Midtown Custom review by Gibson

Gibson: Midtown Custom

Price paid: € 1200

Purchased from: second hand

This is a Gibson Midtow Custom from 2012 It was made in USA. It has a Black finish. The neck has a Richlite fretboard which is very nice. The midtown is a semi-hollowbody guitar with centreblock. It has the traditional Gibson set-up of semi-hollowbodies from Gibson. The guitar has a set neck with very reachable highs; almost SG-like. It has the great Burstbucker humbucking pickups. Nice custom headstock, block-inlays and binding. Grover tuners which work properly. The midtown custom came with a nice Gibson case.

The sound is not as deep and warm as your traditional semi hollowbody. This is not a jazz guitar although it can definitely do some jazz. Due to the centreblock it can get very loud without feedback. It has a nice clearness and brightness. Sound lies a bit between SG, LP and ES335. It is not noisy at all. It is quiet as a mouse. This guitar can do dirty rock, blues, fusion, funk and jazz. It can do all styles I think, all depending on the rest of gear you use. I play it on Laney, Fender and Marshall tube amps. It reacts very good on pedals. This definitely is not a one-trick-pony.

This guitar feels good. It's set up was kind of high for me, but easy to set up to my needs. The humbucking pickups are built in nicely and setup is very good. I had no problems with the routing. Volume and tone knobs work properly. The pickup selector works well. The binding does not look very sturdy at some places on the body. It has a nice neck and body feel. The frets look good. I like the feel of them and they still look as new. The neck binding is also very nice. No sharp edges or whatsoever.

The binding of this guitar isn't perfect. It looks like it can loosen one day, but i'm not sure if it will. Time will tell. The finish looks pretty solid and sturdy to me, as well as the set neck an the rest of the guitar. The hardware looks good and works properly. I wish it was in nickel. I prefer it over Chrome. It is not a very light guitar. Not as heavy as a Les Paul guitar though. I would definitely gig with it. Not without back up, because I like to have a back up in case of breaking strings.

I play mostly blues, funk, punk and rock. It can do all of these. I've been playing for over 30 years. I play some telecasters and a SG. I also have 2 semi-hollowbodies and some acoustic guitars. The Midtown is capable of getting close in sound to each of them (except for the acoustics of course). That's what I like most about it. Second best is the great custom looks. All in all it is a great guitar for the price. Much better as any Les Paul I had. This Midtown Custom can keep up nicely with my SG.