Melody Maker review by Gibson

Gibson: Melody Maker

Purchased from: Woodbrass.com

I play rock, indie and alternative, and it's really fine. It's almost the same guitar as Carl Barat (Libertines/Dirty Pretty Things) and you can get that crunchy tone. I'm using it with an Orange Crush 30R amp and a Behringer UD100 Distorsion unit. It's a typical Gibson sound due to the mahogany body, but the single coil Vintage stle pickup give to this guitar a great tone, a bit cleaner. The guitar can produce lots of sounds and there's a big difference between the neck and the bridge pickup, so you can get a big range of sounds. I love the distorded sound, Gibson guitars are really good with a bit of distorsion.

I play rock, indie and alternative, and it's really fine. I've been playing for some moths now and I'm using it with an Orange Crush 30R amp and a Behringer UD100 Distorsion unit. If it were stolen/lost, I'd not buy the same, I like to change. I'd probably get another Gibson but I'd look for a higher quality. I chose this because Gibson is known for their crunchy tone and a legendary quality. At first I hesitated within a Mexico Strat or this, but I finally chose Gibson.

I think it will withstand Live playing because there are artists playing on these actually. I said Carl Barat because he's one of my favourites, but I've seen others. The hardware and the strap buttons seem solid. I can depend on it and I would use it on a gig without backup. It's a Gibson, after all. The finish doesn't seem good enough to last, it seems thin and easy to wear off with one year of hard playing.

For this price, it's hard to make better, but let's say that that Gibson "Made In USA" quality's not the same as you can see on more expensive guitars. The Vintage sunburst finish is not excellent, I don't think it's handmade like other guitars. The rest is okay.

Gibson Melody Maker Dual Pickup vintage sunburst, made in 2007 in Nashville, TN, USA. It has a '59 Rounded neck (pretty fat), 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, dot inlays. The body and the neck wood is mahogany. I have the Satin Vintage Sunburst finish. It comes with a wrap-around tailpiece, a volume knob and a tone knob, a toggle switch. It has Gibson Deluxe tuners. Mine has two single coil vintage style pickups. There are no acceossories at all, just the guitar in a nice box.

led,rainsong
    Quoteman
    Acid_(b)Rain wrote: How could You choose this piece of **** over a mexico Strat!?!
    Because Mexican Stratocasters and Gibson Melody Makers are such similar guitars...
    saintjimmy924
    dez_bone wrote: if its good enough for slash its good enough for me. check out the velvet revolver cover of psycho killer (live) on you tube to see slash and his melody maker in action.
    he put a humbucker in it though
    Floydian45
    tenaciousjp wrote: the f*cking uglyest guitar from gibson
    Ever hear of the Gibson reverse V? That, my friend is the "f*cking uglyest guitar from gibson" imo. The melody maker doesn't look ALL that bad.
    davasei
    It's ugly, i would rather buy a epiphone, maybe the ultra II, i love that guitar, but this not. It's the uglyest guitar gibson 's made
    AdamOnDrums
    cukd7x-a2- wrote: the melody maker in gh2 is much cooler...
    Well buy it in the game, and then realize, that GH sucks? But i think people should watch out for what they're typping (or how the hell its spelled :]) because, yes this is an ugly guitar, but if you never tryed, how do you know it sucks? Think people think
    Ali-b912
    YYZX wrote: WishfulShredder wrote: these are 1000$ f----ing dollars australian 1100 for the two pickup version! and thats the Cheapest one... They're $1798 australian for the single pickup one
    depends where you are. for me they are $800 for the single and the dual apparently doesnt exist.
    hidoodwazzup
    You guys have no idea what you're talking about. In fact you probably don't even play guitar. Take MY advice this guitar is great for everything. you guys reviewing it are like 13 year olds with squiers or epiphones. THIS GUITAR ROCKS. JOHN MAYER USED THE SAME GUITAR (THE WHITE DUAL PICKUP VERSION) TO RECORD CONTINUUM IT SOUNDS GREAT!
    BlisteringDDj
    forwhomthebells wrote: kt_guitarist wrote: i think this is one of the uglyest guitars gibson makes Yes.
    I think it looks nice, but since it's the cheapest Gibson you can get, I'm unsure about the quality...
    speedofthepuma
    ok you dueshbags that say you would rather have a epiphone, no there is basicly no epiphone that matches up to this, you may think that the epiphone is cheaper and the same version of a gibson, but it isnt, ive played extensivley on a sg and les paul, and the sound of the epiphone is cheap, gibson is always the victor
    Entendu
    I have a 1960 double cut model Melody Maker. Not a Reissue. It's pretty sweet.
    nrlsky
    Notice how all the people knocking the guitar are 14 year olds who have never played it... All the people that like it tend to be have experience and actually played it. I assure you, for the price range, this is the best deal by far. I paid $350 for a brand new dual pick up model. The guitar is amazing. I like it much more than the Epiphone Les Paul standard. It has a great tone, sustain, craftsmanship,and versatility. Not to mention, American made guitars hold their value very well. Used Epiphones are significantly cheaper than their MSRP, but almost all Gibsons are close to their MSRP or in many cases much more!
    YYZX
    They're $1798 australian for the single pickup one
    Nailgun
    After playing it for a bit all I can say is " It is very easy to play, play for hours at a time. With my Blues custom amp its BB or ZZ any time I want.. The duel P's are like night and day, a must have with the MM.. Bottom line its well worth the $$$ and don't folks talk you out of playing it, just try it out.
    corson456
    i love this guitar i have the one with the white finish, and its beautiful. it only cost me $350
    WishfulShredder
    AlexAvarice
    Horrible guitars like this are built and bought because there is a market for fools who will buy it just to have the Gibson logo on it. Honestly, with that money, you could get a much efficient, stylish, and versatile guitar and still have money left over. Oh, and before all of you send me messages of how I'm wrong, just know that I've played on FOUR of them with various amps, and they ere all trash!
    saintjimmy924
    i have a white single pickup model from 07....i love it! it is an amazing sounding and very versatile guitar for the price it is basically a stripped down les paul with one pickup(or two) and without the glossy finish!
    mrbiscuits315
    Entendu wrote: I have a 1960 double cut model Melody Maker. Not a Reissue. It's pretty sweet.
    Ive got a 1959. Ownt. Not original pickup gaurd though.
    |\puto_rodas/|
    For the style it is, I pretty much like the finish... well its just taste U know, but Yeah Id say that the finish can be seen as a not-versatile finish, because I think some guitars have the looks to suit all musical styles, but this one would work pretty bad as a heavier style... ...oppinions! Rock On |m|
    dez_bone
    I got mine today and its the mutts nuts, matt black perfectly setup took it out of the box tuned it and it put a massive smile on my face. To me it sounds like a cross between a Les Paul jnr and a SG. I do have a liking for good quality but basic guitars: I have a Fender Highway 1 tele (none of your Ibanez Jems for me). Basic plank (if you can call mahogany basic), good machine heads and an excellent sounding pickup what more do you need (except talent that is).
    hollowbody_335
    Im thinking about getting one of these, i have a epiphone 335 that looks great and i think that this also looks great. To me it looks great for the price and from the comments being left i can see that its people who are too botherd about how they look in the mirror with the guitar rather than how they sound that are running this guitar down. I just wish one of my local guitar shops had them in stock for me to try out.
    Mrtomtwo
    i played a '65 double cut melody maker yesterday and god did it sound sweet, i dont know why people knock this guitar so much. from my POV it's a beautiful guitar. maybe not so much like the LP supremes and such but it's kinda cool because its small and you dont think the sound will blow your mind when you pick it up, but play it and it will prove you wrong. and comparing this thing to a Strat is like comparing chalk with cheese. I own a reverse strat and an SG standard and almost anyone can tell the difference in their sounds. not because of the quality but because of the timbre of them. the melody maker is a great guitar for 300 and i dont think that buying an Epi and then saying hmm i've gone off this lets get an ibanez or something will do much to help your bank balance. A melody maker will last a long time but i suppose its like marmite really. you either love it or you hate it
    dez_bone
    warrenguitar
    Not the greatest color scheme (quite depressing really) but really cool in terms of a quality guitar!
    bird hill road
    you people who are comparing the mm and epiphones are obviously not very experienced guitarplayers. the mm is a single-coil pu guitar - how can you compare them with humbucker pu guitars? the only similarity is the shape (lp-style).
    AC/DCchris
    kt_guitarist wrote: i think this is one of the uglyest guitars gibson makes
    i looks so bad
    ds5540
    for that price it cant be a very good quality. probably just some cheap pickups and one layer of paint or somethin
    goldenslumbers
    i agree that its the ugliest guitar gibson has made.....the pick guard just looks horrible on the guitar
    ExDeath
    heh heh i look at all the people who bought it from someplace beside musicansfriedn and payed more than 3. lol u silly gooses
    stratdud39
    looks ok, but a mexican strat wud b a way better decision, and people usually buy gibsons for those humbucker full tone sounds, and this is a bit different
    I_Pwn
    I've got one of the older ones, and love it to death. This is kinda lame though, with the pick-guard, and now they're making dual pick-up MM's. Screw that.
    knotslip
    manutd4lyf wrote: its not that bad - its just the dodgy scratchplate
    hahahonestly who gives a rats ass bout the scratch plate.its the sound or watever that matters
    NorfIrIon
    led,rainsong wrote: i dont like it very much i think id rather get an epiphone at around the same price although i'd have to try them out this guitar seems like it is just a cheap guitar that gibson made because they had to
    I didn't know, as a kajillion dollar company, that they had to do anything. I appreciate the fact that they're giving people with fewer opportunities (aka moneys) to use their products, and I believe it's a nice gesture from some people who could just as easily make a whole new line of $20,000 guitars, and they would sell, too.