Les Paul Studio Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio Faded

Price paid: € 650

Purchased from: Musicarte (Italy)

I play rock/classic rock/hard rock/a tiny bit of metal and this guitar was really well suited. I used it with several solid state and modeling amps. It never was noisy and the sound is more or less the one you expect from a Les Paul, with warm and full tones (naturally you don't have to expect it to sound like a 1959 Les Paul Custom).

I couldn't say I didn't love this guitar, because in general I still think it's a pretty good deal for the money. But the out-of-the-box flaws I experienced were very irritating and forced me to spend additional 180 (almost 250$) on the guitar on locking tuners, fret leveling and new nut! Would I buy it again? NO, in fact I sold it after 5 months and now I'm about to buy a LTD EC-1000, more expensive YES but with tons more of quality. If I could go back in time, I'd save more money and buy the LTD instead (then again, with the extra money I had to put on the Les Paul, I could almost get the EC 1000 right away). If you want to buy one, TRY IT and look for any possible flaw. Be sure to check if it stays in tune. If you find a particular well-built model, it could be a good deal.

I don't know about the reliability of this guitar since I sold it after 5 months. During that period of time it always gave me the impression of a pretty robust thing, but given the initial issues I had I wouldn't bet my house on this.

The guitar was terribly set-up at the factory. High action, ridiculous strings, unbeliavably bad string wounding (my luthier said "I've never seen anything like this... It looks like the job of a 5 year old"). The guitar had a fret in urgent need of leveling, and it just couldn't stay in tune. Every 2-3 mintues of playing (I'm not joking) you needed to re-tune, especially the G string. I brought it to the luthier to get a professional setup, and he tried any possible thing (even changing the nut) before changing the tuners, but that was just the problem. Once I changed the original crappy tuners with locking Grover Rotomatics the guitar could stay in tune for days. They say lately Gibson quality control is a bit "distracted", well I can assure you that it's the truth, at least for my guitar.

My Les Paul Studio was (I already sold it) a 2009 model in Faded Worn Cherry color. I think there's no need to repeat again the specs, since they were already clearly explained in the other reviews. The included Gibson gig bag is just hideous, light years worse than the Fender Deluxe Gig Bag I have on my American Special Stratocaster. I instantly bought a DeSalvo hard case.