut Reviewed by: dcoyle4040, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: musciansfriend.com

Sound: This is by far the best deeal outhere. The Anico 5 Burkbuster Pro pickups are the very same pickups used in the Gibson standard and sound amazing! The Tune-O-Matic bridge is great to have. When I got this guitar it had a slight buzz on the low E and with a couple turns on the tunomatic it was completely gone and sounding sweet, all without haveing to restring (love that). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is good. Feels like only Gibson can (kind of a cross between a Fender and a acoustic). The finish I got was the cherry matte. It isnt the high gloss like most more expensive models but this is the only difference between them. In fact with the Anico 5's this is a better guitar than some of the more expensive models. One cool thing I've noticed is that the more you play this the shinnier it gets. Really it gets buffed to a high gloss mostly around the areas that have contact with your skin. I. e. neck and along the edge of the body where your forarm would rest. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had any problems with it, seems tough. It comes with a locking Gibson hard case. It's not quite as heavy as a regular LP because it's made from solid mohogany instead of hard maple with a mohogany top like most. I think this gives it a better tone. // 10

Overall Impression: If this were lost or stolen I would definatly get another. I wish it came with the high gloss finish but some people have told me they like the matte finish better. // 10

Les Paul Studio Double Cut Reviewed by: jeffjordanntc, on may 21, 2016

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: The guitar is a 1999 model. This is the second one I've owned, the first was a '98 model I bought at Missouri Music in Columbia, MO ($600 - close-out item). The guitar has 24 frets, cherry sunburst, the '60s slim taper neck (my favorite neck), chambered body, Gibson's 490T and 498T pickups, one volume, one tone, and a three way switch. Medium-jumbo frets, wraparound bridge, nickel hardware, old style Gibson tuners. It came with a Gibson HSC. The gloss finish has checking (on the top), makes me think of a '50s or '60s Gibson. No binding. // 9

Sound: This is a versatile guitar. I play rock, blues, praise and worship, clean and distorted. It has great clean jazz tones. It suits my playing very well. I call the guitar Sparkles because of the sparkling tone. It is actually better than the 1998 model I had. It plays better and the tone is richer.

I play through a Carvin Bel-Air two twelve 60 watt amp with British style speaker. My pedal-board will vary from time to time, but I use all of these in a variety of combinations.

• DOD FX-17 Volume Wah
  • Marley Volume Wah
  • Vox Classic Wah
  • EHX Soul Food (always because of the buffer capability)
  • T-Rex Crunchy Frog OD/Boost
  • Hardwire DL-8 Delay/ Looper
  • Quick Tune Tuner
  • Modtone MT-PT1 Tuner
  • Live Wire Advantage cords and patch cords & Spectraflex cords
There is no noise, it works great with pedals and the amp. Tone settings tend to be Bass-2, Mids-1 Treble-9 and it is very bass rich. I can brighten the sound with the bridge pickup but I often have to dial the tone down a bit. I play mostly with the neck pickup and sometimes both. Less than 10% with the bridge pup alone. This guitar rocks, literally and metaphorically. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know about factory setup, though I've heard that Gibson's factory setups are questionable, but it was set up professionally and the action is great and it suits me well. I don't shred, but I have the action set fairly low, especially given that I am mostly a rhythm player and I play hard. I all but beat the guitar. The pickups set just right and I set the pickup screws for the tone at 90% angles to each other. The top is very plain and the grain matches up very neatly. there's nothing wrong with the guitar from a manufacturers point of view. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything is solid on this guitar. The pickup covers are nickel plated, the bridge and tuners are nickel. The tuners have the pearloid acorn shaped buttons. The nickel is wearing well. The only reason I would use a backup would be if I needed a single coil tone, like a strat or tele, or I broke a string. The finish is cherry sunburst on top, cherry red on the back and on the back of the neck - other than some cracking (and could be due to rapid temp change by a previous owner) is sound. I am just typing to add enough characters so it will accept this submission. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing 41 years, since the summer before my Senior year in high school. I've played and owned several Les Pauls, a Standard (don't know the year), a 1982 Custom with a factory installed Kahler, a mid-70's modified Deluxe and a 72 Deluxe, and a '78 Firebrand. I would put it up against any of these guitars and it's much better than any Strat I've had.

I would replace it if lost or stolen. I love the double-cut look. I do wish it had Gibson's Vari-tone switch. That would make it the only guitar I'd need to take to a gig. // 10

Comments