Les Paul Studio Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Studio Faded

Purchased from: Ebay

I play everything but lately have been getting into grunge. I've had a Gibson SG for many years and only traded it in for a Les Paul for the extra sustain. Also I have grown weary of the cheesy SG look. I am very familiar with the pickup setup on the SG and the LP is identical. I'm running it through a BOSS DS-1 into an Orange Tiny Terror. The sound is amazing, same as the SG. Only I find that changing the pickup and adjusting the tone controls has much more of a dramatic effect on the LP than the SG, allowing for a wider range of tones. And the heavier body means more sustain of course.

Amazing guitar. Wish I'd bought it in the first place instead of the SG, or maybe had both. Works very well with the grunge I've been writing and surprisingly the brown faded look is a hell of a lot meaner than the Cherry SG. I recommend it to anyone, regardless of musical style. If I lost it I'd be devastated and find a new one straight away,

I've had the guitar a few months. I am having a problem with the pickup selector, sometimes the neck pickup doesn't engage properly without a little fiddling. I don't blame this on the guitar, rather the previous owner. But it's worth mentioning, just in case it's a common problem.

The balance is the first thing I noticed on the LP, the SG used to spin when I let go of it on the strap due to the heavy neck. The LP is perfectly balanced. I can let go of it in perfect confidence. I found it alot smaller than it looks on the TV, maybe it's just me.

Les Paul Studio Faded, brown. 450 used on eBay. Soft case, 10 gauge Ernie Ball strings. Dual humbuckers (I think 498r and 490t but there is alot of confusion as to which year/model has which pickups. 3 way pickup selector (Bridge, Bridge/Neck, Neck). Separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. Input port on edge of guitar body with straight cable as opposed to right angled on the face of guitar body on SG.

cliff niesen
    Lets get to the BLOODY point here, now mate! I bought a faded Brown studio! In 2014 they made the faded brown LPJ. are they the same?
    FaceTomorrow
    Is this guitar now replaced by the LPJ? In that case see if you can get a Faded with a little discount. You will not be disappointed. This is an awesome guitar for the money. The BurstBuckerPros are fantastic and because of the chambered body the weight is much lower than of a Les Paul Standard. I love mine.
    cliff niesen
    Now they are trying to pass off the Gibson LP studio Faded brown which is the original color with the LPJ. The cheap black pickups & the cresses in the wood> They taken our guitar & painted it with gloss & put an electric, plastic tuner on the back of head stock
    sbradbury67
    Mine is a 2010 faded brown model I bought for 550 (with a canadian hardcase)off fleabay. it has a mahogany cap and burstbucker pro pups,it also has a proper rosewood fretboard not the baked maple like the later version with the maple cap.This guitar looks rough and ready and the finish ain't great however I'm about the playin not the lookin and this baby ROCKs like a custom, its a little darker sounding than a standard but I use an EQ with my Orange tube head so this can be compensated for ...put it this way I have been able to dial any tone in that I desire so far. Ive always been a strat guy but this LP is fast becoming my numero uno weopon of choice.