Melody Maker review by Gibson

Gibson: Melody Maker

Price paid: € 350

Purchased from: Pro Musica (cork)

I play punk, hard rock, blues, alternative, a bit of metal....this guitar covers most of them very well once you know how to dial the tone right...I even managed to get a credible metal sound out of it, but look, this isn't a metalhead's guitar, if you want to play metal, you buy a dean, esp, bc rich or schector...not a Gibson melody maker!! This guitar is absolutly astonishing for punk and blues... I have played and owned multiple guitars, this one is by far the best I've played for a fast punk or hard rock crunchy rythm sound. a1 gibson!! Side note; it even made a Crate GT1200H sound good o.O)

well, initial impression is very good! My main guitar before this was a Les Paul standard, which ways a tonne! Needless to say this lightweight beauty is a godsend! Thick Les Paul sounds, twangy Telecaster sounds...all at your fingertips in this guitar...for this sort of money they're giving them away...these guitars deserve to be played by more people..I used to think for ages that these guitars were cheap and useless....then I tried one out and bought it in the same day! This guitar is a keeper!!

Apart from the incredibly tiny strap pins, this guitar is definatly up to scratch and just begs to be gigged with. I would feel pretty confident gigging without a backup...it's a simple guitar...there's really not much that can go wrong on this one.. Wish it had a Les Paul Junior pickguard, as the only colour that the pickguard suits is the colour I have (sunburst).

Guitar came in perfect condition..I love the satin finish...the only reason it'll come off is if you mistreat your guitar, and if you do that....well you really have no reason to give out ffs! Overall, as per the general feel of the guitar, somple guitar done well!

Made in the usa in 2009, rosewood fretboard, mahogany body and set mahogany neck. Sunburst finish. Wrap around tailpiece, on single pickup in the bridge, and Gibson deluxe tuners. Overall, good simple guitar done right! My only complaint is that the tuners could hold tune a little better, they are good, but I'm used to good grover tuners, so that felt like a little step down for me..