Robot Les Paul Studio LTD review by Gibson

Gibson: Robot Les Paul Studio LTD

Purchased from: guitar center

I play through a Line 6 Flextone II Plus. It sounds great on every setting. It sounds great unplugged for that matter. The rich full sound of this guitar is beautifully enhanced by the 490r and 498t hand wound Gibson humbuckers. It's very quiet when not being played. Almost to the point of wondering if you're plugged in or if your volume knob is turned down.

I play classic rock and country, a little hard rock and metal(old school 80's). It has suited me very well for all of these styles. If it were stolen or lost it would be irreplaceable.Mine is no.677 out of the 2000 produced for sale here in the States. I love the sound of this guitar. It has such a full rich sound it inspires me to play more often and for longer periods of time than I used to. It's truely beautiful to behold as well. People are literally awed by the sight of it when you strap it on. I've been playing for 25 years and I've owned some nice guitars in that time('84 Gibson V, Fender Srat, Gibson SG, Fender Thinline Tele to name a few). Nothing compares to the quality of this guitar.

I have been doing a four hour show once a week since february and although it's not the only guitar I use, (I have a lot of acoustic material), it is the only one that hasn't given me any problems.This guitar is solid as a rock. I'd have no problem using this guitar alone. It's almost like having more than one guitar with you.

Perfectly setup at the factory. Everything as well put together as anyone could ask for. The only flaw on mine was in the finish and it was significant enough to warrant a refinish job that Gibson performed for me at no cost to me. On a limited edition 1st run instrument you don't want to look down and see a huge "Orange peel" on the body alongside of the place where the fretboard mounts to the body.

This particular instrument was born in the Gibson factory in Nashville, Tennesse in 2007. It has all of the Standard features of a Les Paul Studio so I'll focus on the features unique to the robot itself. The robot features a "brain" that monitors the string tension of the instrument and makes calculated adjustments based on that information. It will tune to Standard 440, dropped D, Double dropped D, open E, delta blues tuning (DGDGBD), DADGAD open D, and down 1/2 step, It will tune to a reference pitch you select. You can also create your own alternate tuning and save it over any of the presets you want. In string up mode it will help you string up by winding the strings for you while monitoring the string tension. It winds the string until it reaches the proper string tension which leaves the string virtually in tune which is awesome if you're at a gig and break a string. It will also preform the same function to remove your strings(string down mode). It also features an intonation function that is incredibly accurate. I have used this function once and it worked like a charm. You can also adjust the speed and accuracy of the tuning process. It comes with a self contained rechargable battery pack that powers the robot features. Expect more than 200 tunings per charge and it has an LED readout when you turn it on that tells you how much power is left in the battery.The machine heads on this instrument are referred to as the powerheads and they have several features themselves. First of all they have "locking technology" The posts screw down onto the strings "locking" them into place and the pegs pull out and push in to engage and disengage the gears inside of the powerhead. The powerheads recieve electricity from the battery through the strings so don't touch the strings while tuning. You will recieve a lite shock. I did this a few times by accident before I figured out what was shocking me. It felt like static electicity. It comes equipped with Gibson hand wound 490r and 498t in the bridge and neck positions respectivly. The body is made up of a chambered mahogany base and solid maple top cap. It has a one piece solid mahogany neck with a beautifully bound ebony fingerboard. A 12" radius, scale length of 24 3/4" and trapezoid inlays. One of a kind blue silverburst nitrocellulose finish. All packed tightly into a one of a kind silver hard shell case with a three digit combination lock on it.