Melody Maker review by Gibson

Gibson: Melody Maker

Price paid: € 370

I tend to play alot of punk, hard rock, and metal. It covers EVERYTHING amazingly well (hell, the single coil doesn't stop it from being a great guitar for even metal). Of course, there is a bit of noise off of the pickup, but considering most of my guitars are single coil, I can safely say that this is a reasonably quiet pickup. This guitar is perfect for punk, blues and reggae. And can even be used to immitate muse-esque sounds on a high gain amp to very good effect. Overall, great guitar.

Overall this is a fantastic guitar. I've been playing for 4 and half years, and my playing has gotten to the point where I can outplay my father, a guitar teacher of 15 years. I have played loads of guitars that are much more expensive then this, and yet, this guitar is by far my favourite, without any exception. I have fallen in love with this guitar. To clarify, I have owned this guitar since january, and so to me, it has rightfully owned the high marks (check out my Les Paul Standard Plus top review, and you will see that I don't often give easy marks). Overall, if you're lucky enough to get one as good as mine, you will never want to go back to playing other guitars again.

This guitar, being so simplistic, is a gigging musician's best friend in my opinion. There's so very little that can go wrong on this guitar, I have absolutely no difficulty about it's reliability. It has never let me down, and probably won't. Only complaint are the miniscule strap buttons, but I have strap locks on mine, so it doesn't cause and issue anymore.

The set-up was pretty good in fairness, I didn't really need to do much to the guitar to get it to the Standard I want. Overall the finnish on the sunburst model I have is very attractive. Oh, and to clear one thing up. Loads of people say that the finish comes off very easily. To a large extent, that is a lie. If you're not bumping and scraping this on purpose, your guitar won; t be looking too bad after regular gigging. The finish has stayed just as well on this as my other 5 guitars. So I don't think it is a problem.

Not entirely sure when it was made, I would hazzard a guess that it was made in 2008. It has 22 frets, rosewood fretboard (a gorgeous grain is present through my board), the body is a slab of mahogany, with a satin finish on it. Mine has a wrap around tailpiece and single coil pickup. One tone, one volume. Only complaint I've had over the months I've had it is that the tuners lose tune a bit often. Other then that, a fantastic guitar.