Melody Maker review by Gibson

Gibson: Melody Maker

Purchased from: eBay!

I play indie/rock and this guitar suits it very well. I used to use a '52 Telecaster but I found it was unable to play thick crunchy riffs all that well. The single-coils in this seem to do it and they don't feedback much at all on stage (unless you stand right next to your amp). Much noisier than the Telecaster (and the humbucker in my custom Telecaster) so I guess it's pretty powerful. Lots of sustain. Really versatile, but I wouldn't use it for metal or anything too high-gain.

The guitar plays really well (after you adjust to playing with the bigger neck) and because it has quite a flat fretboard it's good for lead and riffs. It's better than my '52 Telecaster and I prefer to it to my other guitars. If it was stolen I would consider buying another one but the neck might put me off. I would probably go for a Fender Jaguar because it looks more versatile.

The guitar easily withstands Live playing, even with a Sex Pistols style "smash instruments about a bit" at the end of the set. Never had any problems with it at all. The strap buttons are tiny so straplocks are pretty essential but apart from that it's solid and I play without a backup.

Because it only has a wraparound bridge the guitar is impossible to intonate and lowering the action is awkward. It came out of the box playing OK but I lowered the action a bit. It seems to be in pretty good shape (I've been gigging and rehearsing with it for about 6 months) but the finish chips away quite easily, mine has a few major dings from minor abuse. Nothing has broken on it and everything works as it should.

Made in '07 in Nashville Tennessee, it's a 22 fret beast with an uncarved mahogany top and a Vintage sunburst finish. Mine is the two pickup model (because I wanted more versatility) and the guitar comes with a huge '59 neck. Didn't get any stuff with it, just the box and a setup certificate from Gibson. It all works pretty well and is quite a nice looker.