Robot Les Paul Studio LTD review by Gibson

Gibson: Robot Les Paul Studio LTD

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I play rock and blues. Ranges from SRV-style blues to GNR type rock to punk and metal. The guitar can do all of it except for the blues. It CAN do it well, but I have a Strat that I prefer for that. I'm using the LP robot with a Marshall JCM 800 2203 and a Fulldrive 2 MOSFET OD pedal. I also use other effects like wah and delay occasionally and they all sound good with it. I love the neck pup on the robot. With the OD pedal I get a very nice saturated sound that is great for soloing. Roll down the volume knob and it cleans up very nice, although it lacks the grit that my LP Classic has when I roll back the volume on that. It does get a very nice clean though. The pups also respond well to variations in your picking attack - pick softer and it's cleaner, pick hard and it gets louder and dirtier. I know this is mainly the amp, but I have played some guitars through the amp that didn't have that sort of response. The bridge pup has a higher output and sounds very nice with the OD pedal, although I wish it was a little bit higher output on it's on going straight into the amp.

Overall I love this guitar. I bought it because of the price I got for it and was a little nervous until I got it. It's better than I thought it would be and the tuning system has worked flawlessly so far (knock on wood) and is very easy to use. I still think I prefer my Gibson Les Paul Classic though. They both feel great to play, but I like the pups in the Classic a little bit better. They just have a little higher output and have more of a raw, gritty feel to them. I could easily swap out the pups in the robot and have that same sound if I wanted to though. If I lost it or it was stolen I would buy another at the price I bought it for, but if I had to pay the normal price of $2000 or more I would probably look for another LP Classic or LP Traditional or something.

This guitar withstands Live playing. I play my guitars hard Live and have not had any problems with it. I actually bought this guitar as a backup to my LP Classic. I was wanting another LP and then when I saw Sam Ash was having a blowout sale I jumped at the chance to get one. It's all quality hardware. The strap buttons were solid but I replaced them with locking tuners as guitar straps seem to slip off of the stock straps that come on LPs for whatever reason. For the price of some strap locks I wouldn't risk having my guitar go crashing to the ground or flying into a stage light (sometihng that happened once with an Ibanez) just because the strap slipped off of the strap button. You could use this guitar without a backup if you wanted as you can use it for every song regardless of what tuning the song is in. You still run the risk of breaking a string or something though. So if you don't want to have to take a timeout to change a string I'd take a backup.

The guitar came to me with the action a little bit high. I did order it online from Sam Ash and it shipped from Tampa (which is humid) out to Texas (which is just a little bit drier) so that could have effected it too. The pup height was set well and I didn't get any string buzzing. The guitar itself did not contain any flaws at all. The only problem was that it was missing the cable that plugged went from the charging adapter to the wall. I called Sam Ash and they offered a $50 discount on the $999 I paid for it or to exchange it if I wanted, but they didn't have any extras to send me. The guitar was great so I didn't want to exchange it so I took the discount and called Gibson who then supplied me with one. The tuners, pup selector, knobs and everything were tight and on properly. The neck was aligned, hardware was all in great condition, etc. My only complaint was the cord that went from the adapter to the wall missing, and that was taken care of.

This is a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Robot guitar. Mine has a metallic green finish with 22 frets and an ebony fretboard. It also sports the nice inlays that everyone is used to seeing on a LP and has binding on the neck and headstock. The body is mahogany with a maple top. The main feature of this guitar is the tuning system. It tunes to Standard, dropped D, Double dropped D, open E, delta blues tuning (DGDGBD), DADGAD open D, and down 1/2 step, It will also tune to a reference pitch you select and check the intonation of each string. The system is very simple to use. It features the Standard 2 volume and 2 tone knobs that all LPs have, but the tone knob for the neck pup is a push/pull knob. It is the MCK (Master Control Knob). When you pull it out it activates the self-tuning features. I'm not going to go into what the different LED displays on the MCK mean, but but selecting the tuning you want and just lightly strumming the strings it will tune to the selected tuning in about 10 seconds. The feature is not worth it if you only plan to go from Standard to dropped D, but if you are changing the tuning of every string it is very helpful. Especially if you want to change tunings Live and not have to have extra guitars just for a different tuning on one song. It has a Tune-Control bridge which is a modified Tune-O-Matic bridge that works with the CPU and Powerhead Locking Tuners to tune the guitar. It features a 490R pup in the neck and 498T in the bridge. They feature the characteristics of the PAF but with more upper mid-range response. The 498 swaps the Alnico II magnet to an Alnico V, which makes it slightly hotter with emphasis on mid-ranges and highs. It also has a Neutrik Locking jack which is a nice addition. It also came with a charger. You just plug the charger into the wall and then connect the guitar to it with an instrument cable and it charges. You shouldn't ever have to open the guitar up to get at the battery to do anything.