Les Paul Supreme review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Supreme

Purchased from: Lauzon Music

I'm playing through a Laney VH100R. Through the clean channel using the bridge pickup, the guitar is quite shimmery and bright sounding. Switching to the neck, the guitar is quite rich but tends to get to the muddy side. Moving on to a rock style distortion in the bridge position, the guitar gets a bit aggressive and has a bite to it. It's also quite clear and responsive, every nuance and note is heard. Using the neck pickup, the guitar gets into the woman tone territory, albeit a bit muddy. On a metal setting, the guitar still holds up pretty well. Even with copious amounts of distortion, every note can be heard.

I play things from pop to metal, and this thing handles them all very well. I've been playing for 2 years now and own many different guitars, but this one is one of the better ones. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy another one. I highly recommend this guitar.

The guitar is pretty sturdy, it's rock solid. It would be perfectly suitable for Live playing so long as you don't mind dinging the thing. It's pretty dependable but I thought I'd mention that the neck pickup was a dud straight from the factory, it died out after a week or so, but Gibson replaced it. I haven't had any problems with it since. The selector Switch wasn't wired very well either but that's an easy fix. The finish is great. I doubt it will wear easy.

The factory set-up was a bit lousy, there were dead spots and fret buzz. After a second set-up, the guitar played brilliantly. The pickup height was top notch. Everything was routed perfectly and there are no flaws on the guitar itself. There were bubbles on the paint behind the headstock, but nothing major.

Crafted in 2006, the Gibson Les Paul Supreme has your Standard Gibson features. 3-way toggle Switch, 22 frets, 2 humbucking pickups (498T and 490R), and volume and tone controls for each pickup. Mahogany body with a maple cap, headstock, neck and body binding, abalone 'Supreme' inlay on headstock, mahogany neck with an ebony fingerboard. This specific model is different than other Les Paul models as it is chambered. Comes with a hardshell case.

claptonsson199
    richard_edwards wrote: gibson. gah. what a brainwahing franchise. you payed 3000 for a guitar. only for it to be badly setup, badly wired and badly finished. i would have got my money back and got a better custom off my luthier friend. interested? www.wezvenables.co.uk he'll do anything don't advertise, tool.
    owned
    toddos84
    if i cared about punctuation i,d be a schoolteacher,not a guitar player
    Hell yeah! No guitarist need basic literacy skills!
    .Epidemic
    kendog1327 wrote: if i cared about punctuation i,d be a schoolteacher,not a guitar player
    You obviously care enough to use commas, you might as well do it properly you tool; hell, even your commas are doubled and wrongly placed.
    fretsonfire74
    don't advertise, tool.
    Jrchain
    What's with the class envy and elitism? Who cares if you've played 2 years or 42? If the guitar makes your heart beat faster, and you gave your sweat and tears to earn the money to buy it, go ahead. Why should you care what the guy who didn't work as hard as you thinks about how you spend your dough? And if your Mom bought it for you, right on--give her a big kiss and play the hell out of the thing!
    breadstick
    sleepwalker16 wrote: Gibsons are not worth their price. IMO, everyone should buy Ibanez, Jackson, or ESP.
    Yeah cause we all play metal dont we....
    deniman
    rusted gut wrote: Do you know what really really pisses me of? people who play 2 years and own 15 guitars... ive been playing for 3 years with fender squire fat strat amp and pedal i love my guitar... works for me... and i am really serious about it! But this guy sounds as though he knows what he is talking about so ill make an exeption for him though. But all the guys who begs their moms for a guitar each month... Grrrrr
    at least he has good taste lol
    perilouspete
    RockxSaosin
    DeathByStereo23 wrote: too many flaws for the price paid. if I have to pay 3000 bucks I want a PERFECT guitar
    Yeah,good point,like,thats a good price for a custom made les paul,maybe even more...but for a blue fender strat,I do agree with you,but hes rich and he wants the stuff that cost the most
    RockxSaosin
    I agree with you. I have been playing for 2 years and I only have 1 acoustic,which I had the whole first year of playing,but then I didnt even get a real guitar,I got an electric washburn lyon(im not saying its bad) but I have had the acoustic for 2 years and the electric for 1 year,and they still both play great...and what also gets me mad is how rich people think that since they can play 1 instrument,that they can play like 4 other ones too,my friend plays bass,and he has two basses,O.K.,but then his mom went out and bought him a Blue Fender Stratocaster for $3000...anyone else think differently then me about that?
    Guitar Sushi
    I'd go with an Ibanez or a Jackson. Those Dean Razorbacks are looking pwetty. But Gibson is overpriced and doesn't give a great sound...
    LeviLance
    Okay for everyone who says gibsons are too expensive they are totally not!! They are great guitars that is why they are expensive!! Of course if your not really in a band just buy a Strat or Tele b ut a gibson is a must for any serious guitar player.
    Stringz of Fury
    wow i have played my guitar teachers custom Gibson les paul and i like my ibanez rg370dx more and mine was only 450$ his les paul was like 2 grand
    Grim-Ripper
    Les Paul - superb guitar,, no question but i think for the price of the Supreme,, it should have been in better condition than that
    Viking_Swede666
    perilouspete wrote: mister bass guy wrote: Gibsons are not worth their price. IMO, evershould buy Ibanez, Jackson, or ESP. I second that...and schecters What about Dean? I've been interested in them lately, the prices are good and it seems like more artists are playing them in the last 5 years (Megadeth, unofficially Zakk Wylde, Jerry Catrell a few years ago). Is their quality good or are they pretty lousy?
    the reason everyone's been playing dean over the past couple years is because Dimebag died and they want publicity. trust me, you'd be ALOT better off with an ESP or a Jackson.
    Bellz06!
    great review... i love gibson guitars in my opinion they are the best make out there. i have a Gibson SG Special and it plays brilliantly.. thinkin of gettin a les paul soon tho so the review really helped! thanks for writin it
    aliceinnirvana
    I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and it's so much better than a lot of Gibson's I have played. It was only like 550 american dollars. If I wanted the type of guitar this Supreme is supposed to be, I would go with a Paul Reed Smith.
    blazerok
    well this quitar seems good, i only think this dude wasnt lucky at all and bough a flawed gibson
    StratPat
    maximus69er wrote: you tool who the hell pays 3100 dollars american for a guitar as badly made as that. did you even look at that guitar when you bought it?
    Yeah, didnt you even check out a guitar you're about to pay 2k for!?
    pestcontrol
    spending 3000 dollars means you must be quite an artist...perhaps you are, but considering the pickups are not amazing and that the guitar came with quite a list of defects for the price listed it most definitely isn't worth it. for the same price you could get a kickass looking guitar with better gear. you're clearly paying top dollar for the gibson franchise...consider esp/schecter/jackson etc
    smi5575
    yer for that price you got ripped off, paint bubbles, poorly set up and a dud pickup. you would have found better quality in a tokai
    MorgothAkerfelt
    $3000 for a guitar with that many flaws? 8.6? Gibson? It sure looks nice, but I think someones making their mum pay for their instruments. No one who payed three grand themselves for something that stuffed would have given it such a high rating. Sure its a pretty good guitar though (like everyone else who assumes Gibsons are great.)
    Nick-182
    two years of playing...and you have a $3000, thats madness. ive been playing nearly 4 years and i still have a second hand 100-ish guitar. i think i need to get a new guitar :|
    [[.:jess:.]]
    mdsmith1 wrote: looks very nice indded. like heaven after the ugly "inverted v" incident we all had to bear.....ugh. this is how its done, gibson.
    AHAHA.
    saint_berzerker
    richard_edwards
    lespaul4eveR
    WOW my first epi Les Paul came better than that thing did in the first guys review... i would murder gibson if i got a guitar like that.
    RC52190
    saint_berzerker wrote: Wow....an even more overpriced Les Paul..just what we needed. It wasn't barely 15 yrs ago you could get a Standard for 1000 bucks new. These things are just ridiculous.
    I hate when people talk economics while they reflect on a time that was a decade or more before the present. No one ever takes inflation into account. Gibson's prices 15 years ago were just as overpriced as today. Just sounds like less compared to now because of inflation. 15 years doesn't sound like a lot but in an economy it is, especially the American economy where it has had so much trouble in the past decade.
    RC52190
    Nothing about this guitar makes it worth the pricetag on it. I can get this same thing for a quarter of the price just by changing the name on the headstock. It's sickening how pretentious ol' Gibson thinks it's justified to charge that much for their own name
    stndrdprcdre
    I sure do seem to be hearing a lot about Gibson's QC issues these days. Seems I hear more negative things than positive, although almost all of the complaints are in reference to the guitar's cosmetics.
    asalvi98
    americablanco wrote: I don't think this is hand made...I would send this to Epiphone if you know what I mean...
    Doesn't sound worth it for the price, it would probably be cheaper and better quality on epephone (i dont like the color and it needs a pickgaurd)
    Robbgnarly
    I would not have paid $3000 for a guitar that had so many flaws, just goes to show that Gibson's QC has fallen so badly in the last decade. I'd rather get a PRS CU22 for $2300, and you dont have to worry about anything!
    jack_freeman
    Thanks both were interesting and answerd some questions I had. I had ishues with my new one my old one Ive had for 26 years and never had a problem.. Im gona have the picups looked at now. Thanks Guys.
    Epirechaun694
    I love how Gibson mostly concentrates on looks now. They keep making "new" LP models that are all pretty much re-creations of standard models. Same wood, pickups, specs, hardware, yet they find a way to paste someone's name or a slightly different finish on it that accounts for most of the (ridiculous) price...and then the guitar sounds like crap because of all the things they did to it to make it look so good. I hate advertisements on these pages just as much as the next guy, but Epiphone is definitely the way to go for a good looking les paul that sounds good and is affordable.