Midtown Custom Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 05/11/2016 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Midtown Custom
The Midtown Custom is a good guitar, but not a great one. It looks like Gibson made this guitar for rock or metal guitarists who want to be able to say they have a semi-hollow body guitar in their arsenal.
 Features: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 8.2
 8.3
 37,298
reviews (2) pictures (4) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Midtown Custom Reviewed by: shamu1, on october 07, 2014

Purchased from: Trade from Craigslist

Features: I have the 2013 model in ebony, which I got in a trade. I've heard rumors that earlier models had some problems with the Richlite in the fretboard causing the frets to pop out, but I've had no such problems with mine.

Despite what you might hear from others, the Midtown Custom isn't a true semi-hollow bodied guitar. It's more of a solid body guitar with chambering and a couple of "F holes" to make it look like a semi-hollow. First off, it's a heavy guitar, about as heavy as a Les Paul Standard, which is unusual with a true semi-hollow guitar; look at the thickness of the side walls of the body, and you'll see this is really a chambered solid body masquerading as a semi-hollow. More importantly, it doesn't have the resonance of a semi hollow guitar at all, either unplugged or amplified. This is disappointing, because I was hoping for at least SOME of the spaciousness and resonance of a semi hollow body with this guitar, but there is none. You might as well as play a Les Paul, sound-wise. If I did a blindfold test, I'd guess it was a solid bodied guitar. // 6

Sound: I play mostly jazz, so I like to play solely on clean settings. The sound is nothing to write home about, at least for jazz. It sounds sort of like a Les Paul with a thinner sound, and not enough bottom end. Or I guess sort of like an ES-355 without the rich resonance. Basically, it sounds flat, with little depth or richness in its sound, and I think the problem is that the body is not semi-hollow (you can't help but make the comparison, since the guitar tries to look like one), and the wrong kind of pickups. This guitar uses Burstbuckers, and I find these pickups focus too much on output for this guitar, rather than sonic richness. Gibson '57 Classics, along with a thinner body, would have been a much better choice for this axe, but then again, you'd end up with a mini ES-335

The electronics don't help the sound much either. When the tone controls are set to 10, the sound is trebly and thin, with little bottom end. Roll the tone controls down, and the sound turns muddy, though the bass increases a little bit. It's hard to get a good sound out of this guitar using the controls on the guitar alone; you need to fiddle with your amp settings too, in order to get a good sound. I'd think a change of pots and a rewiring could fix this, but why have to do it at all on a $1,400 Gibson

Overall, the Midtown Custom doesn't sound bad, and with some adjustments to the amplifier, I can get an acceptable sound, but I expect much more from Gibson than this. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar shines, and is what has inspired me to keep my Midtown Custom. The looks, construction, playability and feel are all top notch. This is what separates a good Gibson guitar from other brands. The ebony finish with white binding looks incredible, like the guitar is wearing a finely tailored tuxedo. Plus, the "Custom" look of the neck and headstock - block fret markers, binding on the headstock, split diamond, etc. - make it look like something Wes Montgomery would have played. It's a guitar that calls out to you "Play me!" when it's sitting on a stand. Plus, the feel of this guitar is amazing - it's heavy and solid like a tank, plus it feels perfectly balanced across the entire guitar. The neck profile is on the thin side but the weight of the guitar and rock-solid feel make the neck seem thicker. Although the sound leaves something to be desired, the feel and playability of this guitar is awesome, so good that it outweighs its shortcomings in sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This feels like probably the sturdiest guitar I've ever owned. It's heavy and well balanced, and not a knob or screw feels loose or out of place. The finish seems almost bullet proof. No rattles, buzzes or undesired sounds whatsoever come out of this guitar. Everything on this guitar feels and looks tight and polished. I'm not a professional musician, so I've never played this guitar live. However, I can't see why this axe couldn't withstand regular gigging. If my past history with Gibsons means anything, I expect this to last a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: The Midtown Custom is a good guitar, but not a great one. If it weren't for its stunning looks and feel, I would sell mine, because the sound leaves a lot to be desired. My biggest problem with it is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it meant for jazz guitarists? It looks like a jazz box, but it has no depth to its sound, and the sound is too thin for most jazz playing. Is it a blues axe? Maybe, but an ES-335 sounds much better. This leaves me with the conclusion that Gibson made this guitar for rock or metal guitarists who want to be able to say they have a semi-hollow body guitar in their arsenal. Those of you looking for a true semi-hollow or hollow bodied electric should skip this one. // 6

Midtown Custom Reviewed by: willumhayden, on may 11, 2016

Price paid: € 1200

Purchased from: second hand

Features: This is a Gibson Midtow Custom from 2012 It was made in USA. It has a Black finish. The neck has a Richlite fretboard which is very nice. The midtown is a semi-hollowbody guitar with centreblock. It has the traditional Gibson set-up of semi-hollowbodies from Gibson. The guitar has a set neck with very reachable highs; almost SG-like. It has the great Burstbucker humbucking pickups. Nice custom headstock, block-inlays and binding. Grover tuners which work properly. The midtown custom came with a nice Gibson case. // 9

Sound: The sound is not as deep and warm as your traditional semi hollowbody. This is not a jazz guitar although it can definitely do some jazz. Due to the centreblock it can get very loud without feedback. It has a nice clearness and brightness. Sound lies a bit between SG, LP and ES335. It is not noisy at all. It is quiet as a mouse. This guitar can do dirty rock, blues, fusion, funk and jazz. It can do all styles I think, all depending on the rest of gear you use. I play it on Laney, Fender and Marshall tube amps. It reacts very good on pedals. This definitely is not a one-trick-pony. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar feels good. It's set up was kind of high for me, but easy to set up to my needs. The humbucking pickups are built in nicely and setup is very good. I had no problems with the routing. Volume and tone knobs work properly. The pickup selector works well. The binding does not look very sturdy at some places on the body. It has a nice neck and body feel. The frets look good. I like the feel of them and they still look as new. The neck binding is also very nice. No sharp edges or whatsoever.

// 9

Reliability & Durability: The binding of this guitar isn't perfect. It looks like it can loosen one day, but i'm not sure if it will. Time will tell. The finish looks pretty solid and sturdy to me, as well as the set neck an the rest of the guitar. The hardware looks good and works properly. I wish it was in nickel. I prefer it over Chrome. It is not a very light guitar. Not as heavy as a Les Paul guitar though. I would definitely gig with it. Not without back up, because I like to have a back up in case of breaking strings. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues, funk, punk and rock. It can do all of these. I've been playing for over 30 years. I play some telecasters and a SG. I also have 2 semi-hollowbodies and some acoustic guitars. The Midtown is capable of getting close in sound to each of them (except for the acoustics of course). That's what I like most about it. Second best is the great custom looks. All in all it is a great guitar for the price. Much better as any Les Paul I had. This Midtown Custom can keep up nicely with my SG. // 10

Comments