Melody Maker review by Gibson

Gibson: Melody Maker

Purchased from: eBay

Its Suits my music style perfectly (rock, blues, alternative ect.) because of it's specialy designed Vintage style pickup. I Usually use it through my Orange Crush 30R or my Peavey studio pro 112, it sounds great through both amps but when I want heavy distorsion. The hum is incredibly loud, it feeds back if you get close to the amp too. It has a nice bright sound but it's can still be full and rich if you want. I would recomend this guitar to anybody who wants to play rock, indie, blues, alternative, punk or maybe even some jazz.

I play rock, blues alternative, it's great. I have been playing for 2 years, now and I also own a Parker nitefly mojo. Before buying this guitar I wish I had straplocks and a 90 degree jack for my lead. If it were stolen or lost I would not buy it again, I would probably get a Hagstrom Ultra Swede, I think they are much better value and they play better too. I love the Light weight body of the Gibson and the sunburst finish. I hate the headstock as it is slimmer than other Gibson models and in my opinion I don't like it very much. My favourite feature is the awesome Vintage style pickup, it has a great tone. I wish it had a Tune-o-Matic bridge, that would complete this guitar. Overall it's a great guitar, not as good as other Gibsons but it's better than an Epiphone, it's a great first Gibson.

I have not gigged this guitar but I'm pretty confident that it would be alright on stage, although I would need to get some strap-locks (just like on any guitar). The hardware seems pretty solid (afterall, this guitar has genuine Gibson hardware). You can't realy talk 'quality finish' on a satin finished instrument, but I prefer the satin anyway because it's easy to repair and if I get sick of the colour I can just strip it back and paint it whatever colour I want! I think I could depend on it on stage, it is very reliable and it isnt as bad as everyone says it is, it's almost Gibson USA quility.

I'm not sure if the guitar came with the factory set-up or not because I bought it second hand, though it most-likely is because the guitar came mint and was probably an unwanted gift or something. Anyway the setup is great to play, there is some slight fret buzzing but I'm sure it can be fixed. As for the pickups, they were set up perfect for me, nice and high for lots of trebble. There aren't realy any factory falts apart from the tone knob being abit wobbley.

This is the single pickup edition made in the USA, I have no idea when this guitar was made but I'm assuming that it was between '04 and '06. It has 22 medium frets with a rosewood fingerboard and a '59 Rounded neck and Dot inlays. It has a Les Paul solid flat-top which Is made from mahogany and finished in satin Gibson sunburst, the neck is also mahogany. It has a Gibson raparound tailpiece with passive electronics. It has 1 volume and one tone to control a single "vintage style" pickup which is very similar to a P-90 but with increased highs (great for rock, punk or anything with distorsion). It Has Gibson Deluxe tuners like the ones you find on a SG Special. It comes in a Vintage-look box with no accessories at all.